biss Up to 40% Off CBC's Canada Reads 2016 Shortlist boutiques-francophones Learn more snsflyour Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store Exercice Tools ca_ty_gno
Profile for NT > Reviews

Content by NT

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

NT (Surrey, British Columbia Canada)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Etekcity RoverBeats T12 Portable Wireless Bluetooth Speaker, Enhanced Bass (Red)
Price: CDN$ 39.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound and portability!, Jan. 28 2016
If you are looking for an affordable bluetooth speaker that is portable and has great sound, look no further! First a little information about the music I listen to so you have the info you need to make a good decision. I listen to classic rock, metal, punk, alternative, and rock. I also play the guitar so sound quality is very important to me.

The speaker is well built and very easy to setup. Although it is a bluetooth speaker, it can also be connected to via a 3.5mm cable. So for those of you who do not have a device that is bluetooth capable, you'll be able to use this speaker as well. Pairing to the device is very easy. When you first turn it on, it is already in pairing mode. So set your phone to be discovered and scan for the device. If you have a NFC compatible device, just tap it near the wireless symbol and it will connect. You can also pair additional devices with the speaker. To enter pairing mode again just hold down the play button and the lights will begin to flash.

The play, skip forward and backward button is well placed. However, the volume button is not as intuitive. I don't feel the need to knock off a star because of this. It's simply a design to save space and preserve aesthetics. For controlling volume up or down you have to hold the button down until it starts to raise or lower the sound level. Pressing it once will result in the song being skipped forward or backwards.

Sound wise, it was impressive to me. Please keep in mind that this is a small speaker so don't expect a boombox sound out of it. When I look at speakers, the first thing that I look for is sound quality. As a musician and avid music lover, sound quality is very important to me. I like my sources to be quite clear and not over powered by bass or treble. The treble has to roll off smoothly and the mids balanced with the bass. This speaker ticks off all the boxes for me. The sound is clear, precise and detailed. The bass notes were noticeable but was balanced. Sound projection was great. It was able to fill my main floor without trouble at a low to moderate level. Even at lower levels I could still hear the music clearly. At higher volumes, it was not annoyingly loud and the treble did not get out of control. The sound was well maintained and did not break up.

The range of the bluetooth has been great. I was able to move the speaker from my main floor up onto the second floor with clear sound. No drops in volume or connection. That being said, you may have a different experience due to wall thickness and such.

I've listened to other portable speakers in this size and I must say, I would choose this over what is available today from UE, JBL, Bose. From this price point, this is the better buy for the sound quality you get. Which is really good! If you are looking to pick one up, I would not hesitate to do so.

A sample of this product was supplied to me in return for an honest and non-biased review and in no way has my opinion been influenced.

TomTom Multi-Sport GPS Watch with Heart Rate Monitor, Cadence-Sensor and Altimeter (Grey)
5 used & new from CDN$ 129.83

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding sport watch!, Jan. 7 2016
I was looking for a replacement for my garmin forerunner 405. I've used it primarily to keep track of my runs as well as monitoring my heart rate while at the gym. The system worked ok for the most part but it took a long time to acquire a GPS signal and the heart rate monitor would not connect at times. The touch bezel was way too sensitive and would navigate away from my workout menu when inadvertently touched. I did not want a watch that received notifications about messages, calls or to remind me that I didn't take how many steps a day. This watch fit the bill perfectly for me.

I took a chance on the TomTom Multi-Sport watch on a couple of recommendations from my friends. I wanted a watch to keep track of my workouts and activities that was simple to use and that would not give me the headaches my previous watch did. The package came with the watch, mount and strap to attach to the bike handlebars, cadence sensor, and heart rate monitor.

The watch is simple to setup. Connect it to your PC and download the software. It will update the watch with the latest firmware. You'll also setup an account where your workout data will go. More on that later in the review.

The watch itself is built quite well. You can remove the watch from the strap very easily if you want to switch out colors or replace a broken strap. Compared to my Garmin...this is great. The bands are easy to track down and they are comfortable. No odd spots that dig into my wrist and is not uncomfortably tight. Display is nice and large. It is easy to read both during the day and at night. Navigation is done through the square button at the bottom of the watch. This is great for me as I would not accidentally hit it while at the gym and have the menu switch on me. The square button has four directions like a joy pad (Up, down, left, right).

The watch is quick to connect to satellites so you can get on with your workout. While indoors, if you are on the treadmill, it will not lock onto a GPS but it will still track how far you have run. I have found it to be fairly accurate. A note though if you are just using it for the gym and not running, there is no mode for this. Select treadmill and it will keep track of you at the gym. I use this function for keeping tabs on my heart rate and it has worked out just fine. While in the run mode, the watch vibrates to tell you when you've hit 1/4 mile. Not sure if you can set the increments on the notifications but I found this helpful and it keeps you from looking down at your watch all the time so you can focus on your run more.

Connection to the heart rate could take a few minutes but it is accurate. It does pick up quicker than my Garmin did. It is not instant but I can live with that. I should note that the heart rate monitor is bluetooth vs ant +. Strap is comfortable and does not dig in.

I've used it for biking as well though I did not attach the cadence sensor to it. You are provided with some straps to attach the sensor. It is not something that I keep track of. The data that I am interested in is how far I've ridden, elevation changes, and maybe the heart rate (for training). For reference, I mountain bike and do so on the trails so all the extra info really would not be useful for me. Road bike however, I would see more value in the data there. I took the watch off and used the bike mount. It worked out really well. Very secure! I was in rough terrain and bouncing all over, the watch held in place without issues.

There is also a swimming function on the watch. I don't swim so can't comment on that part.

Once you're done your workouts, you can either leave it on the watch or sync it up with an app through your smartphone or upload it to your account via computer. It's neat for me as all the metrics are displayed for you and you're provided with a map with the routes you've taken. I found the information useful as it helps you improve your workouts (where to slow down, speed up, etc). I found the app on the smartphone useful. It automatically syncs up if your device is near, nice touch. You can also manually force a sync as well. The watch does have limited storage capacity. You can see how much is left as well as how much battery life is left by pressing the left button from the time display.

Battery life is great on the watch. I've been able to have about a week's worth of workouts and use before putting it on the charging cradle. So far, very happy with the battery life. Nothing to complain about there.

I would recommend this watch. If you are looking for an activity watch that isn't going to burn a big hole in your wallet, you should consider this one. It's easy to use, comfortable and performs well.

Panacea Products 15951 3-Panel Arch Screen with Double Bar for Fireplace
Panacea Products 15951 3-Panel Arch Screen with Double Bar for Fireplace
Price: CDN$ 35.90
12 used & new from CDN$ 20.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic screen, Jan. 7 2016
We were looking for a screen to keep in front of our gas fire place. This is to keep our child from burning themselves inadvertently.

Made of aluminum and is sturdy. Does not feel flimsy or cheap. It folds out nicely to cover our gas fire place. When you need to store it away, it folds up and you can stick it in a storage area neatly.

Etekcity Digital Bathroom Body Weight Scale 506 lbs (230 kg)
Etekcity Digital Bathroom Body Weight Scale 506 lbs (230 kg)
Price: CDN$ 32.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great scale, easy to read and accurate, Jan. 7 2016
Disclaimer: I received this product in exchange for an unbiased review. All of my opinions are my own and 100% the truth.

I needed a bathroom scale to do a quick weigh in at times. This is mainly to track my fitness progress.

The scale is super easy to use. Just unpack, remove the batteries from the plastic, insert the batteries and you are good to go. I have weighed myself on this scale and compared the scale to that at the gym and they read the same. So the accuracy for is there.

I was able to test this out with my child and it read the weight very quickly. For those of you with children and you do need a scale that reads quickly, this fits the bill quite well.

It is well constructed. Sturdy and does not feel like it will break or shatter. It certainly does not feel cheap at all. Leaves a small footprint and due to it's size, you can store it away just about anywhere.

Etekcity Digital Kitchen Food Scale 7 Kg (15 LB) with Electroplating Platform,Silver
Price: CDN$ 19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy and convenient kitchen scale, Jan. 7 2016

I have been looking for a simple kitchen scale to use. Not to necessarily keep track of my food but to just see how much a piece of chicken breast weighed, fruits, etc. Just a handy tool to have around as there are recipes that call for weight vs number of pieces.

Construction wise, well built and the buttons are easy to push. Display is easy to read and you can switch between the different units of measure.

It takes up very little space and can be stored anywhere in your kitchen.

No complaints about the product. It does what it is supposed to do. I'm not that picky when it comes to product functionality. It just needs to get the job done quickly and efficiently. This product does just that.

Call of Duty Black Ops 3 - PlayStation 4 - English - Standard Edition
Call of Duty Black Ops 3 - PlayStation 4 - English - Standard Edition
Price: CDN$ 66.82
25 used & new from CDN$ 49.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Previous COD were better., Nov. 12 2015
I've played all the COD games on console. I must say, as this franchise evolved, I have not been enjoying it as much.

The game play was short. Took a couple of days to get through and I have no incentive to go through it another round. The story line was the same old same old. Few lame lines here and there. I thought it was quite weak to be honest. The multiplayer part...same old COD multiplayer. I just found it not as fun. It definitely is not as exciting as the previous COD like the old black ops.

It's an ok game but definitely not a "keeper" for long term value.

Miracle-Gro Tree and Shrub Fertilizer Spikes 15-5-10, 12-Pack
Miracle-Gro Tree and Shrub Fertilizer Spikes 15-5-10, 12-Pack
Price: CDN$ 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Conveniently feeds your trees and shrubs, Nov. 12 2015
Fast and easy to use. Makes feeding your trees and shrubs easy! The instructions are clear so no confusion there. I used these spikes for the fall/winter season. Sticks into the ground easily and does not take much time at all.

Suncast PTW175 Mocha Wicker 175-Foot Capacity Hose Reel
Suncast PTW175 Mocha Wicker 175-Foot Capacity Hose Reel
9 used & new from CDN$ 83.09

4.0 out of 5 stars Hide the hose!, Nov. 12 2015
Good hose reel to keep things neat and tidy. I originally wanted to use a wall mount unit but given the tight space available and mounting options, this was the best way to go.

Construction seems fairly solid. Plastic for the most part but easy to hookup and setup. The hose fittings took a bit of careful threading as the threads are plastic on the hose reel so you can cross thread very easily. Other than that, fairly smooth. So far it has been exposed to cold weather and rain. Not direct sun yet but the area I have it kept in does not get much sun so I am not anticipating warping issues with it. Will update the review as needed. But so far so good.

Now I don't have a hose pile in the backyard as it is neatly wound up in the box.

Etekcity Stainless Steel Kitchen Knife Sharpener,Silver
Etekcity Stainless Steel Kitchen Knife Sharpener,Silver
Price: CDN$ 16.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, no nonsense sharpener!, Nov. 2 2015

I've been looking for a knife sharpener for awhile. Sometimes you just need a quick way to sharpen those neglected kitchen knives once in awhile. Though you really should be sharpening them every few uses to keep the blade up. Well constructed and is secure to hold. My knives did not slip nor did the unit itself.

This is a great tool that is simple to use and will sharpen your knives in no time at all. Very simple to use. There is a coarse and smooth sharpener. I've used both and my kitchen knives have come out sharp! They cut like when they were new. Just a few passes on the coarse and a few on the smooth and the knife was as good as new. Made quite a few cuts after sharpening them and it was smooth!

The size of the unit is just perfect. Fits neatly in my kitchen drawer for easy access. You could leave it on the counter as well. The finish on the product matches the rest of my kitchen appliances so no issues there.

Etekcity 1022 Digital Laser Infrared IR Thermometer 12:1 Non-contact Temperature Gun(-58~1022℉/-50~550°C),2-Year Warranty

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great tool to have for a variety of reasons, Nov. 2 2015

That being said, it has not influenced me in giving in a five star rating. This is a great tool to have for a variety of reasons. The most common use for me would be to read the temperature of my vehicle engine before doing an oil change. This is helpful if you're vehicle was just driven. Noone wants to be burnt by hot oil! Another use for me would be to check the temp of my soldering iron and the parts that I will be soldering.

The unit itself is very well constructed. Does not feel flimsy or cheap. Setup is easy and the tool includes a 9 volt battery. Getting the battery out of the compartment was a bit difficult as it was a tight fit. This is just a very minor issue, after all, you do not want the battery to be rattling around in there.

It is very easy to use. Just point to the object and wait for the reading. It comes up almost instantly. To me, it is as accurate as I need it. To test out the accuracy of the unit (this isn't very scientific but provides a reference point), I took a reading of my hardwood floor and couch. I compared it to the temperature of my thermostat. They are close, maybe off my .2 to .5 degrees. But it is within range...again not the best way to test accuracy. There is a back light to it so makes things easier to read in the dark. You can turn off the back light easily. I've even been able to test out the tool by measuring the temperature of my fridge and freezer. Both came back at what the reading was showing on my fridge and freezer.

If you are looking for a simple no non-sense temp reader, I would suggest this one.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4