Profile for Ismael B. Mendoza > Reviews

Content by Ismael B. Mendoza

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Ismael B. Mendoza "Ismael Mendoza" (Dinuba, CA)

Chappelle's Show: Season 1
Chappelle's Show: Season 1
DVD ~ Dave Chappelle
Price: CDN$ 13.97
46 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Best cross over comic since Murphy! Now on DVD!, March 14 2004
This review is from: Chappelle's Show: Season 1 (DVD)
When I heard about Dave getting his own show last year I was so happy. I was impressed with his ability to stay "ghetto" and have that "white" humor that many may not get.
His strong point is that he can cross between the two and pull in both audiences. It's not 100% all the time. Especially when he's injecting his politics.
Other than that he is able to poke fun at everyone. Just like Chris Rock, no race or gender is safe. His sketch comedy routines voice the things that one race may not like to say about another. Most importantly, it voices the things races feel about themselves. His show just allows you to laugh at them in a playful manner.
Best features are the "Great Moments In Hook Up History" complete with stats and that great NFL Films-esque voice over.
There is also the infamous "Piss On You" video and the following remix.
The second seems to be another classic, but, that's for the next DVD set.
Twelve episodes seems to few to enjoy. But, it's worth the price.

Rainbow Rising [Remastered]
Rainbow Rising [Remastered]
Price: CDN$ 10.74
45 used & new from CDN$ 3.02

5.0 out of 5 stars Band that never gets it's due, Feb. 10 2004
I am a Led Zeppelin lover. That aside, I , like most people, have other bands that I keep close to my heart. One of them is Rainbow. When I first heard of the the band it was in a guitar mag about Euro-Metal. I had heard a bit about Deep Purple, but, I didn't know that Blackmore had another 70's metal band. The name didn't exactly fit with my vision of hard rock metal. My mood quickly changed when I found out they had Dio fronting the early years.
This line up and album should stand as one of the all-time greats. Only two people were carried over from the debut album. Blackmore struck gold with Bain and Cozy Powell( who I think is the greatest drummer ever) giving him a brick wall of crushing drums and bass.
This album carries very Deep Purple sounding songs. But, with one exception. These are ten times as better. "Stargazer" is one of my all time favorites. Sure it's a Zeppelin rip-off, however, the harmonies, double kick drum, and Dio's tenor-esque voice stirs up passion in you when you hear it.
The other is "Tarot Woman". This track is the lesser known and should have been on the the Very Best Of Rainbow. The old 70's keyboards never sounded cooler. That and the song reminds me of an old friend.
From an enginering stand point this is one of the clearest sounding old school cd's out there. Too bad other classics like Blizzard of Ozz and Machine Head couldn't match it.
This is a must for drummers. If you don't know who Cozy Powell is . . . you need to wise up. And bow down to his glory. Dare I say it, but, he out does John Bonham's sound from Zeppelin IV's "When The Levee Breaks". There I said it.
Final word: Get this f*cking album! You'll be happier.
Also get one of the best live albums too. Rainbow On Stage.

The New Thought Police: Inside the Left's Assault on Free Speech and Free Minds
The New Thought Police: Inside the Left's Assault on Free Speech and Free Minds
by Tammy Bruce
Price: CDN$ 35.95
34 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Tammy Bruce, Fo Shizzle Dizzle!, Nov. 24 2003
I was watching C-SPAN sometime in the summer of 2002, when I found Tammy Bruce at UC Davis. She was giving a speach to students intrested in her book. Others, obviously Left wing, wanted to insert their own wisdom. Tammy won me over, not with her politics, but, with her fairness and even handed aproach to the subjects. She was promoting this book, to the dismay of some professers and students, and held her own. She challeged the know it all students and asked them for the facts. That's the way you do things.
Needless to say, I wanted her book. After much delay, I finally found one in Davis, CA and started reading it when I could. To be honest, the book started slow, and with to many Catch phrase's like "group think" and "misery merchants". But, once she started to present the cases and how the "Far-left" applies two different standards, it started to catch with me. Case in point, GLADD. Her point, and mine, are that if you guys want tolerance and to be heard using free speach, you should apply that to others you may not think diserve the same treatment. Like Dr. Laural. And, I hate her.
I think the basic point that should get across is not that the Left is crazy and needs to be crushed. Her point concerns the side she's been on for most of her life. How, as well intended as it once was, has now become a corprate political machine where words like "racist" are used to silence disenters by some who use that same power to gain power and/or profit. Such as, the Not Really Honorable Rev.'s Jackson and Sharpton.
The kicker is she backs up her points with paper trails and reported news facts, that most people should have picked up on.
I loved her probe into the non-profits. The, Biggest ones were NOW and GLADD. Two, noble organizations, that have been twisted and used as extensions of the Left and Democratic Party.
The most important slam was when Bruce pointed out the difference in outrage between Bob Packwood and President Clinton. I won't give away the story, but, it drove the point home. A point coming from that side of the aisle. Note, that this can be applied to the right, aswell.
The case she makes is one of dismay. A group that preaches one thing and brow beats people with another. It's her warning for blind Lefties. And, for Righties too. Question everything. If you see something wrong with the way things are done, speak out. Don't just take it. It's good to rock the boat. It's always a~ healthy thing.
This book, says the things many lafties wish they could say. It's what I've been saying for years. And, I would like her to take a look at the right in the next book. Fair is fair. I got my own beef to pick with the "moral majority$Q
<input type=hidden name=