ARRAY(0xa906839c)

Profile for Riccardo Audano > Reviews

Content by Riccardo Audano

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Riccardo Audano (Chiavari, Italy)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
JBuilder 7.0 EJB Programming
JBuilder 7.0 EJB Programming
by Chuck Easttom
13 used & new from CDN$ 5.99

1.0 out of 5 stars ridiculous book, Jan. 9 2003
I don't think I can find words to describe how bad this book is and how much I have been disappointed by it. I had been waiting for quite some time to get it as I was hoping to find an advanced treatment on automating the "practical" matters of ejb.. generating code but especially deploying on various application servers ( a topic that sadly most ejb books skip since it is "vendor dependent") and how to do all this the right way using JBuilder. This booklet turned out to be a weak introduction to ejb, that just teaches you the very, VERY basics and also in a hurried and superficial manner. And trust me I am not a snobbish theorist or a "I read-only-manuals-and-oreilly-books" kind of guy, and I know a good book when I see one.
The JBulder part is at best laughable: first of all, the code for the book was developed with JBuilder FIVE and the title says proudly 7...The difference doesn't show up much anywasy since the code examples are not even worth calling toy examples.. they are just snippets that could have bene put together by someone who started learning java last week. And as for deploying the examples, good luck man, you are on your own.
Ah, did I mention that the first FIVE chaps are not even on ejbbut just the plain vanilla javabeans? Did I mention that the whole layount of the book and the style of writing reminded me of a high school student who uses the biggest possible Word fonts to fill up the required number of pages of an assignment when he is totally without anything significant to say?

Enterprise Java with UML
Enterprise Java with UML
by C. T. Arrington
20 used & new from CDN$ 4.37

4.0 out of 5 stars Great first UML book for a Java developer, Jan. 4 2003
This is a very good book for someone who has a worked with java at the developer level and is thinking about making the jump to the architect level. Arrington is an experienced teacher and his teaching proficiency shows all along the book. His style is very clear and sometimes repetitive, but that makes sure you get the idea through.
Being a "hands on type of guy" I like the fact that the book explains the theory in the context of developing and example application.
The UML & Object Oriented Analysis section of the book is truly outstanding, while the implementation part leaves a bit to be desired. It is also outdated as it still uses HTML production classes inside Servlets and not JSP. The second edition should fix this.
Overall the best book on UML for a Java developer I have read so far.

Core Java 2, Volume 1: Fundamentals
Core Java 2, Volume 1: Fundamentals
by Cay Horstmann
Price: CDN$ 68.00
34 used & new from CDN$ 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars SOLID & ELEGANT, July 4 2001
I have read and browsed through quite some Java books and I found this one particularly impressive. The style is a bit academic but very clear, concise but understandable. It just makes you feel that the authors should relax a bit, their only defect is they fail to convey the idea that Java is a beautiful language and programming can be fun.(Somehow you get the imprssion that they don't really like Java..). Anyways the material presented is great, the examples are solid but simple enough for you not get lost, and it is full of interesting complex points like reflection and inner classes that get finally explained in a clear and non pretentious way. It also has a lot of examples on Swing components, applets and file I/O. The second volume seems to be even better! This is one of the TWO best Java book. The other one is Beginning Java Programming by Ivor Horton. Buy Core Java if your priority is on style. Buy Ivor's book for a more pleasurable and more "tutorial-like" (but still solid) experience. If possible, buy them both!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5