Profile for Heather Pearson > Reviews

Content by Heather Pearson
Top Reviewer Ranking: 258

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Heather Pearson "Heather" (Ontario Canada)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Killing Floor
Killing Floor
by Lee Child
Edition: MP3 CD
Price: CDN$ 12.78
13 used & new from CDN$ 6.25

4.0 out of 5 stars one of the best read audio books, March 29 2015
This review is from: Killing Floor (MP3 CD)
I loved every minute of this audio book. I listened at each opportunity and frequently found myself walking longer each day so I could listen to an additional chapter or three.

Killing Floor is the first book in the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child. Jack finds himself in Margrave, Georgia enjoying a quiet breakfast washed down with the best cup of coffe when the police show up, guns drawn, and arrest him. He is accused of a brutal murder that took place the previous night. Now it's up to Jack to find the real murderer in order to prove his innocence.

Jack is ex-military. One of those guys that you can count on. At critical plot moments, I found myself yelling out loud and cheering for him. Not a good thing when hyou are reading in public. I can't decide which supporting characters I loved most, the Harvard educated Detective Findley or Sergeant Roscoe, a blossoming love interest to Jack. The two old guys in the barber shop added warmth to a town that needed something real and not the phoney cheerfulness that excessive amounts of money can buy.

This book was read by Dick Hill. He has the most amazing voice. He has been named a "Golden Voice" and "Voice of the Century" by Audiofile magazine. If I didn't know better, I would insist that James Earl Jones spoke the dialogue of Detective Findley. The audio book is from Brilliance Audio, runs 15 hours unabridged.

Tent City
Tent City
Price: CDN$ 3.27

4.0 out of 5 stars a good page turner, March 22 2015
This review is from: Tent City (Kindle Edition)
A plague of locusts has destroyed the world's crops leading to devastating food shortages. So many people have died that the very survival of the human race is in doubt. On the eve of the establishment of safety camps for young people, Dani and her little brother Brody, flee their home seeking safety in the Black Hills of South Dakota.

The two can't possibly survive without the help of several other teens. Kit has been Dani's friend for years, while others such as Bentley, Jack and Callie are new friends. Together, they form a cohesive group with many strengths.

I enjoyed reading this story and felt that much of it was quite plausible. Yes, older teens could be sent off on their own to survive, some being more capable than others. Their banding together seemed a natural response to their situation.

The setting of the Black Hills is practically a magical place to me. I know it only from the Beatles song "Rocky Raccoon". It is a vast, under-populated area with lots of hiding places. A great place to hide.

Were the locusts a natural occurrence or a biblical plague. Religion does play a role in this story, though not in a persuasive way, rather as the belief/practise of a segment of the characters. It is yet to be told how much of a role it truly plays in the development of the plot or if it really is just and excuse for men to behave badly.

I look forward to this story continuing in the next book Red River.

Natural Causes: An Inspector McLean Novel
Natural Causes: An Inspector McLean Novel
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers CA
Price: CDN$ 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard to put down, March 18 2015
I was captivated by this story from the opening pages and read it through in two days amid other obligations.

Detective Inspector Anthony McLean is out walking and happens upon a police call. He enters the premise and finds himself at the gruesome murder scene of a prominent citizen. The next morning he is called to the site of a very different murder, one that occurred over fifty years ago, and this one clearly appears to have been the result of a perverse ritual. True evil is afoot.

Aided in the pursuit of the murderers are a stellar set of character whom I hope to encounter in future books in this series. Angus Cadwallader the pathologist, Grumpy Bob and DC Stuart McBride round out Tony's co-workers.

While reading this mystery within a mystery, I quickly figured out the basics of what happened and kept calling aloud, "I knew it" though I had to keep reading to find out the details. I like the character of Tony and I felt bad for the sorrows of his life. I found myself rooting for him in solving these cases.

Circles (Shining Light's Saga Book 1)
Circles (Shining Light's Saga Book 1)
Price: CDN$ 0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars More than a coming of age story, March 18 2015
Regardless of the time period or the culture, it is not always straightforward for a boy to become a man. Even before he was born, others knew that Feather Floating in Water was destined for great deeds. He would lead his, and many other peoples to a new and safe land. He was not left alone to achieve this; he had the wisdom of several elders and the words of his ancestors and spirit guides to teach him.

This story is set around 1500 in an un-stated North American location. For most of the story I pondered which tribe these people might be and where they lived. After I finished reading, I finally realized that it didn't really matter; it wasn't a narrative of a specific tribe, rather that of a way of life and of a belief system that could be applied to many peoples.

The Band of Fish People are peaceful. Their way of life shows respect for the animals that provide for them. Through his dreams, Feather Floating in Water, learns that he must lead his tribe and others that will come to follow him to a new land. His belief in the ways of his people is strong and he trusts that the elders and those that have come before will guide him. I was impressed with how Ms. Standing Deer conveyed this belief system and made it feel real to me. She had me carefully reading the words of the ancestors.

While it took me a few chapters to get into the gentle tone of the book, but the closing chapters, I was totally involved with the characters and was fearing for their continued safety. This is a gently told story which was a good reprieve from the business of my everyday life.

This story should appeal to a wide audience from chapter reading grade school children on up to seniors.

DMC 116 8-946 Pearl Cotton Thread Balls, Medium Burnt Orange, Size 8
DMC 116 8-946 Pearl Cotton Thread Balls, Medium Burnt Orange, Size 8
Price: CDN$ 3.68
14 used & new from CDN$ 3.68

5.0 out of 5 stars Best quality thread, Feb. 3 2015
this thread is great quality. I would recommend it for your embroidery needs for any project. It doesn't shed fluff like some threads.

Rot & Ruin
Rot & Ruin
by Jonathan Maberry
Price: CDN$ 14.43
45 used & new from CDN$ 2.88

4.0 out of 5 stars Best all round Zombie book, Feb. 3 2015
This review is from: Rot & Ruin (Hardcover)
This is the quality zombie inspired novel that I have been waiting for. Many books of the walking dead tell of mindless killers roaming every where wrecking havoc. These serve as the backdrop to some other story about the survivors. In this series, they are integral to the entire plot, not their activites, but how they are perceived and how they are treated.

Benny Imura barely remembers life before First Night. That was the night everything changed, when the dead no longer stayed dead. He's been living with his brother in a fenced community and now that he's fifteen, he's required to train for a job. He tries many jobs, but none of them suit. He finally decides to do the last thing he said he'd ever do, to continue in the family business of zombie killer. That means spending days on end with his older brother Tom, who he views as a coward.

As the training progresses, Benny starts to see Tom in a whole new light. He also learns much more about the world he thought he knew.

Through this story, author Jonathan Maberry considers the many ways that the survivors deal with the zombies from outright slaughter, to a compassionate approach that recalls that the zombies were once their family members, friends and neighbours. He also looks at the variety of communities that have sprung up, several of them were not ones that I would have considered at all.

This book is well written and should appeal to it's target YA audience. I am looking forward to reading the further books in the in the series.

THREE STRIKES AND YOU'RE DEAD
THREE STRIKES AND YOU'RE DEAD
Price: CDN$ 4.41

4.0 out of 5 stars A Well Crafted Mystery, Feb. 1 2015
There are some people who live and breath sports, and I'm talking about the spectators. When a lengthy strike threatens, baseball fan Joseph Skubul can't just sit at home and wait for it to end, he takes action. While chatting on an online forum, he joins forces with a person who identifies himself as The Advocate, and they make a plan. Not only are they miffed by the strike, but they are disgusted with the enormous salaries that the top players are pulling in. They want to bring baseball to it's knees and make it affordable for the average family.

You don't have to be a sports fan to enjoy this book. As much as it does involve baseball, it is more about human nature and mans quest for justice. This is the second book in the series, though it can be read as a stand alone. The three main characters, Roseanne, Randy and Graham, from Splattered Blood are back pursuing their careers as private investigators. They are now working under the tutelage of Pete Peterson of the Peterson Detective Agency. It is good to see that their relationships are developing further. Personally, I think that Roseanne and Randy are moving too quickly, though it is quite possible to happen this way in a real life situation.

The plot is well crafted and was revealed in a realistic manner and rate. I found it very believable that at times the story progressed slowly and then at others it seemed to leap ahead with rapid discovery of clues and links between suspects.

Dead Men Kill
Dead Men Kill
by L. Ron Hubbard
Edition: Audio CD
Price: CDN$ 14.56
8 used & new from CDN$ 14.56

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable story even though a bit dated., Feb. 1 2015
This review is from: Dead Men Kill (Audio CD)
I had purposely avoided reading anything by L. Ron Hubbard due to his quasi religion. I couldn't separate the man from the church he founded. When Audible offered a free audio book download of Dead Men Kill, I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to determine whether there is any basis for my stance. I'm happy to say, that in this case, there isn't.

Dead Men Kill is a police based mystery story. Detective Terry Lane must find the perpetrator of several murders where all evidence points to recently dead men, in other words, zombies.

The slang is very dated, though accurate to the time when it was written during the 1930-40s. I wasn't able to find a specific year. Likewise, there was one scene that would be totally unacceptable by today's standards. When I heard it, it stopped me in my tracks, I couldn't believe what I heard. I quickly realised that the book wasn't written recently and that it was most likely an acceptable comment at the time of writing. I didn't let it stop me from enjoying the rest of the narration.

I found this an enjoyable story and it was greatly enhanced by the full cast dramatic reading. The reading ran for just over two hours and was perfect listening for an otherwise boring drive.

A glossary for the slang can be found at Galaxy Press.

Read by: R.F Daley, Jennifer Aspen, Lori Jablons. John Mariano, Matt Scott and Jim Meskimen.

Spic-and-Span!: Lillian Gilbreth's Wonder Kitchen
Spic-and-Span!: Lillian Gilbreth's Wonder Kitchen
by Monica Kulling
Price: CDN$ 14.43
35 used & new from CDN$ 9.26

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - Should be in every classroom library, Jan. 25 2015
How did I not know about Lillian Gilbreth when the results of her work affect much of my waking hours. From the layout of my kitchen, to a number of appliances that I regularly use, she has made my life easier and undoubtedly safer. Her work on improving the ease and efficiency of assembly lines made the work easier, faster and safer for employees.

Lillian didn't just use her engineering and psychology skills in her job, but she employed them in running her household. With eleven children, she found it the only way to mange.

Author Monica Kulling has brought Lillian Gilbreth to life for me. She has presented a lot of information in bite size pieces that will appeal to the school age readers. I think that this book would most appeal to ages 8 - 12. It will also be of interest to adult readers, though it might leave them wanting to know more detail about Lillian and her works. I also recommend it to all young women considering a career in engineering.

This book, along with the others in the series, would be a great addition to any classroom library. Teachers could use it as a launching point for several discussions including: what do engineers do, types of jobs available, roles of women in the workplace, what in your house would you change to make life better...

The book is fully illustrated by David Parkins. His artwork depicts life in the early 1900's, at the time when Lillian was working.

Freak of Nature (IFICS Book 1)
Freak of Nature (IFICS Book 1)
Price: CDN$ 3.12

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written story that kept my attention throughout, Jan. 20 2015
It was the cover that first attracted me to this book and it didn't mislead. This was a story I could hardly put down.

Kaitlyn is having a difficult time with her second coming of age. The first time she did it as a human girl and this time she is doing it as the first human robot/cyborg. Having signed her donor card to donate her body to science, after she suffers a fatal brain injury in a fall, her body ends up in the labs of Dr. Harrington. From that point forward, she is an experimental subject and no longer has any say over what happens to her body.

Dr. Harrington has no qualms about turning Kaitlyn into the perfect soldier, though Lucas, one of his scientists, has second thoughts about what they have done.

Even with all her enhancements, Kaitlyn is still a girl, but she no longer knows how to be the person she was before the accident. Some of her mistakes were amusing. Others reminded me of ones that a foreigner to Canada or the United States might make such as not knowing the current slang. It also emphasised that text book learning is not enough, real world experience is required.

Did I mention that there is romance. Can't tell you about that, want to keep the suspense.

Even though this level of human/robot hybrid is far off in the future, it does bring to mind the question of whether it should be done. Just because we have the technology, should we be using it.

This is a well written book that kept me reading long after I should have been asleep. Though this book is aimed at a YA audience, it has enough detail to keep an adult reader involved.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20