Profile for GBoomer > Reviews

Content by GBoomer

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

GBoomer

How to Be a More Successful Language Learner
How to Be a More Successful Language Learner
by Joan Rubin
Price: CDN$ 103.85
28 used & new from CDN$ 15.05

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I Had This Book Long Ago, March 10 2003
I wish I had this book 20 some years ago when I began learning Chinese. Although I have many years of language study behind me (including a degree in Chinese language and literature), I still found helpful, new ideas in this book when I bought it two years ago.
Many language teachers do not teach well HOW to be a student of the foreign language that they teach. That is because many of them are native speakers and never themselves had to think about how they learned language. Also, many of the teachers (particularly native Chinese teachers) are the product of a very archaic and dsyfunctional (my opinion of course) education system. Students of such teachers would benefit greatly from reading this book.
Also inspiring is the latest research and theory about language learning presented here. When I began foreign language learning, it was an accepted "fact" that adults (like me) could not learn languages as well as children. It is a suprise and relief to read in this book that research now debunks this myth.
I was suprised to see the other reviews of this book here on Amazon and to see that they were negative. I have found it to be a very helpful, well researched and well written book and an important reference in my continuing language studies.