ARRAY(0xadaad390)

Profile for PeterInVancouver > Reviews

Content by PeterInVancouver

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

PeterInVancouver

Screwed: Movie [Import]
Screwed: Movie [Import]
Price: CDN$ 16.67
14 used & new from CDN$ 10.16

1.0 out of 5 stars Lame: not sexy, not funny, Feb. 3 2014
This review is from: Screwed: Movie [Import] (DVD)
Wow, what a terrible film - and I set the bar low before I watched it. Yikes! There's no nudity, which considering the premise is rather hard to believe. And there's no real comedy either...

Captain Phillips / Capitaine Phillips (Bilingual) [Blu-ray + DVD + UltraViolet]
Captain Phillips / Capitaine Phillips (Bilingual) [Blu-ray + DVD + UltraViolet]
DVD ~ Catherine Keener
Price: CDN$ 23.99
2 used & new from CDN$ 23.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good performances, good (true) story, Feb. 3 2014
Just about everyone seeing this film will know more or less what happens. From the point that the pirates are first seen on is very good. After Phillips is rescued, I thought, was really remarkable. Hanks' talent really came across largely without words.

I felt the story before the pirates appeared wasn't great - I'm sure it was made to feel that the trip was routine, but to me, it seemed a little boring and too much of a set-up. Perhaps his accent just didn't click for me.

While not a subject everyone will want to watch, I would certainly recommend it.

On Her Majesty's Secret Service [Blu-ray]
On Her Majesty's Secret Service [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ George Lazenby
Price: CDN$ 16.98
5 used & new from CDN$ 13.40

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Bond at his best, Jan. 16 2014
They say some people love this movie and some hate it. I'm in the latter camp: the film feels very dated, and the acting seems forced. Not my cup of tea, and I consider myself a Bond fan

qwirkle
qwirkle
Offered by The Digital Vault
Price: CDN$ 44.77
3 used & new from CDN$ 34.97

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good game; not great quality production, Jan. 16 2014
This review is from: qwirkle (Toy)
My sister introduced me to the game a couple of weeks ago. It really does make you use your brain. It take a while to play, but it's a real challenge.

I was disappointed in the quality of the production though: The backs of some tiles are marked with the paint of the fronts of others, like the tiles weren't dry before they were packed.

The Wolverine - Unleashed Extended Version (Bilingual) [3D Blu-Ray + DVD + Digital Copy]
DVD ~ Hugh Jackman
Price: CDN$ 29.99
8 used & new from CDN$ 22.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! A real surprise!, Jan. 16 2014
I haven't been a great fan of the X-Men movies, but Wolverine was a real surprise! Even my wife really enjoyed it.

L'Université des Monstres / Monsters University (Bilingual)
L'Université des Monstres / Monsters University (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Billy Crystal
Price: CDN$ 18.49
5 used & new from CDN$ 11.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost more fun than the original, Jan. 16 2014
I think Monsters U is probably one of the best 'prequels' that I've seen. Lots of hooks to the original that make it more than stand on its own. My sister didn't love Monsters Inc, but she enjoyed U quite a lot.

Elysium (Bilingual) [Blu-ray +  DVD + UltraViolet]
Elysium (Bilingual) [Blu-ray + DVD + UltraViolet]
DVD ~ Sharlto Copley
Price: CDN$ 15.00
10 used & new from CDN$ 9.13

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing story and performance by Jody Foster, Jan. 16 2014
I was really looking forward to watching Elysium on Blu-Ray, but I was so disappointed, I had to write a review about it. The story was completely predictable and formulaic; the ending was so 'Hollywood' it was embarrassing.

My wife watched part of it, but bailed out. She couldn't believe how terrible Jody Foster's performance was as the head of homeland security.

I thought Matt Damen's performance was quite good, considering what he had to work with.

With 940 movies in my collection, it's not a film I would recommend.

Captain America: The First Avenger (Blu-ray/DVD Combo) (Bilingual)
Captain America: The First Avenger (Blu-ray/DVD Combo) (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Chris Evans
Offered by roundmedia
Price: CDN$ 41.33
4 used & new from CDN$ 19.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun 'graphic novel' movie, Nov. 20 2011
I enjoyed watching this, even though I'm not American and have never read any comics. It definitely had the feel of a graphic novel. As a movie, I found it a little choppy as there are a few different phases that didn't flow well to me. Still, it's a fun ride to just go with!