Profile for brenda > Reviews

Content by brenda

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

brenda (sydney , Nova Scotia Canada)

The Lovely Bones
The Lovely Bones
by Alice Sebold
Price: CDN$ 19.20
309 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a great little read!, Jan. 20 2003
This review is from: The Lovely Bones (Hardcover)
I thought this book was a very enjoyable read. It certainly was a different idea and an entertaining one. The writing was well done, the characters were interesting without too much detail to bore the reader. In fact, I disagree with a previous reviewer who felt the characters weren't developed enough....I believe any further development would have detracted from the story. I thought the author's idea of writing it through the eyes of a child in heaven was absolutely ingenious! I would (in fact, I have) recommend this book to a friend. The ending was not the "Hollywood" cliche either which, in my mind, added much to the story.

A Fit Month for Dying
A Fit Month for Dying
by M.T. Dohaney
Price: CDN$ 14.56
14 used & new from CDN$ 0.96

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book!, Jan. 20 2003
This review is from: A Fit Month for Dying (Paperback)
This was a great book, I thoroughly loved it! The writer captured both the humour and language of Newfoundlanders! In fact, it captured Nflders. much better than "The Shipping News" ever did. I read with delight as Tess described life in the Cove as a child then as she returns to visit her in-laws. The author writes with such an ease, the language is fluid and the story develops well. At first, I thought the story and the betrayal was going to be about Tess's search for her father but I was pleasantly surprised to read it was only a backdrop in the story. I never suspected the "family trouble" but I did figure out Danny's problems while he was home for his father's death. The author certainly packed a lot of story into a small book!! I am going to look for the previous book, "The Corrigan Women" to read in the VERY near future!! Very highly recommended.

The Corrections
The Corrections
by Jonathan Franzen
24 used & new from CDN$ 1.19

4.0 out of 5 stars I really liked it!, Jan. 20 2003
This review is from: The Corrections (Paperback)
At the start of this book, I wondered where the author was trying to take me but less than half way through,I understood. I found this book to have a bit of everything...it stirred many emotions. The writing was excellent and the character development was great. I believe readers could honestly identify with the characters and in fact, could see their own family in the troubles and trials of the Lamberts. This book gave me pause to think about my own family and just how well our parents know us or even how well we know them. We often believe that as our parents age, WE know what's best for them as though they are unable to think for themselves just because they are over 65!!
In short, it was a quirky, intelligent read...but not if you enjoy some of the formulated tales that are on the market today!!