Profile for John R. Palmer > Reviews

Content by John R. Palmer

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

John R. Palmer (york, Prince Edward Island Canada)

Keeping up Appearances: The Full Bouquet
Keeping up Appearances: The Full Bouquet
DVD ~ DVD
Offered by M and N Media Canada
Price: CDN$ 184.53
6 used & new from CDN$ 126.96

4.0 out of 5 stars An English Gem, Feb. 12 2009
BBC English humour at its best. Every episode has a twist and invariably Hyacinth goes down in style. She is so desperate to keep up appearances.
The package has over 50 episodes which are not to be watched all at once otherwise some of the humour may become a bit tedious.
A lot of good laughs to be had.

Memoirs of a Geisha (Widescreen Two-Disc Special Edition) (Bilingual)
Memoirs of a Geisha (Widescreen Two-Disc Special Edition) (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Ziyi Zhang
Price: CDN$ 13.74
48 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Film not translate well from book., April 18 2006
We watched the film with great expectations. Without reading the book we thought it would be very difficult to follow. The dreadful tensions that were faced by the poor geisha-to-be were not well drawn out in the film. Also the final conclusion in the book, which explained a lot, was not actually reached in the film.
The cinematography was very good but overall we were left feeling disappointed.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2-Disc Widescreen Edition)
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2-Disc Widescreen Edition)
DVD ~ Daniel Radcliffe
Offered by Fulfillment Express CA
Price: CDN$ 16.91
76 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Harry gets Older, Nov. 27 2004
It has been quite some time since I had read this HP book and I have read all the HP books, and I had not seen the movie before watching the DVD. I thought as a stand alone movie it was excellent. However as the series of books moves along the movies are forced to abbreviate the increasingly complex plots. I would advise all HP movie buffs to also read the books. The stories, films and characters are all maturing and I hope the pattern is able to continue at such a high level. The cinematography in this DVD is out of this world. I missed Richard Harris as Dumbledore though.