Profile for Caradae Linore > Reviews

Content by Caradae Linore

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Caradae Linore (San Diego, CA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
1984
1984
by George Orwell
Price: CDN$ 9.98
60 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Eerie, June 21 2004
Ce commentaire est de: 1984 (Mass Market Paperback)
As I read this book, I saw a lot of similarities between the hell that Orwell created in _1984_ and the reality of the present U.S. Twenty years after the real 1984, we're not as bad off as Orwell predicted, but then again, most of the people in Orwell's story are, as they tell themselves, "happy." They accept their reality, as though being under constant surveilance is natural. But aren't *we* under constant surveilance, also? Cameras adorn every thrift store and traffic light. Many of the predictions Orwell made in _1984_ have come to pass. That, I think, is what makes this book so creepy. I give it a 4 because there's one chapter in the very middle that reads like, and essentially is, a history text. Other than that, this book is excellent- the eerie story of a future that could still come to be.

Johnny Homicidal Maniac Directors Cut
Johnny Homicidal Maniac Directors Cut
by Jhonen Vasquez
31 used & new from CDN$ 7.96

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as great as _Squee!_, but still good, June 21 2004
I read this book in one sitting. It's sick and morbid, but oh-so- funny. Granted, it's not as great as, oh, say, _The Color Purple_ or _The House of Mirth_, but who expects that sort of writing from a book like this? If you don't possess an extemely dark sense of humor, then perhaps you should think twice about purchasing a book entitled _Johnny the Homicidal Maniac_. ;-)

Squee
Squee
by Jhonen Vasquez
Price: CDN$ 14.80
15 used & new from CDN$ 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Twisted and brilliant, June 21 2004
Ce commentaire est de: Squee (Paperback)
I love _Squee!_, but what I liked best about this collection were the added comics at the end. The nosferatu comic was hilarious, and I cried I laughed so hard at the one where the guy and his date are in the restaurant and he desperately needs to go to the bathroom but doesn't want to leave her. What GREAT tension in that one! And the one where Jhonen fights, what was it called? The Obsessor?- SO funny! Loved it. Money well blown.

The Color Purple
The Color Purple
by Alice Walker
Price: CDN$ 9.50
96 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Spiritually powerful, June 21 2004
This book is incredible. At times it's funny ("lol" funny), and other times I came close to crying. Written in the form of letters, readers are given detailed glimpses of the lives of Celie and Nettie, emotionally close sisters who are tragically separated during their teens and not reunited until they are much, much older. This book is a spiritual masterpiece. Walker doesn't go into long discussions about God and spirituality. Instead, she shows her readers how God can touch our lives and bring warmth and compassion even to the most abused and seemingly broken soul. A wonderful, wonderful read.

The Lovely Bones
The Lovely Bones
by Alice Sebold
Price: CDN$ 17.52
293 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars An okay book, June 21 2004
Ce commentaire est de: The Lovely Bones (Hardcover)
I read this book because several of my friends said that I HAD to read it, that it's bound to be a classic someday, etc. To be fair, I think I *would* have liked _The Lovely Bones_ if so many people hadn't painted it to be the greatest book of 2002. In fact, it *is* an alright book. It's filled with emotion, I'll give it that. And the idea is creative. I don't regret the time that I spent reading it. But _The Lovely Bones_ is not *great*, and this was what I found most disappointing. The first chapter drew me in and solidified my hopes that this would become a book that I would read over and over. After the first chapter, though, the story starts to grow boring, and only gets more tedious as it progresses. I would love to see what my friends saw in this book, but for me it was just okay.

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
by Mark Twain
Price: CDN$ 8.54
104 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Great story, but..., June 21 2004
...the dialect is irritating. On one hand, I can't deny that the dialect adds character to the first-person narrative, and is, in that respect, functional. On the other hand, it's *irritating*! I had to re-read countless sentences because of it. I can only imagine what reading this book must be like for someone who's first language isn't English. The story itself is great, though. I can see why it's a classic. It's filled with endearing characters and adventures, and it's a very important book as it focuses on the issues of slavery and the irony of a so-called "civilization" that keeps slaves. A great read, dialect aside.

The House of Mirth: 100th Anniversary Edition
The House of Mirth: 100th Anniversary Edition
by Edith Wharton
Price: CDN$ 5.22
69 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars What catty, evil characters this book has..., June 21 2004
What I *love* about this book are the characters. The characters in this book are so spiteful and malicious that you can't help but find yourself drawn into the tragic story of Lily Bart. After a series of unfortunate events, each more disastrous than the last, Lily finds that she has fallen from the highest rung of society to the very lowest of the working class. This book is about the viciousness of so-called "friends" and the self-destruction that befalls a woman in the early 1900s who wishes to remain single and free but is pressured to marry before she's too old. As social commentary, this book is excellent, and it's fairly entertaining. A good read.

The Catcher in the Rye
The Catcher in the Rye
by J.D. Salinger
Price: CDN$ 8.99
137 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A great book, June 21 2004
I enjoyed reading this book, despite (or perhaps because of) Holden's strangeness. Salinger throws Holden's simple mentality into a dark world of cheats, prostitution, and alcohol, and the result is a witty coming-of-age tale. _The Catcher in the Rye_ is an amusing and easy book for the casual reader, but under the simple text are layers of darkness and immense, unspeakable tragedy. Death, molestation, and abuse are there, hidden under all the fun, light banter about Holden wanting to run away and become a deaf-mute who doesn't communicate with anyone. This book is as deep as it is fun. An amazing work, and a highly recommended read.

Sun Also Rises
Sun Also Rises
by Ernest Hemingway
Price: CDN$ 19.00
147 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Too simple, June 15 2004
Ce commentaire est de: Sun Also Rises (Paperback)
Though _The Sun Also Rises_ is a swell example of the talents of the Lost Generation, Hemingway's bland, direct style grows tiresome after a while. It's a fun book for symbolism analysis, and the fact that every character in _The Sun Also Rises_ is perpetually inebriated makes the story interesting at least. But the simple style is hard to overcome. Otherwise, it's a decent book.

The Great Gatsby
The Great Gatsby
by F. Scott Fitzgerald
105 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written classic, June 15 2004
Ce commentaire est de: The Great Gatsby (Paperback)
What strikes me as great about this classic soap opera is its language. Fitzgerald's brilliant descriptions capture readers' imaginations and brings this story to life. The characters are alright at best, the dialogue is so-so, and the plot leans toward dull. But what a talent for language Fitzgerald had! The poetic descriptions alone make this story a worthwhile read.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4