Profile for James Altucher > Reviews

Content by James Altucher

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

James Altucher "James Altucher" (NYC, NY United States)

Page: 1 | 2
The Coffee Trader: A Novel
The Coffee Trader: A Novel
by David Liss
33 used & new from CDN$ 0.52

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, March 11 2003
I have never been into historical novels before but I picked this up because I was intrigued by the title and I started reading. I couldn't stop. What a fascinating time that was - the beginning of modern speculation with its two famous courtiers side by side - fear and greed. The book is a roller coaster between both those extremes as we follow Miguel through his coffee trade just when coffee and its powers have been introduced into the western world. I'm a bit gullible and tend to absorb the qualities of well-written characters until the feel of the book shakes off. I haven't stopped drinking coffee since I started reading the book. I learned, I enjoyed, I recommend.

The Good Heart: A Buddhist Perspective on the Teachings of Jesus
The Good Heart: A Buddhist Perspective on the Teachings of Jesus
by His Holiness the Dalai Lama
Price: CDN$ 11.51
47 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars highly recommended for mixed families!, Feb. 10 2001
I tend to follow the precepts of buddhism and my wife is a religious catholic. The Dalai Lama makes a great and successful effort at bridging whatever gaps he finds in the two philosophies. The anecdotes and points he made in this book allowed my wife and I to really communicate on an otherwise sensitive topic.

Backgammon For Serious Players
Backgammon For Serious Players
by Bill Robertie
11 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars easy to read, fast progress results, Feb. 10 2001
I didn't know anything about backgammon: notation, strategy, etc. I read this book and found it was easy to follow the games and his annotations. Then I started beating people who previously would easily beat me. 'Nuff said.

Awakening the Buddhist Heart: Integrating Love, Meaning, and Connection into Every Part of Your Life
by Lama Surya Das
26 used & new from CDN$ 0.19

5.0 out of 5 stars the american version of buddhism, Feb. 10 2001
Buddhism tends to layer itself on top of whatever culture it enters. Tibetan Buddhism makes use of many elements of the Tibetan Bon religion. Zen has elements from Taoism and Confucianism. So I was hunting for what the American version of buddhism would be like. Surya Das has a great ear for the subtleties of the 'American' religion and what elements Buddhism can enhance. Without being new-agey he mixes self-help style chapters with Buddhist exercises and philosophy to create an american manual on buddhism. This book for me was a great introduction to Buddhist philosophy and I was able to start practicing the exercises and getting results in my life almost immediately.

When Genius Failed: The Rise and Fall of Long-Term Capital Management
When Genius Failed: The Rise and Fall of Long-Term Capital Management
by Roger Lowenstein
14 used & new from CDN$ 2.82

4.0 out of 5 stars a page turner, Feb. 10 2001
I find I get a lot of pleasure when I read about really smart successful people completely failing. It makes me think, as a promising failure myself, that all is ok in the world. Here we have a bunch of masters in the universe locked in a room together with their supercomputers and their supersecret formulas for derivative success lose ONE TRILLION DOLLARS! How dumb is that? A must read for stock market players like myself who don't know what they are doing and yet - I HAVE NEVER LOST A TRILLION DOLLARS.

The Fuck Up
The Fuck Up
by Arthur Nersesian
Price: CDN$ 11.55
81 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I give this book 7 stars!, Feb. 10 2001
This review is from: The Fuck Up (Paperback)
All the brat pack books of the 80s and early 90s don't hold a candle to this one. The main characters slow slide into despair could've easily happened to anyone. The reader becomes the main character - a guy just searching for a little bit of money, a little bit of love, and a way to get by in life. Bit by bit everything he has to hold onto slips away until he has to fend completely for himself. A very personal book that left me thoroughly depressed and desperate for more.

Burn Rate: How I Survived the Gold Rush Years on the Internet
Burn Rate: How I Survived the Gold Rush Years on the Internet
by Michael Wolff
47 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars don't read this if you are trying to sell your company, Feb. 10 2001
I was selling my company when I first read this and the deal was taking forever. I kept getting the feeling that I was about to get screwed. Then I read this book and I KNEW I was going to get screwed. This book is a perfect example of what happens when a smart, idealistic guy with a potentially good company starts running with the wrong crowd - financial guys. The result is a despressing page turner.

High Stakes, No Prisoners : A Winner's Tale of Greed and Glory in the Internet Wars
28 used & new from CDN$ 0.47

4.0 out of 5 stars a good book for people who hate VCs, Feb. 10 2001
I've started companies and I've also been a VC and neither experience is very pleasant. The only pleasant parts are getting the initial idea, seeing it work, and then selling the company. There's a saying "hide the equity - the VCs are coming!" Ferguson (and also Jim Clark at SGI) had to deal with that. The VCs come in, take all the equity, make bad management decisions (because they are financial guys and have 10 other companies to worry about) and then either take all the spoils or spoil all the take. The fascinating thing about Ferguson's story is that the story of his business is not really about products or marketshare or management, its about VCs and Microsoft. That's the new business in today's world. The only downside of this book is why be so bitter about the company that made you into a hundred millionaire?

Venture Capitalists
Venture Capitalists
by Inside the Minds Staff
18 used & new from CDN$ 2.38

3.0 out of 5 stars amusing archaelogical artifact, Feb. 10 2001
This review is from: Venture Capitalists (Paperback)
10,000 years ago there was a civilization where people would throw money onto the street and it would turn into huge castles and fat bank accounts. Then there was an unknown worldwide catastrophe and that world completely disappeared. Later on a book was discovered where the people throwing all the money around told their stories, oblivious to the coming world catastrophe. Its fascinating to see inside the minds of these primitive humans.

Zero Gravity: Riding Venture Capital from High- Tech Start-Up to Breakout IPO
Zero Gravity: Riding Venture Capital from High- Tech Start-Up to Breakout IPO
by Steve Harmon
37 used & new from CDN$ 0.27

2.0 out of 5 stars yet another bubble is bursting book, Feb. 10 2001
Given Harmon's background as an internet economy pundit, I expected a lot more from this book. I've ridden this roller coaster all the way to the top and all the way to the bottom so i was fully expecting to really relate to what was going on in the book. I fell asleep about halfway through and never picked it up again. The Internet Bubble was THE book on this topic in my opinion.

Page: 1 | 2