Profile for Heather Pearson > Reviews

Content by Heather Pearson
Top Reviewer Ranking: 253

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Heather Pearson "Heather" (Ontario Canada)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Quartet [Import]
Quartet [Import]
Offered by Fulfillment Express CA
Price: CDN$ 30.80
28 used & new from CDN$ 4.11

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, April 17 2015
Ce commentaire est de: Quartet [Import] (DVD)
Absolutely brilliant. My daughter pulled me kicking and sreaming saying I didn't wan to watch a singing movie, but I loved every minute. the story concept of a retirement home for musicians putting on a musical is unique. Terrific cast. Most movies are filled with young people, but these are real actors and musicians who have performed at the tops of their fields. Now they are back and still performing at the top. Wow. Can't say enough good things about this movie. Bravo.

Daylight Runner
Daylight Runner
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers CA
Price: CDN$ 9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Belongs in every Classroom library, April 14 2015
Ce commentaire est de: Daylight Runner (Kindle Edition)
Sol Wheat lives in the futuristic city of Ash Harbor. Possibly one of the last remaining human populations after a world wide ice age has made outdoor survival impossible.
To help him deal with the challenges of being a teenager, Sol has taken to running, and with the encouragement of his father, boxing. When his father disappears, Sol takes it upon himself to find him and to determine whether it has anything to do with the mysterious "accidents" that are plaguing Ash Harbor.
Sol is now forced to grow up quickly and at the same time, to decide what type of man he wants to become. He realizes that he could very easily become a violent, lawless type that his father would never have respected.
While this story occurs in a setting its readers will probably never experience, they may have to face similar moral issues. It's not always easy to decide which is the correct course of action. In Sol's case he is lucky to have a teacher he trusts, Ana Kiroa, and a friend, Cleo to help guide him, and the unlikely mentor, Maslow, to keep him alive long enough so that Sol can find his answers.
Once you get past Sol's tough guy image, you realize that he's a good person and you'll find yourself cheering for him.
I would recommend this book for every teacher's bookshelf. There is a student like Sol in each classroom needing to connect with a caring adult.
I will be passing this book along to a new friend that I met at the Endurrun. He's a runner of course, but also a boxer.

Fluency (Confluence Book 1)
Fluency (Confluence Book 1)
Price: CDN$ 3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good classic sci-fi, April 8 2015
We all know that governments keep secrets, but the American government has been keeping a big one, a city sized one in fact. In the 1960s they discovered a city size alien space ship orbiting far beyond Mars. NASA has finally sent a six person team to investigate.

Linguist, Dr. Jane Holloway, is expected to learn how to communicate with the aliens, or should the ship be deserted, decipher their artifacts. What she does discover, is very different indeed. The voice of an alien, speaks to her in her head, making her question her very sanity.

This is a very enjoyable book that pulled me in from the opening chapter. I liked the unease of Dr. Bergen, an aeronautics engineer, when he first meets Jane to convince her to join the program. It made him seem real and approachable.

The concept of a city size ship to explore is a great setting for the novel. It provides all sorts of opportunities for author Jennifer Foehner Wells to take the story in any number of directions.

The six person crew is interesting. They were all selected as the best people for the venture, but they also have to get along for the lengthy trip. There is a good mix of friendship as well as the expected tensions of people who have no say in working together.

All in all, this is classic science fiction, it comes close to being fantasy, but stays just within the realm of possible. I look forward to reading more by Jennifer Foehner Wells.

Predictably Irrational Revised And Expanded Edition: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions
by Dan Ariely
Price: CDN$ 14.43
40 used & new from CDN$ 8.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating reading that's easy to follow, April 6 2015
I found this book to be fascinating. Even though this is a scholarly work, it is very readable and easily understood. The finding of Mr. Ariely and his associates are well illustrated by an assortment of simple experiments that were conducted at several well respected Universities.

Before I started reading, I felt that I made quite rational decisions and that I was not unduly swayed by advertising and other outside influences. I now suspect that this might not be true. I was surprised to find how much we are all influenced by our surrounding and those around us.

Whether it affects our decision of how long a magazine subscription to select, whether I need a medication or will a placebo suffice, is a free item really free, or even if we have ordered what we truly desire in a restaurant or did we make our choice so it will be different that everyone else at the table.

I was further surprised to find that even our level of honesty can be influenced by a variety of circumstances.

Mr. Ariely does not leave us without hope. He does assure the reader that he can make rational decisions.

I would highly recommend this book to any who are a student of understanding human nature. Now I am wondering how I can use my new found knowledge to get my children to do what I want them to do without them realizing how much I have influenced their decision.

Killing Floor
Killing Floor
by Lee Child
Edition: MP3 CD
Price: CDN$ 12.07
15 used & new from CDN$ 5.44

4.0 out of 5 stars one of the best read audio books, March 29 2015
Ce commentaire est de: Killing Floor (MP3 CD)
I loved every minute of this audio book. I listened at each opportunity and frequently found myself walking longer each day so I could listen to an additional chapter or three.

Killing Floor is the first book in the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child. Jack finds himself in Margrave, Georgia enjoying a quiet breakfast washed down with the best cup of coffe when the police show up, guns drawn, and arrest him. He is accused of a brutal murder that took place the previous night. Now it's up to Jack to find the real murderer in order to prove his innocence.

Jack is ex-military. One of those guys that you can count on. At critical plot moments, I found myself yelling out loud and cheering for him. Not a good thing when hyou are reading in public. I can't decide which supporting characters I loved most, the Harvard educated Detective Findley or Sergeant Roscoe, a blossoming love interest to Jack. The two old guys in the barber shop added warmth to a town that needed something real and not the phoney cheerfulness that excessive amounts of money can buy.

This book was read by Dick Hill. He has the most amazing voice. He has been named a "Golden Voice" and "Voice of the Century" by Audiofile magazine. If I didn't know better, I would insist that James Earl Jones spoke the dialogue of Detective Findley. The audio book is from Brilliance Audio, runs 15 hours unabridged.

Tent City
Tent City
Price: CDN$ 3.27

4.0 out of 5 stars a good page turner, March 22 2015
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Ce commentaire est de: Tent City (Kindle Edition)
A plague of locusts has destroyed the world's crops leading to devastating food shortages. So many people have died that the very survival of the human race is in doubt. On the eve of the establishment of safety camps for young people, Dani and her little brother Brody, flee their home seeking safety in the Black Hills of South Dakota.

The two can't possibly survive without the help of several other teens. Kit has been Dani's friend for years, while others such as Bentley, Jack and Callie are new friends. Together, they form a cohesive group with many strengths.

I enjoyed reading this story and felt that much of it was quite plausible. Yes, older teens could be sent off on their own to survive, some being more capable than others. Their banding together seemed a natural response to their situation.

The setting of the Black Hills is practically a magical place to me. I know it only from the Beatles song "Rocky Raccoon". It is a vast, under-populated area with lots of hiding places. A great place to hide.

Were the locusts a natural occurrence or a biblical plague. Religion does play a role in this story, though not in a persuasive way, rather as the belief/practise of a segment of the characters. It is yet to be told how much of a role it truly plays in the development of the plot or if it really is just and excuse for men to behave badly.

I look forward to this story continuing in the next book Red River.

Natural Causes: An Inspector McLean Novel
Natural Causes: An Inspector McLean Novel
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers CA
Price: CDN$ 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard to put down, March 18 2015
I was captivated by this story from the opening pages and read it through in two days amid other obligations.

Detective Inspector Anthony McLean is out walking and happens upon a police call. He enters the premise and finds himself at the gruesome murder scene of a prominent citizen. The next morning he is called to the site of a very different murder, one that occurred over fifty years ago, and this one clearly appears to have been the result of a perverse ritual. True evil is afoot.

Aided in the pursuit of the murderers are a stellar set of character whom I hope to encounter in future books in this series. Angus Cadwallader the pathologist, Grumpy Bob and DC Stuart McBride round out Tony's co-workers.

While reading this mystery within a mystery, I quickly figured out the basics of what happened and kept calling aloud, "I knew it" though I had to keep reading to find out the details. I like the character of Tony and I felt bad for the sorrows of his life. I found myself rooting for him in solving these cases.

Circles (Shining Light's Saga Book 1)
Circles (Shining Light's Saga Book 1)
Price: CDN$ 0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars More than a coming of age story, March 18 2015
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Regardless of the time period or the culture, it is not always straightforward for a boy to become a man. Even before he was born, others knew that Feather Floating in Water was destined for great deeds. He would lead his, and many other peoples to a new and safe land. He was not left alone to achieve this; he had the wisdom of several elders and the words of his ancestors and spirit guides to teach him.

This story is set around 1500 in an un-stated North American location. For most of the story I pondered which tribe these people might be and where they lived. After I finished reading, I finally realized that it didn't really matter; it wasn't a narrative of a specific tribe, rather that of a way of life and of a belief system that could be applied to many peoples.

The Band of Fish People are peaceful. Their way of life shows respect for the animals that provide for them. Through his dreams, Feather Floating in Water, learns that he must lead his tribe and others that will come to follow him to a new land. His belief in the ways of his people is strong and he trusts that the elders and those that have come before will guide him. I was impressed with how Ms. Standing Deer conveyed this belief system and made it feel real to me. She had me carefully reading the words of the ancestors.

While it took me a few chapters to get into the gentle tone of the book, but the closing chapters, I was totally involved with the characters and was fearing for their continued safety. This is a gently told story which was a good reprieve from the business of my everyday life.

This story should appeal to a wide audience from chapter reading grade school children on up to seniors.

DMC 116 8-946 Pearl Cotton Thread Balls, Medium Burnt Orange, Size 8
DMC 116 8-946 Pearl Cotton Thread Balls, Medium Burnt Orange, Size 8
Price: CDN$ 3.68
14 used & new from CDN$ 3.68

5.0 out of 5 stars Best quality thread, Feb. 3 2015
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
this thread is great quality. I would recommend it for your embroidery needs for any project. It doesn't shed fluff like some threads.

Rot & Ruin
Rot & Ruin
by Jonathan Maberry
Price: CDN$ 14.43
35 used & new from CDN$ 2.32

4.0 out of 5 stars Best all round Zombie book, Feb. 3 2015
Ce commentaire est de: Rot & Ruin (Hardcover)
This is the quality zombie inspired novel that I have been waiting for. Many books of the walking dead tell of mindless killers roaming every where wrecking havoc. These serve as the backdrop to some other story about the survivors. In this series, they are integral to the entire plot, not their activites, but how they are perceived and how they are treated.

Benny Imura barely remembers life before First Night. That was the night everything changed, when the dead no longer stayed dead. He's been living with his brother in a fenced community and now that he's fifteen, he's required to train for a job. He tries many jobs, but none of them suit. He finally decides to do the last thing he said he'd ever do, to continue in the family business of zombie killer. That means spending days on end with his older brother Tom, who he views as a coward.

As the training progresses, Benny starts to see Tom in a whole new light. He also learns much more about the world he thought he knew.

Through this story, author Jonathan Maberry considers the many ways that the survivors deal with the zombies from outright slaughter, to a compassionate approach that recalls that the zombies were once their family members, friends and neighbours. He also looks at the variety of communities that have sprung up, several of them were not ones that I would have considered at all.

This book is well written and should appeal to it's target YA audience. I am looking forward to reading the further books in the in the series.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20