Profile for cowsarenotevil > Reviews

Content by cowsarenotevil

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

cowsarenotevil (earth)

AI Techniques for Game Programming
AI Techniques for Game Programming
by Mat Buckland
11 used & new from CDN$ 34.38

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, doesn't try to cover everything., Dec 13 2003
I really don't see why so many people freak out and pretend to be all upset because it covers use of the GDI at the beginning. I'll agree that in many cases it's not particularly helpful, but I don't see why people pretend to be incapable of going past those chapters. Anyway, I like this book a lot because it gets you making things that actually work, and it doesn't do it in a way that it's impossible to figure out what the heck the author is talking about. I only rate it 4 stars because it would be better titled as "Neural Nets and Genetic Algorithms for Stuff." It doesn't cover anything other than neural nets and genetics, and it certainly doesn't seem to be limited to games.

Game Programming Gems
Game Programming Gems
by Mark DeLoura
14 used & new from CDN$ 24.78

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful., Dec 8 2003
This review is from: Game Programming Gems (Hardcover)
I've found this book to be very useful in game programming. The variety of articles an concepts covered is very vast. In fact, that is probably the cause for its only (in my opinion) shortcomming - that many of the articles aren't long or complete enough. An excellent book if you're looking for an introduction to many different concepts.

Game Programming for Teens
Game Programming for Teens
by Maneesh Sethi
Price: CDN$ 38.95
21 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for those wishing to be professionals., Sept. 20 2003
I don't actually own it, but I've read a considerable amount of it. It looks like a good introduction to Blitz Basic, but Blitz Basic itself is generally much simpler than languages used in industrial situations, such as C and C++, and many say that languages based on BASIC teach bad habits for those languages and is not flexible or fast enough. However, this book teaches several important language-nonspecific concepts, and is good for someone programming games for fun, rather than profit.
EDIT: Note that I am NOT saying that this is a bad book for it's subject matter. I am merely saying that there are many different ways for "teens"(I happen to be one myself, if you care) to get in to game programming, some of which are more powerful and more often used professionally.

3D Math Primer For Graphics And Game Development
3D Math Primer For Graphics And Game Development
by Fletcher Dunn
Price: CDN$ 43.16
22 used & new from CDN$ 11.04

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent., Aug. 31 2003
I think this book is one of the best books I've purchased on programming. It covers everything in detail, and really helps things make sense. It's especially good for someone who can program and knows a 3D API already(like me). It also requires no more than high school algebra (which is excellent because I'm 14). The only thing it lacked was triangle to triangle collision detection and collision response, but that is perhaps beyond the scope of the book.