Profile for Classics Lover > Reviews

Content by Classics Lover

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Classics Lover

American Triumvirate: Sam Snead, Byron Nelson, Ben Hogan, and the Modern Age of Golf
by James Dodson
Price: CDN$ 27.20
17 used & new from CDN$ 4.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, July 13 2012
Bought two of these books from Amazon on the strength of a good review, and gave them as birthday presents. Both recipients thoroughly enjoyed the book. A great story, well written.

Double Dexter: A Novel
Double Dexter: A Novel
by Jeff Lindsay
Price: CDN$ 18.18
32 used & new from CDN$ 1.51

1.0 out of 5 stars Still Sophomoric, Dec 24 2011
This review is from: Double Dexter: A Novel (Hardcover)
Double Dexter: A Novel I cannot remember when I last got within 50 pages of the end of a book, especially a "mystery" like this one, and said to myself, "I really don't care what happens at the end, I can't stomach another page." And I closed the book. I had tried to read Lindsay's first in this series, Darkly Dreaming Dexter, and found it so bad I quit after 100 pages, but I expected more from the latest in a supposedly successful series. But this book fails on all fronts. The principal character is still only an inch deep, and the others are little more than cardboard cliches. We are still subjected to Dexter's nauseating, and groundless, self-laudatory musings. His actions exceed all of the reader's efforts at suspension of disbelief, making you feel he is little more than an idiot. The dialogue continues to be a disappointing combination of inanity and foul language. Lindsay clearly feels there are a lot of third graders out there, and he wants to write for them.

So I got to the point where the Bad Guy has kidnapped Dexter's two children, and the world is supposedly holding its collective breath to see if he can rescue them, and I said, "To hell with it!"

Darkly Dreaming Dexter: Dexter Morgan (1)
Darkly Dreaming Dexter: Dexter Morgan (1)
by Jeff Lindsay
Price: CDN$ 13.68
205 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Sophomoric, Dec 24 2011
Darkly Dreaming DexterI read a review of the latest book in the series, Double Dexter, and decided I should perhaps begin with the first book of the series, Darkly Dreaming Dexter. The titles themselves give some warning of the quality of the writing - can you spell "purple"? I couldn't decide which I loathed more: the idiotic hero or the sophomoric writing. Dexter as a character is about one inch deep. The author actually seems to go out of his way NOT to give him any depth. We are subjected ad nauseam to his introspective musings, principally about how tough and clever he thinks he is, and their stupidity leaves one breathless. The dialogue sounds like the author read a lot of Spenser novels and liked them, but didn't learn a thing about how to portray clever characters exchanging truly witty repartee. The Dexter denizen are stupid, inarticulate and foul-mouthed. I quit after about 100 pages, and decided I would skip to the latest work in the hopes that Lindsay had learned how to write by then (unfortunately, he had not!).