Profile for Laura Haggarty > Reviews

Content by Laura Haggarty

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Laura Haggarty (Northern KY USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
Storey's Guide to Raising Dairy Goats: Breeds, Care, Dairying
Storey's Guide to Raising Dairy Goats: Breeds, Care, Dairying
by Jerry Belanger
21 used & new from CDN$ 2.98

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent resource for the begining dairy goat breeder..., Sept. 22 2002
I really like this book. I have been involved with goats for the past two years, and have been lucky enough to keep my herd with a friend who has been "doing" goats for more than ten years. As I read through this book it covers all of the major topics that a novice needs to know about, and presents the information in an easy-to-read format.
The book covers the following topics: Basic Information About Goats; Milk; Getting Your Goat; Housing; Fencing; Feeding; Grooming; Health; The Buck; Breeding; Kidding; Raising Kids; Milking; Keeping Records; Chevon; Dairy Products; and Recipes for Goat Products. It has an thorough appendix, a good glossary, and an extensive index.
All in all I highly recommend this book for someone considering purchasing dairy goats, as well as those who already have goats and want a good reference book to which they can refer as needed. Don't hesitate, buy it!

Blood-Lust Chickens and Renegade Sheep: A First-Timer's Guide to Country Living
Blood-Lust Chickens and Renegade Sheep: A First-Timer's Guide to Country Living
by Anita Evangelista
18 used & new from CDN$ 2.74

4.0 out of 5 stars Not really all that funny..., Aug. 28 2002
Some of the other reviewers of this book found it hilarious, I did not. It was interesting to read, offered some good insights on things to do and things to avoid before moving to the country, but it just wasn't all that funny, really. In fact, I found some parts of it to be just too much gloom and doom!
I don't live in the country now (although I'd like to) but I do own livestock, which I board with friends who have a farm. And based on my experiences on my friends farm, this book focuses too much on the bad things that can happen, and not enough on how many wonderful things can occur when you live in the country.
Mind you, these folks go head over heels. It's not necessary to move so far out of town that you're off the grid in order to own livestock and live a country life. One doesn't have to grow or raise all of one's food, it is possible to live in the country and still go to the store in town on a regular basis (bad weather or no.) All in all this is an ok book, but not as lighthearted as the other reviewers seem to think.

Nags Headers
Nags Headers
by Susan Byrum Rountree
20 used & new from CDN$ 4.51

5.0 out of 5 stars An accurate portrait of a wonderful place and time..., July 26 2001
This review is from: Nags Headers (Paperback)
My family owns one of the cottages in the area this author writes about, and I've been going to Nags Head since I was just a few months old. Rountree accurately captures the flavor and feeling of the area as I remember it, and as my grandparents remembered it (my grandfather first went to Nags Head in the 1930s.)
The book is filled with many black and white photos from as early as 1900, and has interviews with many of the locals whose families were among the earliest settlers along the beach. There are stories told of names like the Midgett family, Rev. Drane, the Nixons, Ras Wescott, the Buchanans, the Rascoes, Carolista Baum, and of course, the cottage builder S.J. Twine.
This book would be a pleasure to own for any who remember the "good old days", when families traipsed down the sand from one cottage to another for a cocktail party every night; when mothers would come to the beach with the kids for the whole summer and fathers joined them on weekends; when Harris's grocery store was the best (and only!) place to buy your freshly ground hamburger; dancing at the Casino; driving Jeeps on Jockey's Ridge; pig picks and clambakes on the beach; the days before Nags Head was quite so filled with tourists and more populated by summer people. It's a real trip down memory lane, and I recommend it highly.

Time Well Spent
Time Well Spent
by Gawani Pony Boy
15 used & new from CDN$ 1.48

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely journal for your favorite horse lover..., June 10 2001
This review is from: Time Well Spent (Hardcover)
My husband bought me this journal for my birthday and I am quite pleased by it. It is a smaller hardbound book with the lovely photos by Gabrielle Boiselle that GaWaNi Pony Boy has used in his other books. There are lots of lined pages sprinkled with questions from Pony to jog your thoughts and provide a springboard for your writing. There is plenty of room to write comments and then come back and revisit your thinking later. It's a lavish yet practical book which can be taken to the barn and then brought home again to fill with your observations. It makes a wonderful gift for any horse lover.

New Goat Handbook, The
New Goat Handbook, The
by Ulrich Jaudas
24 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Out of date in some areas, but an ok addition to others..., June 10 2001
This review is from: New Goat Handbook, The (Paperback)
This reference book on goats is not the best I've seen, but has some very nice points to it. It is out of date in several areas, the most important being the issue of mineral supplementation (the problem with copper being the most glaring.) But that info can be found in other places, like newslists on the Internet and so on.
The book is smaller than most, with only 93 pages, but has some very nice illustrations and photos. The topics covered include: Buying Goats; Housing and Equipment; Feeding; Care and Management; Health Maintenance and Sickness; Breeding and Raising Young; Goat Products; and Goat Breeds of the World.
All in all this is an ok book, but should not be the primary resource for someone entering into raising goats.

Raising Milk Goats Successfully
Raising Milk Goats Successfully
by Gail Luttmann
Price: CDN$ 9.92
31 used & new from CDN$ 0.35

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent reference for the dairy goat owner..., June 10 2001
I am new to raising goats, and found this reference book to be extremely useful. My Alpines are in a herd with the woman who boards my horses, so I am not completely on my own, but having this book allowed me to expand my knowledge without having to email my friend every two minutes with another question!
Luttermann's book covers pretty much everything a goat keeper needs to know about dairy goats, although having been published in 1986 it might be a little out of date with regards to supplementation of various minerals such as copper. However one can find that info in other places, and its lack does not negate the value of this book.
Bottom line, if you're getting into goats, you should buy this book!

Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher
by Stephen King
119 used & new from CDN$ 0.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Another wonderful effort from this great author..., March 25 2001
This review is from: Dreamcatcher (Hardcover)
I have been a fan of King's work for many years, and found this latest effort from him did not disappoint. I finished it yesterday, and it's still lingering in my head, as good writing often does. King has the rare ability to take a reader into the plot of his work so that we feel we are a part of the story, and the real world falls away around us as we read. This novel shows how King is maturing as a writer, while still providing fans with the things they love.
It's the story of four boyhood friends, and a fifth friend who binds them together for life, and into death as well. King speaks so well to the masculine soul, it's always a bit of a guilty pleasure to see into the minds of the men he presents to us, as in many ways they are "everyman" with their typical male behavior. These four men begin their adventure with a hunting trip out in the woods of Maine, but a routine male bonding weekend it's not, once the spaceship full of an alien fungus known as the "byrus" crash lands into the woods. The plot, a bit meditative at first, ramps into full blown military response at this point, and all hell breaks loose in northern Maine. But through the twists and turns of fate and time, through the simple love of a boyhood friend, and the shining strength of the human spirit, the world is literally saved from a fate worse than death.
It's a lovely story. King likes to make us think a bit now, as he's getting older and feeling his mortality a little. In the past he was content to have us react, now we need to think about why we are reacting, and how. And I like that a lot. Anyone who fluffs King off as not being a serious writer obviously hasn't read his work lately. All in all this is an excellent effort from one of my all-time favorite authors, and I recommend it highly. Don't hesitate, buy it!

The Red Tent
The Red Tent
by Anita Diamant
208 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A story of an "everywoman" from the past..., March 9 2001
This review is from: The Red Tent (Paperback)
I am not a Biblical scholar, and did not chose to read this book because it was the "story" of Dinah, Jacob's only daughter. I was drawn to this book more for the way it took a minor character from the bible and used her as a pivot to write a thoroughly engrossing story about the lives of women during the time presented in the Book of Genesis.
In this book we follow Dinah as she grows up, entering early the company of women due to her being the only daughter of her mother and aunts (all married to the same man.) We watch as she is initiated into the mysteries of womanhood; menstruation, childbirth, relating to men. With the "red tent" as their center, this society of sisters and other women is revealed as the complex and powerful entity that it is, as the women who make it up struggle with using their power within a male dominated society.
This is not a feminist book, per se, but it does examine some feminist issues. Mostly though, I just found it an engrossing read, and was drawn into caring about the protagonist and her life and troubles. All in all this is a wonderful book for anyone, man or woman, from any religious background, although I think it will resonate more for women than it will for men.

The American Heritage First Dictionary
The American Heritage First Dictionary
by American Heritage Dictionaries
36 used & new from CDN$ 4.29

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice start for 1st and 2nd graders..., March 9 2001
This book is a nice place for first and second graders to start when they need to look up a word. It has 650 color illustrations (drawings and photographs), 1,800 entries, and pretty well covers the beginning words used by young readers. Each entry has a definition, as well as uses the word in a sentence to give context. If there is more than one definition, they are numbered in order of common usage. Variant forms of the word are listed at the end of the definition. The illustrations are bright and cute, and the type is large enough to facilitate easy reading.
My only real quibble with this book is that there is no pronunciation guide given for words. I realize youngsters might not be able to use such a guide all the time, but it would be good to have anyway. All in all a nice book for the 5-7 age range, but if you're looking for older kids, look elsewhere.

World Of Whales
World Of Whales
by Kenneth Balcomb
27 used & new from CDN$ 5.12

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful reference to the whales of the world..., March 8 2001
This review is from: World Of Whales (Hardcover)
I love this book. It's a large coffee table book, yet at the same time it's a handy reference (almost a field guide) to the whales of the world. It has over 200 pages of information and hundreds of color photographs of whales from all over the planet. The whales are broken down into types: Baleen versus Toothed, and then each type is covered by species. Included are: Baleen whales; Rorqual whales; the Gray whale; Right Whales; Sperm whales; Beaked and Bottlenose whales; Oceanic Dolphins; Beluga and Narwhal; Freshwater Dolphins; and Porpoises.
The introduction has lots of important information about whales, and a number of diagrams showing some of the differences between whales. I liked best the chart that shows the relative size of the various whales in relation to one another. This is followed by pages of information on each individual type of whale, showing a photo (if available), a diagram, and containing information about the whale.
All in all this is a great book if you're interested in these wonderful creatures, and it helps to differentiate between the various types. It's worth looking for even though it's out of print.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16