summer boutiques-francophones Learn more snsflyout Furniture All-New Kindle sports Tools Registry
Profile for NeuroSplicer > Reviews

Content by NeuroSplicer
Top Reviewer Ranking: 114

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

NeuroSplicer (Freeside, in geosynchronous orbit)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Ocean Digital Internet Radio WR220 Wifi Wlan Receiver Tuner Wireless Connection Music Media Player Desktop Music Alarm Clock LCD Display- Black
2 used & new from CDN$ 149.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Beautiful Piece of 21st Century Radio, Dec 6 2015
I have a Mini-Stereo in my kitchen and it is great in reproducing mp3s on a USB or a CD - but, because I have it tucked in a corner surrounded by ferro-concrete pillars, the radio reception is atrocious. Unfortunately, it does not have WiFi connectivity. Enter the Ocean Digital Internet WiFi Radio.

This little marvel I received for reviewing purposes was the answer to my predicament: it may not be the easiest piece of electronics to setup (imagine an ATM machine with time-delayed feedback) but once you have connected it to your WiFi and stored your preferences, it more than compensates for the initial inconvenience.

It sports an ample backlit dot-matrix screen that make it look beautiful. With the exception of the rotating Volume control (that also doubles as the Selector), all the other buttons are single function, a rarity these days. Yet this is pretty much a moot point since the remote control is easy to use and, as with most modern media electronics, will be used far more than the controls on the Radio body.
This Radio is clearly not a portable one: it requires connection to a power outlet and it will not run on batteries.

The 99 memory positions for preset stations are an overkill (even during the golden era of radio, I doubt that people would need more than a good dozen of them) but there is no complaining here.

More important than anything else, however, the Ocean Radio will maintain a stable connectivity and its front speaker is more than adequate. One could connect the Radio to a stereo speakers for greater power but I never found it lacking to do so.

AGPTek® 50 Hours Music Playback Bluetooth MP3 Lossless Sound Entry Hi-Fi 8GB Music Player (Supports up to 64GB, SD/TF Card is not included in the package)(Blue)
Offered by Linking Store
Price: CDN$ 45.99
2 used & new from CDN$ 45.99

5.0 out of 5 stars An Affordable Player That Will Not Let You Down, Dec 3 2015
I just love this small in size only Media Player. Because it has it all and it does everything - under budget.

From playing your favorite music (most formats are supported) and following your beloved (DRM-free) AudioBooks, to watching videos and browsing photos, the AGPtEK players does it all. And it does it in style, with its sleek design and (mostly) easy to use controls.

The ample storage space of 8GB can be further expanded with a MicroSD card (up to 64GB), the screen is more that adequate whereas the battery life will usually get your through a week of daily commutes or work-out sessions, for a total of 35-40 hours (with Bluetooth earphones).

My only gripe are the earphones which are nothing to write home about. Nevertheless, by now I have a number of excellent earphones (most of them also of a matching color - common guys, white?) that more than fill this. And this marvelous device does support both Bluetooth speakers and earphones.

Leaper Causal Style Lightweight Canvas Cute Backpacks School Backpack (Large, Water Blue)
Offered by FifthSeason
Price: CDN$ 38.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Beautiful Backpack of Great Value, Oct. 6 2015
This is a backpack of excellent quality I received for reviewing purposes. Because of the colors, I did not use it myself but gifted it to my sister-in-law who could not be happier with it as she uses it as a carryall for their three toddlers' stuff.

The backpack has ample of room, with numerous external pockets and internal compartments, including one for a laptop (up to 15-16" in size). It has sturdy zippers (easy to operate even with gloves on) and it also has very comfortable (padded) back-straps which, in my case, also sported the front decorative pattern. The material is water-resisting canvas, which, unless drenched, will keep everything dry. The covered zipper-drivers also see to this.

The one I received was light blue which will not withstand dirt (or little fingers with chocolate on them) for long. Nevertheless, there are plenty of colors to choose from.

Like most canvas backpacks, it may not be the best idea to use this to carry a heavy book-load everyday but, other than that, it is perfect for everyone: from iStudents and light-travelers to overworked mother and preschoolers.

Recommended.

3D Surround Mini soundbar Speaker Portable Wireless Bluetooth Speaker Excelent Hifi Powerful Crystal Sound with Balance Audio Deep Bass Cinema Surround Sound AUX Connection for Home Theater & Homie Audio, Outdoor Sport, Works for bluetooth device

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Capable Mini-Soundbar Speaker, Oct. 4 2015
This is a great BlueTooth Mini-Soundbar speaker I received for reviewing purposes.
I liked the practical shape, good for both horizontal and vertical placement. I liked the deep and rich quality of the sound, crisp and clear and with strong bass. I liked the beautiful design and the quality of the materials used, making this look, feel and sound like a much more expensive premium item.

I walk into my house and I am able to pair this to either of my smartphones (an Android and a WindowsPhone) and it does this quickly and flawlessly every time.

The only thing I did not like was the lack of volume control button onto the Soundbar, one has to control the volume using the device paired to it. There is one button on the back that it is used for power ON/OFF, pairing, and changing between the 3 audio modes (Balanced, Movie & Subwoofer). The indicator LED light changes color according to the mode (red, blue & green, respectively).

Nevertheless, the premium quality of this speaker makes it very good choice and a more than fair deal.

Mad Men The Complete Collection [Blu-ray]
Mad Men The Complete Collection [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Various
Price: CDN$ 155.99
2 used & new from CDN$ 155.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A CAROUSEL OF NOSTALGIA, Oct. 1 2015
When things get bad, we tend to look to the past. And the bleaker the future looks, the further back we search for comfort. As the new millennium keeps disappointing us, TV shows set on the 50's and the 60's (once a rarity) keep growing in numbers. Many have tried and failed. MAD MEN tried and closed the deal. And have been doing so until the very end of of 7 seasons.

Meet Don Draper (Jon Ham), a Madison Avenue water-walker (and based on real life ad-man, George Lois). He is an enigma wrapped in a mystery. He is brilliant and secretive. He wants to keep walking the tight rope with no safety net. And definitely no contract. He is a chain-smoking, hard liqueur guzzling, womanizing alpha male. He was a loving father of three, married to a picture-perfect ex model. He had it all. And yet he can never peace. Because he learned early on that the world is always yawning at your heels, eager to yank everything you love away. And more often than not, it succeeds.

From bursting with joie-de-vivre Roger Sterling (hilarious John Slattery) and ever scheming Pete Cambell (baby-faced Vincent Kartheiser) to the gorgeous women (such as barbie January Jones and refined Jessica Paré as his first and second wife, respectively), the cast is one perfect pick after another. And the writing is brilliant, reproducing the tastes and smells and nuisances of the era around Camelot, while drawing you in to the personal stories of characters polished yet inevitably flawed.

The 50's and the 60's were before my time so it is not nostalgia that makes me love the show. Yes, I find the era mesmerizing and (probably undeservingly) less complicated. If nothing else, though, back then they knew how to dress. Women looked feminine and men looked manly. You see January Jones on the red carpet, for example, all dressed up and groomed for a Hollywood function - and that modern image cannot hold a candle to herself dressed for everyday(!) life in the early 60's. When did we loose it? When did we decide men should stop wearing suits and hats and women should start wearing sweat-suits outside the house? I, for one, blame the hippies!

This is one of the best TV shows ever and this box-set includes all seasons. As I have said again before, good TV is best watched on DVD. Make weekends out of it. It is much more enjoyable to watch an entire season in a couple of days than having to wait week(s) between episodes. And (quite ironically, in this case), you will not have to suffer the...commercials.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro | USB Flash Drive
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro | USB Flash Drive
Price: CDN$ 248.00
17 used & new from CDN$ 239.46

3.0 out of 5 stars THERE IS ALWAYS A REASON WHY SOMETHING IS "FREE"..., Sept. 26 2015
It was only last year that I was forced to abandon my trusted WinXP and upgrade to Win7. And I say forced because Microsoft made sure that key features of my OS was not working anymore, including its security. So, Win7 was a brief yet not a bad altogether experience - if one disregards numerous lack of customization options and the palpable effort of Microsoft to make us abandon them yet again, that is. Such as stopping our desktop widgets from working in order to promote the "brilliant" Win8 tiles! Nevertheless, what I want to make clear is that I am comparing Win10 to an extensive background on WinXP and an adequate experience with Win7.

ALL YOUR BASES ARE BELONG TO US
Two words: forced updates. I was lucky enough to have opted for the Professional edition of the Win7, so when I got to switch to Win10, I received the Professional edition as well - which comes with the option to defer (yet still not pick between or even cancel) the installation of the latest updates. Currently, I am trying to ignore the Action Center notification for an nVidia update, that keeps pestering me to install it since las week. The Home edition, however, does not give the user any such option and all updates are forced onto him. Remember how after numerous "essential" updates in the past, our PCs encountered a myriad or mysterious problems that were never solved before the next update, months later? Yeah, there is no more avoiding these problems anymore.

A PRIVACY NIGHTMARE
From the initial Logging in only with a Microsoft-confirmed eMail account to the Groove Music and the Movies & TV Players amassing info on your files and personal habits, including the content of our eMails which MS "reserves the right" to pass on (read: sell) to unnamed third parties(!). There is no avoiding it: Win10 are a private person's worst nightmare. In a sense, Win10 are the basis of the most intrusive and abusive DRM ever to be slipped in in our computers, coupled with the most blatant disregard for a person's privacy at home. There had been an uproar even since the pre-release builds and some deactivation options are now available - but they are far from thorough and very prone to turning back on by themselves after a while. And it now begs the question: how much can one trust a company that silently downloaded Win10 to every WinVISTA, Win7 and Win8 PC without the consent of their owners?

NO, IT IS NOT FASTER BY ANY MEANS!
Microsoft did not allow us to perform a clean install when upgrading from a previous Microsoft OS; however, using one's product Serial Number, it was possible to download the official image and burn it onto a disk (or transfer it to an empty USB). In preparation for the upgrade, I increased my system's RAM to 12GM and a few days after the initial update, I formated and did a clean install. Then I went on installing only software that was Win10 compatible. Keep this information in mind when I tell you that Win10 are SLOW. Slower than Win7 and much, much slower than WinXP! It takes forever to transfer files to and from a USB flash drive (a problem that started with Win7, supposedly to prevent data loss when removing drives insecurely, yet still with no option to toggle it on and off). What is more aggravating, it takes forever to explore folders, especially those on my second HDD, even if they were opened just a few moments ago.
So, why is it not faster? Is it because of an increase in cosmetic additions and aesthetic customizations? No. Absolutely no. Kindly read on.

ESSENTIAL CUSTOMIZATION OPTIONS ARE MISSING
The Windows interface and Menu options look worse than Win7. Aero Glass, for some unfathomable reason, is not available. The Windows borders are not customizable (for the first time since Win95!). Quick Launch can be made to appear with some Registry editing (I would advise Googling it - carefully!) yet the icons in this DIY Quick Launch now cannot be centered in the Toolbar and they stay misaligned to the Task View button; the option of which icons and how to appear in the Taskbar is missing; whereas, this latest shinny OS refuses to learn that I do not like every shortcut to have a "Shortcut to" prefix to every shortcut I create - something Win98 had no problem learning after the third time I removed it on a new one.
There is a semi-official piece of software (no, I am not calling them Apps!) called Windows Ultimate Tweaker 4: I would recommend it as it does offer a number of options, some of which are very useful. However, one of the most important ones (specifically: which new file-templates and options to appear when right-clicking on the desktop) -you guessed it!- is missing.

WHY MESS WITH SOMETHING THAT WORKED FINE?
Win8 were a complete failure mainly because of their Start menu. We all loved the WinXP Start Menu, easy to use, a breeze to customize and backup when needed. Win7 improved on it, even if, quite counter-intuitively, one had to use libraries in order to add personal folders in the Start Menu. Yet, everything was at the right place. Well, not so much with Win10.
The Power button now looks like any other and is to be found between(!) All-Apps and Settings - and when pressed (remember that this will also be needed to be done at 2:00AM after 12 hours of working on a screen) one has to read and carefully select between the Shut Down or Restart options that appear. Every single time. With no confirmation dialog.
The installed software (All-Apps) are alphabetized easy to navigate - yet its folders do not respond to Right-clicking them. They are just dead.
The Tiles Panel, however, this is where they screwed up again: none of the tiles are customizable in other aspects than total size (resulting in beautiful icons looking ridiculous in all that empty background). Why can we not readjust the sizes of the contained icons? And yet they even failed to adjust the tile sizes correctly!
The Tiles Panel allows resizing but only in huge pre-set steps. We can also move and group the tiles. Some (but not all) tiles come in 4 sizes, others in 3 yet most in only 2 sizes. The step-wise increments of the Tile Panel create space for 6 small tiles in each group. (if you are asking why, I shall tell you why: because 5' screen Windows Phones can show 6-tiles, that's why!). Have less than 6 tiles in a group and the empty space is an ugly waste. Moreover, no tile under them can grow to fill the space under 6 small tiles, so, once again, more ugly wasted space.
Oh, and for some another mysterious reason, not all installed software can be pinned to the Tile Panel, even if they do appear in the All-Apps list! You have to hunt for them in your Program Files and find the executable.

COMPATIBILITY MODE IS STILL A JOKE
Drakensang: The Dark Eye is not an old game, barely 5-6 years old and it is supposed to be Win10 compatible. At least its expansion is, and that run fine. The original game, however, refused to run under any "compatibility mode". Does this thing finally do anything besides reducing the resolution, Microsoft? You know, like trying running a few years old software under DirectX 9.0c or something?

ALL KNOWN BUGS ARE STILL THERE
The Recycle Bin still refuses to use its customized icons, just like with Win7. The Explorer folders are still unable to retain my Viewing preferences. And the Desktop still ...looses files (especially saved web-pages) one then has to hunt down with the Explorer (even if they are still in the Desktop folder).

Overall, not a failure of WinVISTA or Win8 proportions but nowhere near as good as WinXP - or even Win7 for that matter.

I am willing to accept this as a work in progress and give them 6 months to get their act together and patch things up.
Yet they should not think that they will get a free ride just because they claim to be giving it away for "free". Because it was not.

Price: Click here to see our price

The Witcher: Wild Hunt
Price: CDN$ 49.99
3 used & new from CDN$ 49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars THE GAME OF THE DECADE IS HERE!, May 19 2015
This review is from: The Witcher: Wild Hunt (DVD-ROM)
The original Witcher was a great game, whereas the sequel was even better, bigger and more beautiful in every aspect. Following on this trend of building upon and improving their achievements, CD PROJEKT RED, the small Polish developer that has been humbling gaming behemoths for years, released their best game yet. And what a game this is!

THE BEST VIRTUAL WORLD I HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED
Yes, the world of THE WITCHER III is huge, far larger than SKYRIM. Far more importantly though, it feels more real and it is full of life.
The game throws you in a world of unparalleled beauty with details that keep unfolding the closer you observe it. Every spade of grass and every pebble looks real and obeys the laws of physics as set by the new REDengine. From the night and day and weather cycles to gear that gets damaged and needs to be repaired by blacksmiths and from growing facial hair to NPCs with real lives, the world of The Witcher absorbs you in and never, ever lets you go. The flames of Igni feel absolutely real as do bodies of water. Beasts and humans will do the unexpected whereas the skies sheltering your travels are absolutely mesmerizing. One can easily spend hours in the game simply observing the gorgeous world around him.
There are some concessions to absolute realism one can take advantage off (quick traveling and in-battle repairs for example); however, purists can ignore them and sink in the extra hours to go old school.
Now, all these come at a price. A couple of weeks ago, I made sure to upgrade to a nVidia 960 (pouring with a brand new 352.86 driver) and 12GB of RAM just for this game (at some point, CD PROJEKT has to ask ASUS for dividends!) and the game runs smoothly at Ultra.
(Also, no save-files crashes this time around. So far).

AN EPIC SCORE FOR AN EPIC STORY
Once more, the music is an essential part of both the atmosphere and the gaming experience. The composers are different than those of the previous games and this translates into a novel approach to the world of Geralt of Rivia. You will recognize a number of variations on themes from the previous games and it feels like meeting old friends, matured yet still dear to you; however, I found the music more subtle and effective and not less powerful.

CHOOSE YOUR WEAPONS OF DESTRUCTION
Remember the days form the very first Witcher when you basically finished the game with the same sword and kept saving every last oren to buy the 5,000O leather jacket? Well, Geralt not only yields an extra crossbow but he also enjoys an ever growing choice of armor and weapons. Combine this with a huge library of books and an endless supply of potion and bombs ingredients and you will soon find your hero to be overburdened. And then you realize that there is no storage chest! Not to worry, the game now employes Roach's saddlebag (buy it as soon as possible and enlarged it). This way your storage is always close by. And, take my advice, do NOT sell anything! From ingredients to older swords, you will need them for crafting. And even find loot is abundant, it always feel great to gather all the ingredients to finally forge a sword or a piece of armor whose schematics you had been carrying for some time.

IT'S ALL ABOUT CONTROLLING THE WORLD AROUND YOU
Some people have been complaining about the PC controls and, up to a point, I can understand why. As with all games, I remap almost everything so that I am able to use only the right end of the keyboard (arrows for movement are default here but I use the Num-keys 1-5 to select my Sign, Num-0 to use it, / for the steel sword, * for the silver one, and so on). The game is enjoyable when set at the highest difficulty one can survive at so having quickly accessible controls are essential. That is why I hope to see a key-rebinding option Menu soon and not have to to dive in the input.settings file.

WITH MY HIGHEST RECOMMENDATIONS!

The Office: The Complete Series
The Office: The Complete Series
DVD ~ Steve Carell
Offered by BroadPeak Inc.
Price: CDN$ 139.99
7 used & new from CDN$ 134.99

5.0 out of 5 stars BEARS. BEETS. BATTLESTAR GALACTICA., Feb. 16 2015
I have been a huge fan of THE OFFICE ever since its first season. And, up to and including the very last episode, I am glad I did. The Series was original in its premise and execution, the pseudo-documentary format opening up numerous previously little explored avenues of storytelling. And it was great fun to watch.

The setting (the office of a small branch of paper-selling company) and the stories (everyday life of the people found working in such a low-prospects jobs) seem mundane at first. And there lies the magic of the creators. For (if the endless strings of CSIs are any indication) it not hard to create good TV with car chases, gadgets and explosions. It is extremely hard to make excellent TV with only the everyday grind to work with. It seems effortless only because they made it look easy.

The brief one-way interviews each character had with the camera functioned as either prefatory summaries of stories about to unfold (building up the anticipation) or as instances of pushing back, yet never breaking, the forth wall, and, thus, making the viewing experience more personal and involving. All without the show ever loosing its step.

Producing, directing and writing will only get you so far without the right cast. And THE OFFICE enjoyed such stellar cast. Steve Carell may have risked getting typecast by creating the unforgettable character of Michael Scott but it was worth it. Jim (John Krasinski) and Pam (Jenna Fischer) served first as the precarious love interest and then as the familiar friends you care about and the rest of the cast was one successful pick after another. From hypochondriac and hypercritical (not to mention hypocritical) Angela Martin (Angela Kinsey) to perky Kelly Erin Hannon (Ellie Kemper), I could not imagine anyone else portraying these memorable characters. However, the show stealer has always been obsessive nerd Dwight Schrute, portrayed to perfection by Rainn Wilson.

Purists and snobs will try to argue that the precursor British Series was better. Strangely for someone who usually finds Hollywood remakes watered down and bland, in this case I strongly disagree. The US version was much better. It had the perfect mix of familiar workday desperation and sweet quirkiness to make it a weekly craved addiction. In contrast, I found the BBC version too mean for my taste. Maybe one should have grown up in a cruel class system carved out by accent hues and prep-school rankings to appreciate it; however, during the handful of episodes I managed to watch I found myself laughing at the characters, not with them, and then felt bad about it. Anyway, in all honesty, how could Gareth ever compare to Dwight!

The series is unique in another aspect as well: it respected its viewers. Every producer, director and writer wants to make his or hers memorable splash so we often end up with unnecessary cliffhangers, ambiguous endings or unsatisfying closures. Not so with THE OFFICE. No spoilers but I will just state that the show does not disappoint to the very end.

Now, how many reams of Dunder Mifflin Premium acid-free paper should I you down for?

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20