Profile for Heather Pearson > Reviews

Content by Heather Pearson
Top Reviewer Ranking: 277

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Heather Pearson "Heather" (Ontario Canada)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
DMC 116 8-946 Pearl Cotton Thread Balls, Medium Burnt Orange, Size 8
DMC 116 8-946 Pearl Cotton Thread Balls, Medium Burnt Orange, Size 8
Price: CDN$ 3.68
9 used & new from CDN$ 3.68

5.0 out of 5 stars Best quality thread, Feb. 3 2015
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
this thread is great quality. I would recommend it for your embroidery needs for any project. It doesn't shed fluff like some threads.

Rot & Ruin
Rot & Ruin
by Jonathan Maberry
34 used & new from CDN$ 7.42

4.0 out of 5 stars Best all round Zombie book, Feb. 3 2015
Ce commentaire est de: Rot & Ruin (Hardcover)
This is the quality zombie inspired novel that I have been waiting for. Many books of the walking dead tell of mindless killers roaming every where wrecking havoc. These serve as the backdrop to some other story about the survivors. In this series, they are integral to the entire plot, not their activites, but how they are perceived and how they are treated.

Benny Imura barely remembers life before First Night. That was the night everything changed, when the dead no longer stayed dead. He's been living with his brother in a fenced community and now that he's fifteen, he's required to train for a job. He tries many jobs, but none of them suit. He finally decides to do the last thing he said he'd ever do, to continue in the family business of zombie killer. That means spending days on end with his older brother Tom, who he views as a coward.

As the training progresses, Benny starts to see Tom in a whole new light. He also learns much more about the world he thought he knew.

Through this story, author Jonathan Maberry considers the many ways that the survivors deal with the zombies from outright slaughter, to a compassionate approach that recalls that the zombies were once their family members, friends and neighbours. He also looks at the variety of communities that have sprung up, several of them were not ones that I would have considered at all.

This book is well written and should appeal to it's target YA audience. I am looking forward to reading the further books in the in the series.

THREE STRIKES AND YOU'RE DEAD
THREE STRIKES AND YOU'RE DEAD
Price: CDN$ 4.41

4.0 out of 5 stars A Well Crafted Mystery, Feb. 1 2015
There are some people who live and breath sports, and I'm talking about the spectators. When a lengthy strike threatens, baseball fan Joseph Skubul can't just sit at home and wait for it to end, he takes action. While chatting on an online forum, he joins forces with a person who identifies himself as The Advocate, and they make a plan. Not only are they miffed by the strike, but they are disgusted with the enormous salaries that the top players are pulling in. They want to bring baseball to it's knees and make it affordable for the average family.

You don't have to be a sports fan to enjoy this book. As much as it does involve baseball, it is more about human nature and mans quest for justice. This is the second book in the series, though it can be read as a stand alone. The three main characters, Roseanne, Randy and Graham, from Splattered Blood are back pursuing their careers as private investigators. They are now working under the tutelage of Pete Peterson of the Peterson Detective Agency. It is good to see that their relationships are developing further. Personally, I think that Roseanne and Randy are moving too quickly, though it is quite possible to happen this way in a real life situation.

The plot is well crafted and was revealed in a realistic manner and rate. I found it very believable that at times the story progressed slowly and then at others it seemed to leap ahead with rapid discovery of clues and links between suspects.

Dead Men Kill
Dead Men Kill
by L. Ron Hubbard
Edition: Audio CD
Price: CDN$ 14.56
7 used & new from CDN$ 14.56

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable story even though a bit dated., Feb. 1 2015
Ce commentaire est de: Dead Men Kill (Audio CD)
I had purposely avoided reading anything by L. Ron Hubbard due to his quasi religion. I couldn't separate the man from the church he founded. When Audible offered a free audio book download of Dead Men Kill, I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to determine whether there is any basis for my stance. I'm happy to say, that in this case, there isn't.

Dead Men Kill is a police based mystery story. Detective Terry Lane must find the perpetrator of several murders where all evidence points to recently dead men, in other words, zombies.

The slang is very dated, though accurate to the time when it was written during the 1930-40s. I wasn't able to find a specific year. Likewise, there was one scene that would be totally unacceptable by today's standards. When I heard it, it stopped me in my tracks, I couldn't believe what I heard. I quickly realised that the book wasn't written recently and that it was most likely an acceptable comment at the time of writing. I didn't let it stop me from enjoying the rest of the narration.

I found this an enjoyable story and it was greatly enhanced by the full cast dramatic reading. The reading ran for just over two hours and was perfect listening for an otherwise boring drive.

A glossary for the slang can be found at Galaxy Press.

Read by: R.F Daley, Jennifer Aspen, Lori Jablons. John Mariano, Matt Scott and Jim Meskimen.

Spic-and-Span!: Lillian Gilbreth's Wonder Kitchen
Spic-and-Span!: Lillian Gilbreth's Wonder Kitchen
by Monica Kulling
34 used & new from CDN$ 7.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - Should be in every classroom library, Jan. 25 2015
How did I not know about Lillian Gilbreth when the results of her work affect much of my waking hours. From the layout of my kitchen, to a number of appliances that I regularly use, she has made my life easier and undoubtedly safer. Her work on improving the ease and efficiency of assembly lines made the work easier, faster and safer for employees.

Lillian didn't just use her engineering and psychology skills in her job, but she employed them in running her household. With eleven children, she found it the only way to mange.

Author Monica Kulling has brought Lillian Gilbreth to life for me. She has presented a lot of information in bite size pieces that will appeal to the school age readers. I think that this book would most appeal to ages 8 - 12. It will also be of interest to adult readers, though it might leave them wanting to know more detail about Lillian and her works. I also recommend it to all young women considering a career in engineering.

This book, along with the others in the series, would be a great addition to any classroom library. Teachers could use it as a launching point for several discussions including: what do engineers do, types of jobs available, roles of women in the workplace, what in your house would you change to make life better...

The book is fully illustrated by David Parkins. His artwork depicts life in the early 1900's, at the time when Lillian was working.

Freak of Nature (IFICS Book 1)
Freak of Nature (IFICS Book 1)
Price: CDN$ 2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written story that kept my attention throughout, Jan. 20 2015
It was the cover that first attracted me to this book and it didn't mislead. This was a story I could hardly put down.

Kaitlyn is having a difficult time with her second coming of age. The first time she did it as a human girl and this time she is doing it as the first human robot/cyborg. Having signed her donor card to donate her body to science, after she suffers a fatal brain injury in a fall, her body ends up in the labs of Dr. Harrington. From that point forward, she is an experimental subject and no longer has any say over what happens to her body.

Dr. Harrington has no qualms about turning Kaitlyn into the perfect soldier, though Lucas, one of his scientists, has second thoughts about what they have done.

Even with all her enhancements, Kaitlyn is still a girl, but she no longer knows how to be the person she was before the accident. Some of her mistakes were amusing. Others reminded me of ones that a foreigner to Canada or the United States might make such as not knowing the current slang. It also emphasised that text book learning is not enough, real world experience is required.

Did I mention that there is romance. Can't tell you about that, want to keep the suspense.

Even though this level of human/robot hybrid is far off in the future, it does bring to mind the question of whether it should be done. Just because we have the technology, should we be using it.

This is a well written book that kept me reading long after I should have been asleep. Though this book is aimed at a YA audience, it has enough detail to keep an adult reader involved.

The Town That Drowned
The Town That Drowned
by Riel Nason
Price: CDN$ 14.40
32 used & new from CDN$ 0.03

5.0 out of 5 stars An unusual coming of age story, Jan. 20 2015
Ce commentaire est de: The Town That Drowned (Paperback)
It's the mid 1960's in a small town in New Brunswick. Little do the residents know, over the next two years life in their town is going to change in ways they could never have imagined. The entire town lies in the future flood plain of a yet to built dam. Almost everyone will have to move. For most people, they will adapt, but for the Carson family, it will be more of a challenge. Their nine year old son, Percy, is not like the other kids. He sticks to his own strict routine and doesn't accept change. (autism?) Along with worrying about her brother and his quirky behaviour, Ruby has her own issues. Ever since she fell in the river, hitting her head, no one will let her forget the prophetic babbling she uttered.

Small towns can be a supportive community where everyone knows everyone else, but it can also seem like a punishment when people continue to rub past events in your face. Ruby is hoping that the forced move will improve her and Percy's lot in life.

While the main story line is the flooding of the town, that of Percy, his behaviour and how the towns people respond to him is equally significant in my opinion. The term autism has been used since 1908, though it wasn't until the 1970s that it became more widely know. Keeping this in mind, I shouldn't be too surprised that there was so little understanding/tolerance for Percy.

I was younger than Percy at the time this novel was set. I have no memories of politics and how governments worked. In this book, the provincial government is portrayed as paternalistic. No public hearings nor consultations with the affected communities were held. No discussion with the towns people of where they want to located their new town. This lack of consultation led to all sorts of distrust and rumours in the community. I really got the feel of neighbour against neighbour as people tried to cope with their loss.

This book should appeal to teens through adults. History lovers will appreciate that the story was inspired by the construction of a dam on the St. John River in the late 1960's.

This is a debut novel for author Riel Nason

Canada
Canada
by Richard Ford
10 used & new from CDN$ 2.80

2.0 out of 5 stars Reads like a monotone painting, Jan. 18 2015
Ce commentaire est de: Canada (Paperback)
The best part of this book is that a large portion of it was set in Canada. Other than that, I'd describe it as a monotone, even when something did happen, it was related in such a level, paced manor that it seemed common and even mundane.

The reader knows from the opening lines that the parents commit a robbery and some time later there are some murders. That's the excitement, in those two lines. Later, there are a few pages detailing how the country of Canada is introduced to the story, but really, it's just not an exciting story.

It is an unusual coming of age story for twins. Berner strikes off on her own and rarely enters back into the story, while her brother Dell is sent to live with the brother of a friend of the family. Within a short few months, Dell is exposed to and involved in a lifetime of situations.

Dell did learn important lessons from the three males in his life: his father (the bank robber), Arthur Remlinger (his guardian in Canada) and Charley(the Metis hunting guide in Canada). None of them were good roll models, but they each taught him important lessons.

I am left wondering why Mr. Ford chose to tell this story in such a dry manner. He could have made it much more lively. Then again, this telling did reflect the gravity of the misdeeds of the parents. There was one brief moment of levity when Dell went off on his own to find a school for himself.

If you are looking for a story with exciting bank robbers and flamboyant murders, this isn't the book. If you are looking for a sober reflection on a boy's coming of age, this is the book.

The Kingdom (The Graveyard Queen)
The Kingdom (The Graveyard Queen)
Price: CDN$ 4.43

5.0 out of 5 stars better than the first book, Jan. 12 2015
Amelia Gray's story continues in The Kingdom. She has been hired to restore a community graveyard in the isolated town of Asher Falls, South Carolina. Almost immediately after her arrival, she sees her first ghost. This doesn't bode well for the job she has ahead of her.

An important part of the restoration, is researching the history of the graveyard. This should be relatively straight forward since every body in the cemetery is dead and their lives are closed. Written history, so to speak. But it is made clear to Amelia that she would be better off not asking questions. Now she has ghosts, the creepy Asher family crypt and people keeping big secrets, everything needed for a riveting read.

I love this book even more than The Restorer, the first book in the series. The characters were more mysterious with quite varied backgrounds. Each one of them took this story on many twists and turns that I didn't imagine. The addition of the dog Angus, added a new dimension to the story which I totally enjoyed.

Book 3 is now available, and Amanda is currently working on Book 4, The Visitor, due out some time during 2015.

As I was reading The Kingdom, it made me think of Saints in the Shadows by Alana Cash, which I reviewed previously. While both books had an bit of an other worldly feel, it was not the creepiness that stuck with me. I was drawn to the main characters in both books, there was a warmth to them, the kind of warmth that had me wanting to invite them over for tea. I felt comfortable with them. That is ultimately the best feeling I can get from a work of fiction.

The Restorer (The Graveyard Queen)
The Restorer (The Graveyard Queen)
Price: CDN$ 1.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Left me wanting more, Jan. 12 2015
I had no idea that there were people out there who worked to restore graveyards. Not something I had ever considered. I would worry about being alone in some dark, creepy corner and having someone sneak up on me. As it turns out, Amelia Gray has the same feelings, though for different reasons. Since she was young, she has been able to see ghosts. Her adoptive father can also see them and has given her a set of rules to live by.

Never acknowledge a ghost's presence.
Never stray from hallow ground.
Keep your distance from those who are haunted.
Never tempt fate.

While she is working at Oak Grove Cemetery, a body of a young woman is found. Not only does this complicate Amelia's job, but it also brings her into close contact with a Police Detective who is being haunted by his wife and daughter.

I was fascinated by the entire plot of this story. The idea of going into a haunted cemetery scared me, but it was this same creepiness that kept drawing me back into the book. After reading The Restorer, I found out that this genre is known as Modern Gothic.

As the book proceeded, I found myself cheering for both Amelia and Detective Devlin. I am looking forward to reading more of The Graveyard Queen Series and following paths of their lives.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20