ARRAY(0xb0d19618)

Profile for POP > Reviews

Content by POP

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

POP "Noir By Night" (Hamsterdam)

The White Trilogy
The White Trilogy
19 used & new from CDN$ 27.43

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow-The "Bad Lieutenant" of Books, Feb. 28 2004
This review is from: The White Trilogy (Paperback)
This book was unreal and just served to reinforce my belief that when it comes to hard-boiled crime nobody does it better than the Brits! Bill James Harpur and Isles series, John Harvey's Charlie Resnick books, Russell James, Derek Raymond and Peter Turnbull's Glasgow P Division procedurals-the list goes on and on and is just breathtaking as one works through these writers. Anyway, The White Trilogy is dark, funny, cynical, tough,uplifting and hard to put down once you start. Let me put it this way, if you went to see the movie "Bad Lieutenant" and didn't walk out and are glad you didn't-get your hands on The White Trilogy. As much as I am into diversity in my reading material, after reading this book I am straight into Bruen's The Guards. Trust me on this-better yet take the "Bad Lieutenant" test by renting it and you'll know whether to invest in this gem.

Hosts
Hosts
by F. Paul Wilson
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 9.49
52 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars It Kept Me Interested Which is Saying A Lot, Jan. 11 2004
This review is from: Hosts (Mass Market Paperback)
I guess I am not sufficiently "literary" because I got so frustrated with the internationally acclaimed Swedish police procedural "The Laughing Policeman" that I gave up on it and, rather skeptically due to its 500 page length, picked up Hosts instead. Well, much to my suprise, its great pulp fiction with a nice hard-boiled edge to it. My first Repairman Jack won't be my last...read this if you want something easy.....and enjoyable to read.

In a Lonely Place
In a Lonely Place
by Dorothy B. Hughes
17 used & new from CDN$ 29.46

5.0 out of 5 stars Undervalued Classic II, Jan. 11 2004
This review is from: In a Lonely Place (Paperback)
I wish to associate myself with the excellent review and comments of the esteemed reviewer from New York. A very fine book, timeless in its readability and thematic approach and yet fascinating in its description of a post-WWII City of Angels. A great enough read for me to want to track down more of Ms. Hughes' works and learn more about her life. If you are into noir, at some point you need to read this book to complete your perspective.

The Laughing Policeman
The Laughing Policeman
by Maj Sjowall
27 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Maybe It's Me.........., Jan. 10 2004
This review is from: The Laughing Policeman (Paperback)
but this book just didn't float my boat. I like my books hard-boiled and/or noir and The Laughing Policeman failed on both counts; in fact to be honest I didn't even finish it (after reading over half of it I felt that I at least gave it a chance). Not much is happening here-go figure the critical acclaim!

Hot Spot
Hot Spot
by Charles Williams
17 used & new from CDN$ 4.19

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best of 50's Noir, Nov. 22 2003
This review is from: Hot Spot (Paperback)
Much underappreciated Gold Medal writer Charles Williams'1953 The Hot Spot (originally published as Hell Hath No Fury) is a tightly-wound, taut and entertaining example of 50's noir at its best. One sees why master John D. MacDonald mentioned only Williams when asked to name writers of his generation who had been undeservedly neglected. If the glum melancholy of noir suits your taste, this 50's work is well worth finding and reading. Other recommended works by Williams:The Big Bite, Aground, Dead Calm and Scorpion Reef.

Lolita Man A Harpur And Iles Novel
Lolita Man A Harpur And Iles Novel
by Bill James
Price: CDN$ 14.95
35 used & new from CDN$ 1.61

5.0 out of 5 stars Moral Ambiguity In A Serial Child Rapist/Murder Case....Huh?, March 2 2003
This is #2 in the 19 book Harpur/Iles series of hard-edged British police procedurals by Bill James. That fact that I acquired all 19 after reading just one speaks loads about my perspective on this series. Considering this review was written the morning after virtually the entire top command structure of the SFPD was indicted by a grand jury, perhaps James reccuring cynical theme of moral ambiguity amongst the "good guys", even in the throes of trying to stop a serial child murder, is all too close to art imitating life.
Anyway, a crackling good read if you don't mind the cynicism inherent in James' perspective that the thin blue line is actually grey....very grey.

I Was Dora Suarez
I Was Dora Suarez
by Derek Raymond
6 used & new from CDN$ 5.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Perverse, Intense and Ultimately Satisfying, May 3 2002
This review is from: I Was Dora Suarez (Paperback)
This is the fourth book of Derek Raymond's (deceased unfortunately) acclaimed (and rather scarce) Factory series. The narrator becomes increasingly obsessed with the horrific life of the victim whose death he is investigating. The perversity of the life and death of Dora Suarez will shock any reader, no matter how hard-boiled your tastes. But the perversion isn't gratuitous and the story not without redemption at some level. As the subtitle of the book says:"The tragedy with help is that it never arrives." So if your tastes runs to hard-boiled, and you want to stray pretty far off the beaten path and you are willing to make the effort to slog through English english,find this book and read it, you won't regret it and you won't forget it.

Name of the Game Is Death
Name of the Game Is Death
by Dan J. Marlowe
12 used & new from CDN$ 3.73

5.0 out of 5 stars At The Hard End Of Hard-Boiled, Feb. 16 2002
To give credit where credit is due this was another recommendation from Gorman's "The Big Book of Noir" and it was right on point. As Gorman says about Marlowe "his best stuff just explodes every thirty pages or so".
Here's an exciting litle excerpt-the protaginost Drake ("the man with nobody's face")is in a motel room with Lucille who-as it turns out-gets her jollies by seducing men and then watching as her boyfriend barges in on them and beats the ... out of the man that Lucille just seduced. Drake, being a tough and smart guy, figures this out and ends up suckering Lucille's boyfriend into breaking into an empty motel room-he leaves frustrated and now Drake has Lucille all to himself."Now what are you going to do?", Lucille asks Drake.To quote the book:"I'll show you," I said. It was four in the morning before we left there. Fifty percent of us had enjoyed it."
What can I say-great book that they just don't make like this anymore.

Phantom Lady
Phantom Lady
18 used & new from CDN$ 3.40

5.0 out of 5 stars My First Woolrich Book.......Won't Be My Last, Feb. 16 2002
This review is from: Phantom Lady (Hardcover)
I am making my way through noir writers, starting with one of each by Goodis, Gil Brewer, Peter Rabe and now Woolrich. This book was a pleasant suprise and I'll come back around to read more by Woolrich, one of the fathers of the genre.The previous reviewer gave a good description of the story-all I'll add is that the writing is good, the story timeless, the plot suspenseful and the book is just an all around good read.

Burglar
Burglar
by David Goodis
19 used & new from CDN$ 14.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth finding ......worth reading, Dec 27 2001
This review is from: Burglar (Paperback)
Ed Gorman in "The Big Book of Noir" said of David Goodis "he didn't write novels, he wrote suicide notes". This was enough to peak my interest and The Burglar(1953) was the first Goodis book I could get my hands on-it didn't disappoint-if you are into this sort of thing. A little perverse, a lot of morose, a good story, a lingering sadness. Goodis is reputed to be an acquired taste-not necessarily for everyone but if you like him chances are you'll like him alot-so far so good. Highly recommended.