Profile for Eric > Reviews

Content by Eric

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Eric

Lamy Safari Fountain Pen (Charcoal)
Lamy Safari Fountain Pen (Charcoal)
Offered by standbyon (18 - 26 business days delivery)
Price: CDN$ 42.63
14 used & new from CDN$ 34.69

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite 'daily carry' pen, March 23 2014
I currently have the Pilot Prera, Pilot Metropolitan and the Parker IM that I use as a "daily carry" or everyday pen. This is my new absolute favorite. I have used many fountain pens but this one write so smoothly with just the right feedback and feels so good in the hand.

I would highly recommend this pen to anyone, not just fountain pen aficionados, since I've showed it off to all my friends and they never want to put it down. It is an amazing writing experience and I will be looking at more Lamy pens in the future and possibly getting a couple more of these bad boys.

I would also suggest you get a supplementary ink, either cartridges or some fountain pen ink and a syringe filler to refill this pen. You will be writing with it a lot.

Senor Smoke
Senor Smoke
Price: CDN$ 15.31
20 used & new from CDN$ 11.42

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly Underrated Album, Jan. 15 2014
This review is from: Senor Smoke (Audio CD)
Honestly I never thought I would enjoy an electric six album but from top to bottom this album is not only redeeming of my original poor opinion of the band, but it is by far their best album and completely changed my mind. I now love these guys. Please give a few of these songs a listen, especially "Rock and roll evacuation" and "Devil Nights" - you might love the electronic-disco sound they have on here!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality sound even in a niche device, Dec 30 2011
Sennheiser always has great sound so I'm not too surprised at how great these are. At $40 I believe they're certainly worth the price for more discerning audiophiles looking for a pair of earphones for their iPhone or ipod/ipod touch ipad or whatever. Personally I'm using these in tandem with a pair of klipsch s4i earphones on my iPod when I'm on the go and I appreciate the detailed but not overwhelming bass and crisp but not too sharp sound. This is a "mids-heavy" set, so right where I like them personally. The volume control and mic are positioned about 12cm down from the left ear and does not tug or weigh on the earpiece at all since it is extremely light.

I like them, at $40 you're certainly not wasting too much to give them a try, and I believe most everyone would be very happy with them. At $80 I think it may be a bit more of a tough decision, but I would still say you would still likely enjoy them for the price.

Alan Wake - English - Xbox 360 Standard Edition
Alan Wake - English - Xbox 360 Standard Edition
5 used & new from CDN$ 19.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring, repetitive, awful nonsensical mess, Aug. 20 2011
Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
I find it maddening that people have given this game a good review.

The game's story is contrived and nonsensical, as well as extremely slow-paced and just poorly written. The characters are awful; in fact, the best part of playing Alan Wake is the wonderful amounts of laughs you'll get at how much of a mess character design is. Unfortunately this wears thin after about two hours and turns from funny to sad.

Something interesting players might notice is the heavy "inspiration" from Twin Peaks which sort of flops on itself. The homage is done in such a way that it feels more like the writers/designers couldn't come up with anything so they resorted to ripping off a bunch of Twin Peaks and Stephen King themes.

Game-play follows suit with repetitive, boring, uninspired combat. There are two enemies - slow moving zombie-like people and birds. That's it. It's surprising that in survival horror style combat you can not only make combat extremely easy (taking away the fear associated with the enemies), but also incredibly unsatisfying. The levels are entirely linear and are almost entirely composed of romps through dark woods.

This game is *not scary*, that's something I need to emphasize. It's more charming than scary. Just about as scary as a child making Halloween decorations. For a game that touts itself as a "Psychological action thriller" there is nothing in this game that remotely resembles anything fear-instilling, action-packed, or thrilling. The game is hours of boring and mind-numbing dialogue which can be boiled down to having said nothing at all. It's a bunch of frill, there is nothing to this game.

The worst thing about this game is what it tries to do and utterly fails at - episodic game play. The game feels more like you're watching a bad sitcom or reading some awful amateur dime-store thriller novel than playing a game.

The one redeeming factor is the lighting which, in a game where the entire mechanics of play revolve around light, it had better be good. The excellent light play showcases the horrid graphics and animation that was presumably done by high school students.

If this isn't enough to steer you away, I'd recommend you try to form your own opinion by borrowing it from a friend for a couple days (you'll be done with it in a couple days anyway). If you don't know someone who owns this, then don't waste your time and money with this wretched pile of garbage.

JBuds J3 Micro Atomic In-Ear Earbuds Style Headphones with Travel Case (Jet Black) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
6 used & new from CDN$ 93.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible. Earphones with the sound quality of headphones., Jan. 20 2011
These are by far the best earphones I've ever used and I'm very picky about sound. I'm used to listening to a high quality stereo system with a high powered receiver and nice tower speakers which make everything sound fantastic, so earphones don't usually cut it. Usually I wear Sennheiser headphones, but these JLabs "JBuds" earphones actually sound better than some of my headphones. Two thumbs up to JLabs for making an incredible sound in a tiny package, I honestly don't know how you do it with a staff of 6 people. I guess it's a low production outfit, and so every pair is of extremely high quality. (PS: This is my second pair of JBuds. I liked the J2's so much I thought I'd give the J3's a try)

Scaredy Squirrel
Scaredy Squirrel
by Melanie Watt
Price: CDN$ 8.50
47 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for kids and adults, July 20 2010
This review is from: Scaredy Squirrel (Paperback)
I'm 22 years old and I love this book. It's a short but sweet tale about an adorable squirrel who is scared of almost everything and a little paranoid, but how circumstances beyond his control show him how great the world really is. I have all of Melanie Watt's books, even the Scaredy Squirrel puppet and when I'm feeling a little down, or need a quick distraction I pull out the books and enjoy the artwork.

Introduction to Spectroscopy
Introduction to Spectroscopy
by Donald L. Pavia
Price: CDN$ 324.77
15 used & new from CDN$ 119.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Best SPECTROSCOPY textbook available, Dec 26 2009
Don't let the idiot who wrote the other review misguide you, this is one of the best textbooks available on spectroscopy. His argument is that the book doesn't cover mass spectroMETRY, and it doesn't cover it very well. That's because this is a textbook on spectroSCOPY. The two are different, and even an amateur analytical chemist should know this. To slap around the ignorant monkey some more, the other argument he brings up is invalid. The time-of-flight specifications are a generalization, not a hard and fast rule... By the way if you're looking for a book on mass spectrometry, try the book by the same title by Jürgen H Gross - 2004.

This text covers infrared, UV-Vis, atomic and molecular spectroscopy very well and in good detail. It is an extremely handy resource for interpreting infrared spectra, and even more handy for all types of nuclear magnetic resonance (H-NMR, C13-NMR, COSY, DEPT, HETCOR) spectroscopy. This is a valuable addition to any analytical chemistry arsenal, and I guarantee you will use it in your career as a chemist later on in life.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Xbox 360 Standard Edition
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Xbox 360 Standard Edition
Offered by GAME KINGDOM
Price: CDN$ 19.95
39 used & new from CDN$ 4.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it, Dec 5 2009
Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
You know you want it. Excellent single-player, much improved single player campaign and the co-op missions are incredible amounts of fun. Buy this game, it's great!

The Big Sleep; Farewell, My Lovely; The High Window
The Big Sleep; Farewell, My Lovely; The High Window
by Raymond Chandler
Price: CDN$ 21.32
22 used & new from CDN$ 21.32

5.0 out of 5 stars The original detective novel, Dec 5 2009
The Big Sleep is the reason I started reading "hardboiled" detective novels. The intrigue and suspense that Raymond Chandler weaves into his stories is a lost art. If you're a fan of detective novels or you want to set yourself into a world of treachery and treason where only super sleuth Philip Marlowe can get to the bottom of the mystery, then I highly recommend you give this a shot.