Profile for Alexander Nordquist > Reviews

Content by Alexander Nord...

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Alexander Nordquist (Cary, NC USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
4 used & new from CDN$ 17.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for any star wars fan, June 19 2004
This is a great follow -up to Jedi Outcast. This is almost the exact same game since it has some of the same weapons, music and characters only this one had much better graphics. Any fan of star wars will probably love this game. You can play this game in either first-person or third-person mode. I always like to play games that are in third-person mode but I still remember first-person mode from dark forces.
Plot: You play a student named Jaden Korr, who comes to the jedi academy to learn to be a jedi. You learn how to use a lightsaber and how to use the force. At first, you go on a few missions, some with Kyle Katarn from Jedi Outcast. But mainly you help Luke, Kyle and other students to try to stop a dark jedi, Tavion, from siphoning force power from many different locations to ressurect Marka Ragnos[a dead sith lord].
Weapons: Here is a list of the weapons: lightsaber, blaster pistol, E-11 blaster rifle, disputer rifle, wookie bowcaster, imperial heavy repeater, magnetic gun, golan arms flachette weapon, stouker concussion rifle, merr-sonn portable missle system and other throwable weapons. These weapons do come in handy but it's best to use a lightsaber. There's not much I can tell you about the weapons except that most of them you have probably seen in Jedi outcast.
I was surprised to see that this game was much easier than the Jedi Outcast but I still think this is a cool game. If you're a star wars fan, buy this game TODAY!

Elements Best Of
Elements Best Of
Offered by REFLEXCDCA
Price: CDN$ 7.73
20 used & new from CDN$ 2.98

2.0 out of 5 stars Good for "Tubular Bells" and "Sentinel", June 14 2004
This review is from: Elements Best Of (Audio CD)
I was dissapointed when I heard this album. I heard that his album Tubular Bells was a popular album and I remember hearing "Sentinel" on the radio. So, I bought the cassette just to give it a try. After hearing the album, I was dissapointed that Sentinel was different than the other songs on the album. There were a few good instrumentals but I still didn't like most of the album. Mike Oldfield uses a unique mixture of sounds in his music and he includes a few voices as well. Some of his songs I would not even classify as new age, like "Shadow On The Wall" since it sounds like rock music and doesn't have good vocals. Even if you are a Mike Oldfield fan, I would still recomment listening to the album before you buy it.

Blur
Blur
Price: CDN$ 15.70
43 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Strange Music, May 29 2004
This review is from: Blur (Audio CD)
Blur has a very unusual style of music! They were a popular group in England and then after that, there music came to the U.S. I don't think they were as popular in America as they were in England but their music still sold a lot.
I mainly became interested in them after hearing the popular "Song 2" as being the theme song from the computer game: Fifa 98. Since I liked the song so much I wanted to know more about the artist. None of the other songs really sounded like "Song 2" and most of them were pretty weird, but I still think the album is worth a listen. I can't give a very good explanation on how their music sounds, Their just another rock band!
If "Song 2" is the only song you have heard by Blur, I think it would be best that you listen to some more of their music before you by the album and you might want to consider buying the best-of.

Best of
Best of
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 29.95
13 used & new from CDN$ 8.42

5.0 out of 5 stars A weird, but great CD, May 22 2004
This review is from: Best of (Audio CD)
I mainly got interested in the art of noise after hearing "Moments in Love" on the radio. After I heard that song, I wanted to know more about the artist because I really liked that song. I also own "The Ambient Collection" which contains some of the songs from this album like "Opus 4" only this version is different. But after I heard their music, I was suprised to see that their other songs sounded very different from Moments in Love. At first, I didn't like their music that much but the more I listened to it, the more I enjoyed it!
Art of noise plays really strange music and they use voices in all of their songs, some real and some from a synthesizer. Their songs are like rock sounds except Moments in Love, which is more of a soft, ambient song. I thought that every song was worth listening to and I think that everyone should listen to a few of their songs just to see if you like their kind of music.
The only proble is that this "blue cover" version is a rare CD and is very hard to find in most stores. I was lucky to be able to purchase a very good used copy from amazon. There is also a "pink cover" version of the CD but I bought this one because it had Moments in Love and because most reviewers said it was better. I hope you all enjoy the art of noise!!!

Mr. Hollands Opus
Mr. Hollands Opus
VHS
Offered by OMydeals
Price: CDN$ 67.75
5 used & new from CDN$ 19.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great movie for the whole family, April 11 2004
This review is from: Mr. Hollands Opus (VHS Tape)
Glenn Holland[Richard Dreyfuss] is a man who has a dream of becoming a classical music composer. But it turns out that he teaches a high school music class. He first thinks that he shouldn't be teaching this class and he should be composing music. The story tells how he goes through his life helping his students, his wife and his deaf son Cole. After teaching for 30 years, he then discovers that teaching was really the correct job for him to do. He also discovers that he loved teaching for all those years even though that wasn't his first decision.
I thought that Richard Dreyfus did a great job. I thought that the movie was very well done and I thought that the story was very heartwarming. I also think that if you loved the movie, the soundtrack might also be worth getting. I own the soundtrack and some of the songs I really like.
Director Steven Herek has made a movie with a story that I will never forget.

Mcmxc Ad
Mcmxc Ad
Price: CDN$ 22.44
24 used & new from CDN$ 8.78

5.0 out of 5 stars It took a while of listening..., April 9 2004
This review is from: Mcmxc Ad (Audio CD)
My dad bought this CD a long time ago and he has just abought every enigma CD there is. I was not always a very big fan of enigma and now is probably the only time I thought their CD was any good. It just took a while of listening and now it's one of my favorite new age albums.
The very first song I heard from the album was "Back To The Rivers Of Belief". I thought this was a very good song and I was surprised that it was not included on the greatest hits because I thought it was their best song. Enigma uses electronic music in the background along with gregorian chants but sometimes you just here regular singing. The album starts off with "The Voice Of Enigma" which is like the introduction to their music. The next song "Principles of Lust" has three parts to it: Sadness, Find Love and Sadness[reprise]. Sadness is my second favorite on the album and it is my favorite in that section. "Callas Went Away" features a unusaul kind of singing and it includes some of the same parts from the returning silence of the rivers of belief. "Mea Culpa" is also an electronic piece featuring more gregorian chants. "The Voice and the Snake" also has a strange use of singing in it. "Knocking on Forbidden Doors" is also a good song. I also noticed that there isn't really a break in between their songs, one song kind of goes into the next. I don't think I've ever heard another musician do that.
The extra tracks include new editions of Sadness, Mea Culpa, Principles of Lust and The Rivers of Belief. But mostly they sound the same as the originals.
I think that if you're into new age music then MCMXC A.D. and the greatest hits would be great albums to buy. I have learned from listening to this album that some of you're favorite albums can be ones that when you first heard you didn't like so you should listen to albums for a while before you decide whether you like it or not.

Indiana Jones And The Emperor's Tomb
Indiana Jones And The Emperor's Tomb
8 used & new from CDN$ 65.30

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite computer game, Feb. 22 2004
Indiana Jones and the emperor's tomb is probably the best action game I've played so far!! It's much better than the infernal machine since it's a newer game but I would still recommend the infernal machine to all indiana jones fans.
Plot: The main objective of the game is to travel to China and try to recover the three parts of the mirror of dreams and find the heart of the dragon before it falls into the hands of the Nazis. I thought that the game had a very good story to it.
Weapons: In this game, you do not collect the same amount of guns that you did in the infernal machine but this game spotlights on hand-to-hand combot. The main gun in your inventory is Indy's trusty revolver but you also collect: a shotgun, luger, MP-40 SMG, and a mauser. But there are also improvised weapons such as a table leg or a chair that Indy can use for a certain amount of time in the game. They do come in handy!
Locations: In the very beginning of the game, Indy travels to the Ceylon but he will then travel to Prague, Istanbul, Hong Kong and China.
Graphics: The graphics in this game were much better than in the Infernal Machine. It sometimes makes you feel like your in the game. The sound in the game is also good. Indy's voice sounds like Harrison Ford's Ford's voice and also you can hear the other sounds easily.
I have finally beaten the enire game. Now I can probably beat the whole game in 2 days but it's still fun to play.
If you are an Indiana Jones fan, you played the Infernal Machine or your just looking for a good action game, than this is the game you should buy!!!!!

Caught in the Act
Caught in the Act
by Joan Lowery Nixon
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 6.64
42 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The adventure continues!, Feb. 1 2004
"Caught In The Act" continues the story of the six Kelly children that were were sent away to get adopted by new families because their mother feels that she cannot afford to keep them. I read the first book in the series called "A Family Apart" and it was about the children getting adopted by new families and the second part was about Frances Kelly's adventures with her family. This book talks about how Michael Kelly is doing with the Friedrichs. Mike's main concern is that he believes that the Friedrichs are hiding something from him. He thinks this because he overheard a conversation about somebody named Ulrich. Mike's opinion is that Mr. Friedrich killed him. The story is all about Mike's adventure.
I really enjoyed the novel because it's interesting to see what life was like back in that time. So far I have read the books: A Family Apart, Caught In The Act and In The Face Of Danger. I'm going to read the whole series! If you are thinking of buying this book buy A Family Apart first.

Shepherd Moons
Shepherd Moons
Price: CDN$ 23.71
61 used & new from CDN$ 1.10

5.0 out of 5 stars If you loved Watermark, you'll love Shepard Moons!!!, Jan. 30 2004
This review is from: Shepherd Moons (Audio CD)
I have always been a fan of Enya's music ever since I first listened to her album Watermark which was when I was two years old. Enya's music really makes me feel relaxed and she sings very soft and soothing music with mostly piano music in the background but sometimes she includes other instruments. Since I loved listening to Watermark I decided to try another album by Enya and out of all of the others that I heard, Shepard Moons was my favorite. So I decided to buy it and it was definitely worth the money.
The very first song "Shepard Moons" is and instrumental song and it is very good to start the album because it gets you into that kind of mood. I recognize "Caribbean Blue" from the best-of album and it is a little louder than most of her songs. It kind of reminds me of "Storms in Africa". Other instrumentals on this album are "No Holly For Miss Quinn" and "Lothlorien" and they are also great songs. Also, "Evacuee" is probably my favorite song on the album. It is a really sad song but it has very beautiful lyrics.
I think right now I kind of like Shepard Moons more than Watermark. That might just be because it was the album I recently bought. I recommend Watermark, Shepard Moons and Enya's new album "A Day Without Rain" to all new age lovers!!!

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Full Screen) [Import]
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Full Screen) [Import]
DVD ~ Daniel Radcliffe
Offered by BuyCDNow Canada
Price: CDN$ 19.73
40 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite Harry Potter movie, Jan. 25 2004
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone was, in my opinion better than the chamber of secrets. I saw the chamber of secrets in the theater but it didn't seem like it was very good and I hope that if they make a movie for all of the books, they will all be worth watching.
I'm pretty sure most of yyou reading my review will already know the story but I'll mention it anyway. The story is about a boy named Harry Potter[Daniel Radcliffe] who lives with his evil step-parents, the Dursleys. Untill, one day he gets a letter inviting him to attend Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry since he is a wizard even though he doesn't know it. The whole story talks about how he finds out about the Sorcerer's stone which is a stone that can make anyone immortal.
I thought that the movie was good except some parts weren't in the movie that were in the book, but there were very few. This is not one of the best movies in the world but it is still funto watch at times. I thought that all of the books were good but my only complaint was that sometimes the plot got a little confusing. The only person I recognize from the making of this movie was Chris Columbus. He was the directer of Home Alone which is also a good movie.
The special features include: never before-seen footage, self guided tour of Hogwarts, theatrical trailer and you can perform certain activities. I tried a few of these features but I think they're more for kids.
If you are a fan of Harry Potter then you should see this movie. I also think that the chamber of secrets is also worth a try.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5