Profile for Bripolar > Reviews

Content by Bripolar

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Bripolar

Waging Heavy Peace
Waging Heavy Peace
by Neil Young
Price: CDN$ 19.75
69 used & new from CDN$ 1.94

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs an editor..., Oct. 26 2012
This review is from: Waging Heavy Peace (Hardcover)
Wow!I laughed when I wasn't supposed to. Neil rambles through most of this book. Although I love the man and his music, his writings are repetitious, infantile (sometimes), and play out like a recorded transcript complete with hesitant sentence fragments and uncomfortable pauses. It works when he reminisces about his childhood and his musical friends and enemies. He also seems to come clean about how his history of control has left a trail of damage in the form of broken relationships. It's good that he has "given up booze and weed" (Dr.'s orders) and his musings on the nature of his creativity while off the substances that he has relied on for many years is brave, engaging and revealing. And here I thought Cros was the one with the demons...

I have always wondered about the relationship with his wife, Pegi, and all his children. Here he sheds light on his deep love for family and throughout the book, I found this to be the most touching and meaningful. If you are interested in this powerful bond, I recommend the book. If you are looking for some deep insight into him from an objective (and more harsh perhaps) perspective, go read Jimmy McDonough's book of a few years ago.

Still love the man.

Americana
Americana
Price: CDN$ 15.08
53 used & new from CDN$ 2.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Except for three songs, a throwaway unfortunately, June 11 2012
This review is from: Americana (Audio CD)
This is not easy for me to write, as most anything Neil does I consider a gift to humanity. Really. But I have to say, I have little idea why he chose to do this album, especially when he has Crazy Horse by his side, in his house, once again. That unmistakable sound is back with the 70's primal urgency of guitars, bass and drums. And it sounds so good. But why he would choose this selection of songs is beyond me--and I'm pretty forgiving when it comes to Neil because he is a true artist and you gotta give artists lots of room, right? "Travel On" really rocks and sounds like a choice out take cut from the "Zuma" days; respectfully, he should have chosen and arranged more like this, methinks. (Also, Neil please make the font size bigger in your CD booklet--I'm not the only one of your listeners with again eyes bruh...!)