Profile for J. Gittins > Reviews

Content by J. Gittins

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

J. Gittins "Chemistry instructor" (Bay City, MI)

The Physical Basis of Chemistry
The Physical Basis of Chemistry
by Warren S. Warren
Price: CDN$ 41.88
32 used & new from CDN$ 17.20

2.0 out of 5 stars Unless you are a genius...., Nov. 1 2002
Oh dear.... "The Physical Basis of Chemistry" is a good book for a VERY select few, those of you who are geniuses or have already taken physical chemistry. I am in an Honors FRESHMAN Chemistry class right now, and our professor required this book.
Let's just say, even after 3 years of chemistry, I understood five things in the whole book. It is written somewhat poorly. For example, he keeps on introducing more and more equations without telling what the variables mean. I had to look back three chapters to figure out what "R" represented in a certain equation. It was not fun!
This book also requires advanced levels of calculus, which many (including me) in my class have not even taken yet. He discusses taking the double integral and vector multiplication (or something like that). It is not practical unless you have taken differential equations. Also, the practice problems are as difficult as heck! So unless you are a genius looking for a challenge, I would not recommend this book.
If you are a professor/teacher, make sure that your students have the level of knowledge necessary to understand this text. Otherwise, they will be completely lost.

The Scarlet Letter
The Scarlet Letter
by Nathaniel Hawthorne
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 5.22
143 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Deep human insight, July 31 2002
After reading many of Nathaniel Hawthorne's works, I am thoroughly amazed at his ability to write about deep and profound ideas such as hidden sin or "real" beauty. "The Scarlet Letter" definetely is a very good novel.
I must admit it is very touching and tragic, but it is not adventurous as many teenagers want it today (I am a teenager). You must focus on the things said instead of the things done. With that in mind, I was profoundly moved by Mr. Dimmesdale's fears and worries, Mr. Chillingworth's cunning complexity, Hester Prynne's quiet silent attitude, and Pearl's devilish actions. Each character in the story was so amazing 3-dimensional.
Yes, there are parts in the book that are more verbose than I would have liked, and that is why I rated it a 4. I just learned to ignore those parts that didn't really seem to pertain to the major ideas of the story, and instead focus on those words and feelings that Hawthorne so amazingly expressed. These ideas far outweigh the verboseness. And I actually must admit that I did not find it an extremely long book. If you focus on the reading, it doesn't take long at all (compared to many longer novels of the same class).
My advice: Wait until the right time. I tried to read it three times before, and never really got very far. Finally, this summer, I was able to enjoy it immensely. If you are not looking forward to reading it now, then just wait a little longer.

Exploring Chemical Elements and Their Compounds
Exploring Chemical Elements and Their Compounds
by David Heiserman
Price: CDN$ 22.36
37 used & new from CDN$ 0.30

5.0 out of 5 stars This book got me hooked on chemistry!, Aug. 23 2001
This book is the best book on the elements. It covers ever area that I could think of, from historical background, properties, production, and compounds. The book is so in depth and doesn't miss a thing. It is also beneficial because it gives basic information like atomic weight, boiling point, specific gravity, and oxidation state (and many other things). It just has all the information that you could need. Even for obscure elements no one has ever heard of before, it covers a lot of information. This could be used for personal reference and I would even recommend it for school. Reading it will help better understand the roll of the elements and chemistry in our lives.

A Guide to the Elements
A Guide to the Elements
by Albert Stwertka
18 used & new from CDN$ 2.10

5.0 out of 5 stars A great informational book, Aug. 23 2001
I love chemistry and the elements, and this book didn't let me down. It is very interesting to ready and covers most areas about each of the compounds. It also lists the major uses and even some of the health problems associated with the elements. The pictures are also very good. The pictures represent the elements themselves or the uses of the elements. This helps a lot. There are only two small things I don't like about the book. First, it doesn't give much basic information. I would recommend "Exploring Chemical Elements and their Compounds" by David L. Heiserman. The two books together create a treasure trove of information. The other problem is just a small one. The author focues a lot on the uses in radioactive procedures. I guess that doesn't interest me too much. Otherwise this is a great book! I would suggest you get this book for personal use or even for schooling purposes.

Earth Science
Earth Science
by Edward J. Tarbuck
22 used & new from CDN$ 8.93

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book covering everything, July 30 2001
This review is from: Earth Science (Hardcover)
This textbook is one of the best scientific books I have seen. Not only does it cover earth science (like geology), but astronomy and meteorology also. It covers every topic that you possibly want to know about. The authors leave no information out. I had to use this for Science Olympiad, and it helped me so much. The explanations are great, the images beautiful, and the diagrams very helpful. I would suggest this for anyone that has an interest in Earth Science or Meteorology. It is a great book.

Three Hundred and Sixty Five Starry Nights: An Introduction to Astronomy for Every Night of the Year
by Chet Raymo
Price: CDN$ 16.97
45 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for every amateur, May 29 2000
This is a very good book for every amateur astronomer to have! It is very descriptive, helpful, and is even interesting to read! 365 Starry Nights describes the night sky by every month, so it helps create a sense of how the sky works. It touches on even the very small things, and describes the important things very well. It describes many of the types of distance measurers, like parallax and Cepheid variables. There are so many other things that it describes very well that I can't even list them all. The book covers many constellations and many of the things that are found in that constellation. All of those things make this book very informative and great. There is only one problem with the book. The book was published in 1982, so some of the information is outdate, which can be a small problem. Therefore you have to remember that every once in a while when they don't mention the Hubble telescope and you're wondering why! Overall, this book is a very good book!

The Structure of the Universe
The Structure of the Universe
by Paul Halpern
13 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A very interesting book, March 25 2000
"The Structure of the Universe" is a very good book with a lot of interesting information. It presents many of the intruiging questions that cosmologists ask today, over such topics as dark matter, the structure of the universe, and the expansion of the Universe. Through many graphs and charts, they show many of the processes that happen today and also explain possible outcomes of the Universe. It is a very good book for any novice who would like to know a little bit about cosmology.