Profile for Shannan Mann > Reviews

Content by Shannan Mann

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Shannan Mann "SM Jackson" (Toronto, Canada)

Lolita
Lolita
by Vladimir Nabokov
Edition: Audio CD
Price: CDN$ 23.31
23 used & new from CDN$ 19.51

5.0 out of 5 stars Enigmatic, Feb. 8 2010
This review is from: Lolita (Audio CD)
Lolita. Lolita. Lolita.
Lo-Lee-Ta.

What to say about the story? (I will get to the audio soon). Well...this is one of the best books I've read. The rich wordplay, the exquisite details, and the stupendously executed personalities of the characters.
I must say I did not personally like Dolores Haze. I found her a promiscuous, naughty, and well...bitchy kind of girl. But nor did I exactly understand her. I guess not having any sort of father figure first attracted her to Quilty and then later briefly to Humbert.
And as for Humbert, I loved him preciously. I still do. It's weird and strange, I guess...but these are my exact feelings. Humbert's story is tragic (and as is Lo's) and I feel he truly begins to love not only Lolita the nymphett that seduces him but also Dolly Haze...the young woman he can't stand being without.

Now for the audio...
Jeromy Irons (who plays Humbert Humbert in the 1997 version of the film) read the book on this recording. His voice is exactly like I'd "pictured" Humbert's to be and the expression with which he conveys the thoughts and dialogues are just stupendous.
Everything in his voice does justice to Nobokov's great masterpiece.
HIGHLY recommended.

Something, Maybe
Something, Maybe
by Elizabeth Scott
Price: CDN$ 15.99
35 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Same Old "YA Fiction" Crap, Nov. 2 2009
This review is from: Something, Maybe (Hardcover)
Honestly?

Is this really you writing Miss Elizabeth Scott? Because I thought you were the woman who penned 'Perfect You' and oh my! - 'Living Dead Girl'?

Was that you...really?

Well...this is a HUGE let down.

Why, please tell me, WHY do great authors succumb to the general market? Do they not know that the "general" AKA stupid effing average "market" consists of thirteen, fourteen year old teenage girls with horrible taste in music and a burgeoning promiscuity?

Really now?

With that lovely title you could have written a fantastic story.

Even some of the plot was great.

But why...why did you make Hannah a "hot-boy fiend"?

I got that Josh was "oh so freaking sexy" in the first couple pages...didn't need to hear that through-out the damn book.

Plus, I was seriously expecting more.

I loved Perfect You.

Kate was such a refreshing characters from the likes of Bella and other YA Fiction females who didn't even deserve to be called women.

I know you are a good author.

Please...PLEASE do not write your next book like this!

I'd like some literary "amazingness" going on here. OH...pardon me...I meant, some explosive literary beauty dripping from every letter off the page.

I know you are capable.

And as for others...

I'd recommend not getting this book (unless you liked Twilight and all that).

If you like "good books" please...pick up a classic or perhaps 'Paper Towns' by John Green. (Miss Scott...I recommend you read this book too. It is about teenagers, but they aren't bubbleheads in this one.)

Paper Towns
Paper Towns
by John Green
Price: CDN$ 15.16
34 used & new from CDN$ 11.17

4.0 out of 5 stars Magnificently Real, Oct. 28 2009
This review is from: Paper Towns (Hardcover)
Alright...so here's the rap.
This book...it is freaking real. The idea of a fake, materialistic world and a nonconformist lady fed up of it...well...I love it!
Congratulations to John Green for accomplishing a novel such as 'Paper Towns.'
I will not go through a complete plot description as it is really pointless (considering you can find it anywhere if you Google it up)...but I will review it.
The characters John Green creates in this lovely piece are more believable then many of today's Young Adult books (the likes of Twilight and other overly-hyped books).
But this book goes beyond being the 'hungry-for-adventure girl'. This one has a neat twist filled with mystery. Not only that but the insertion of poetry and other descriptive art forms is par excellence.
I could have easily given this book five stars but there seemed to be something hollow as I read it. I love the story. I adore the characters. But I don't know. SOMETHING wasn't right to give it a five.
But still, that does not denounce the fact that this book is much better then many of its "genre-alikes". And Green, unlike his contemporaries, displays a great mind for inviting the reader into his invented world...which seem so damn real once you're there!