Profile for Brandon Macey > Reviews

Content by Brandon Macey

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Brandon Macey (USA)

Exotic Lyricism
Exotic Lyricism
Price: CDN$ 19.51
16 used & new from CDN$ 14.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Ravel, Dec 19 2003
This review is from: Exotic Lyricism (Audio CD)
I've had the pleasure of hearing Mr. Himy live in concert, playing an all Liszt recital. Three months later I heared Evgeny Kissin play in San Francisco, and among the things he played was the Mephisto waltz. It was brilliant of course but I still prefered Himy's Dazzaling account I had heared three months prior.
The 'Scarbo' from Gaspard de la nuit is amazingly virtuosic. He uses more pedal in 'Ondine' that Ashkenazy's beloved version which I think works remarkably well. Im not prepared to say this disc rivals the likes of Argerich, Ashkenazy or Michelangeli, but it is certaintly a great preformance which any Ravel fan should here.

Brahms: Sonata in F Minor
Brahms: Sonata in F Minor
Price: CDN$ 14.99
26 used & new from CDN$ 3.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning and Dramatic Kissin, Dec 5 2003
'I wish I didn't have to play a virtuosic pieces for the sake of virtuosity. It's not that I dislike these pieces, but I am interested in other things' - Kissin
It seems Kissin has reached a crossroad. I was somewhat suprised by the way he played this sonata. It wasn't what I was expecting but it was no less Delightful. I was drooling when I poped this disc into my cd player, awaiting the euphoria brought about by kissins virtuosity. Instead I got a deep introverted interpretation that seemed to reflect kissins true personality.
I Highly recomend this disc to anyone who likes a deep passionate musical expirience. And for those of you who like the firey technique and amazing control of Kissin, this disc is for you, on account of the encores as well as the sonata. WOW!

Martha Argerich: The Debut Recital: Liszt Sonata in B Minor
Martha Argerich: The Debut Recital: Liszt Sonata in B Minor
Price: CDN$ 14.60
33 used & new from CDN$ 6.85

5.0 out of 5 stars A Debut for both of us, Oct. 25 2003
A long time ago, I found myself wondering through a book/music store. They happened to have a quite small, but quite good music selection. I was browsing, looking for something to buy, since I hadn't spent a dime on a recording in sometime. Among the titles I was considering were Richter's Sofia recital, Ashkenazy's reading of the complete Prokofiev concertos, and even Serkin playing a few Beethoven sonatas. I would later find out that any of these recordings would have provided a feast of riches. But alone they couldn't have prepared me for what I was about to be in for. I decided, finally, to go with the Martha Argerich 'Debut Recital'. You see, I had heard alot about Martha Argerich, but didn't own a single recording of her at that time. I figured it was about time to see what all the fuss was about. Words couldn't describe what I experienced that night...Sure, since then I have heard alot of great recordings. The Barcarolle on this disc was soon rivaled by Rubinstein. The sonata...By Zimerman, or Horowitz...The Hungarian rhapsody, well, Cziffra practically owns those...But despite all those others, there is still a special place in my heart for these recordings. I have never heard such brilliant playing, even today. Absolutely Phenomenal, Impassioned playing. The scherzo, the Toccata, an absolute emberesment of riches. If I could own one recording, this would be it. Buy this CD. Hopefully it will do for you what it did for me.

Live At Wigmore Hall
Live At Wigmore Hall
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 36.95
7 used & new from CDN$ 31.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly phenomenal, Oct. 3 2003
This review is from: Live At Wigmore Hall (Audio CD)
From track 1 on, it is clear that Hamelin is one of piano music's most meteoric talents ever to blaze the pianistic firmament. He dispatches Beethoven as if driven by the very fires of Hell. Surprising, as elements of wry humour are often a characteristic of this artist. But with that aside, this is a brilliantly successful recital.
Hamelin has no equal as an interpreter of Alkan; he inhabits the overheated world of this strange proto-Lisztian figure with a completeness that combines a total mastery of its fearsome technical challenges with an innate understanding of its sometime elusive emotional content.
A huge achievement...and not only technically but musically as well. Hamelin delivers on every level: this recording had me gasping in disbelief, and then laughing out loud at the sheer audacity of it all. Hamelin is a revelation. Where was I before I discovered Him? I might as well have been unconscious.