Profile for Karen Rhyne > Reviews

Content by Karen Rhyne

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Karen Rhyne

Page: 1 | 2
Armageddon: The Cosmic Battle of the Ages
Armageddon: The Cosmic Battle of the Ages
by Jerry B. Jenkins
Price: CDN$ 19.19
155 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST OF THE SERIES, April 9 2003
This book is the best of the Left Behind series. I have never read such a powerful and suspenseful book in my life. This book, even if you haven't read any others in this series, will keep you reading until you finish.
I was astounded by the way the authors quickly catches up with what's gone on before without rehashing such long material. I was impressed by the character's descriptions.
Some new characters in this series are added. In this book, no safe house is safe and everyone suspects everyone else of being a spy. The characters are scattered in different areas. The action in this book is the best.
I started reading this book after a long evening doing taxes. I didn't stop until I finished. Get this book; you won't be disappointed.

Trunk Music
Trunk Music
by Michael Connelly
73 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Connelly's Best is Here!, May 21 2001
Ce commentaire est de: Trunk Music (Mass Market Paperback)
Trunk Music is Michael Connelly's best mystery. It kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time I was reading the book. I really didn't want to put it down, but it was 15 minutes until I had to be at work.
I even read on it all day and finished when I came home. It was a simply delightful and suspenseful book.
The characters were selected for this story with the upmost care, and I was amazed at the believablility of the characters involved in the book. I was pleased that the author provided detail of not only the characters, but also the action, so that, like other mystery books out there, you end up getting confused because of not enough detail or too much. Not so in this book; everything was just right.
I liked the fact that the theme was believable, too. Many times I have read a mystery, only to think that it wasn't believable; it would have never happened. Not so with this book!! You will read things that come out of today's headlines. I won't say any more, because if you read the rest of the reviews, it would blow some good things for you, so just trust me!

by Sue Grafton
65 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The third book in the series, May 21 2001
D is for Deadbeat is Sue Grafton's third book in the alphabet series. It is perhaps her best, though. It kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time I was reading the book. I really didn't want to put it down, but it was 15 minutes until I had to be at work.

by Sue Grafton
65 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The third book in the series, May 21 2001
Get this book; I know you won't be disappointed.

The Mother, The Son, And The Socialite: The True Story Of A Mother-Son Crime Spree
by Adrian Havill
38 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars You Won't Put Book Down!, May 21 2001
This book is simply the best. It's the story of a mother and son, con-artists who were only recently put away, presumably for "good." It's a truly bizarre tale, a story that has continued to capture the media attention even today.
The things they did were simply unbelievable and will keep you on the edge of your seat. For instance, the son would go into a store and distract the salesman so the mother could steal whatever she wanted. They stole fur coats, expensive scarves, and son, anything they wanted. They were convicted of insurance fraud schemes, murdering an 80-yr-old woman just to get her $10 million mansion, and a host of other things.
What's so weird is that these people were rich themselves; they didn't need to steal or con people for money.
This book is better than any true crime book I have read, and I am true crime buff. The author really did some serious research in writing this story. I know you will be pleased with the read. In fact, I read it all in one setting. I kept telling myself that what I was reading indeed happened. I was so fascinated by the book that I spent 5 days researching the criminals on the net.
Some things I liked about the book: non-stop action, short and detailed chapters, background just enough to keep you from getting confused, and because it left me spellbound, still saying to myself it all happened.
Get this book. It doesn't cost much, and it will be worth the read.

Son of a Grifter: The Twisted Tale of Sante and Kenny Kimes, the Most Notorious Con Artists in America: A Memoir by the Other Son
by Kent Walker
Price: CDN$ 37.95
34 used & new from CDN$ 0.65

5.0 out of 5 stars You Won't Put This One Down!, May 14 2001
This book is the best true crime book ever written. It's the kind of book you start to read a chapter or 2, but before long, you are into chapter 5, and then you decide only a fire will make you put it down.
It was written by the brother of the convicted (Kenny), the son of the convicted (Santa). The book is very entertaining in a weird, sort of way.
I enjoyed reading the information about the author's talk with his brother in prison, and I know the police are going to want to talk to the authors about some of the things related in this book.
I was enthralled by each sentence. It seemed every word was selected for detail, and if one word was omitted, it would take away from the book so much. In fact, some things really needed more description... you just wanted a first grade kind of thiong because it was so bizarre of what they did.
The author is truly a survivor, and I know you won't go wrong in purchasing this book. You'll be glad you did.

Lone Eagle
Lone Eagle
by Danielle Steel
74 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Danielle Steel, April 12 2001
Ce commentaire est de: Lone Eagle (Hardcover)
Lone Eagle is the best book Danielle Steel has written, and I have read all of them. It has all the elements Steel's fans like: romance, suspense, wealth, and surprises. It is very good reading, easy to read. The setting in this book is veryb fitting, and while reading, I couldn't help but think I was watching the entire book unfold, instead of my reading it.
It is told in flashback style, "against a vivid backdrop of war and thrilling innovation. Danielle Steel breathes life into history, weaving an intensely human story that spans three decades. With rare insight and emotional power, she brings to life a tale of love and sacrifice, of holding on and letting go, of survival in the face of unthinkable loss. It is a novel of extraordinary grace and compassion from a master storyteller."
I was amazed by this historical tale, all the facts were very real to the reader and not something an author would make up to make the story complete. For instance, Steel mentions something and you immediately think, "I can't believe that is happening, but I know it's true" for whatever reason.
The storyline is one you won't forget. And, this book will be your favorite. Memories begin when a woman receives a phone call that her lover is dead. You will go back in time with her as she recalls the last 3 decades.
Get this book. You won't put it down until you are finished reading. Steel's book couldn't get any better. --

Black Cat Run
Black Cat Run
VHS

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Action and Drama Film, Feb. 2 2001
Ce commentaire est de: Black Cat Run (VHS Tape)
If you like action as well as drama, you will love this film. I was amazed at the camera angles in the action scenes. This film was made for HBO, and so most films of this nature do not have the budget to do all the necessary action scenes to potential. However, this one did. The main character in the film is a race car driver. After a prison break, the felons along with the girlfriend of one of them, run for their lives.
I especially loved the fact that the girlfriend was not only pursued by her boyfriend, but also by one of the cops hunting the convicts. He has a great attraction for her, and if she would just be his, his life would be grand. This subplot joins all the other subplots to make a film you will enjoy, especially if you watch it at night.
I was impressed by the amount of explosions in this movie. There were not too many, just enough. This movie reminded me of James Bond films, with a touch of small town sheriffs and maybe some Bonnie and Clyde mixed in.
I know you will love this film, and the only thing I didn't like about it is when I watching I had no sense of time. I thought it had only been on for 30 minutes when it was over. Looked at the clock, and it had been almost 2 hours.
There were a few slow moments in the film, but that was to be expected, considering almost every film today has slow moments. Those did not distract, and I barely noticed them. As soon as I did, something juicy would happen in the film.
You won't go wrong with this one.

Last Precinct
Last Precinct
by Patricia Cornwell
71 used & new from CDN$ 0.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Cornwell's best is here!!, Jan. 23 2001
Ce commentaire est de: Last Precinct (Hardcover)
This book is without a doubt Patricia Cornwell's best novel. For both previous readers of her books as well new fans, readers will delight in reading this mystery.
This is Cornwell's 11th novel in which she features female investigator Kay Scarpetta. What particularly makes this book stand out from her others is the use of old characters from her previous books. I was impressed that not only did she provide character building with each one, it was not too much or not enough, it was just right. This way both new and veteran readers of her books won't get bogged down with so much previous description, they won't like the book.
There are so many twists and turns, and the suspense is so worth it. Just when you think something is going to happen, it doesn't. Something else happens and keeps going like that until before you know it, you are at the end of the book. And what a refreshing read it will be. You won't feel cheated; you will feel just right. In fact, you'll probably go to bed wishing another Cornwell book to be released the next day.
There was only one thing I didn't like about reading this book. It was the fact that I had to go to work the next day, and I only got opne hour sleep! All day I talked about the book, and to my amazement, someone who hadn't read any of Cornwell's books had bought and read the book a few days earlier. She said she understood everything, and it only made her want to read more of Patricia Cornwell.
So many authors have a hard time recycling characters from previous novels because readers will get bored with them. But Cornwell did this with taste and showed different sides to each character. It was like we needed to know everything about each one, and indeed we did. Each page centered on character and plot development, something not many authors do.
You must read this book. You won't be disappointed!

Roses are Red
Roses are Red
by James Petterson
133 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Different, but yet his BEST, Jan. 23 2001
Ce commentaire est de: Roses are Red (Hardcover)
This book wasn't anything like James Patterson usually writes. However, it is his best, and here is why. A good book always has a beginning, middle, end to it. It always builds up each character, telling his or her flaws or strengths. But Patterson doesn't do this. He just starts writing the book as if we are there; we don't need an explanation.
Patterson breaks almost all the rules for writing books in this novel. He has short chapters and long chapters, and even the villian is not revealed until the last sentence.
This all sounds bad for the book, but it's not. What one has to do in reading this book, is just start reading and don't expect anything. After the second chapter, you will be hooked, that you won't be able to put it down. It's full of twists and turns and makes you really think you are watching the action happen.
Get this book; you'll be glad you did.

Page: 1 | 2