Profile for Ernie Zelinski > Reviews

Content by Ernie Zelinski

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Ernie Zelinski "World-Class Author, Innovator, and Unconventional Career Expert" (Edmonton, Alberta)

The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich
The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich
by Timothy Ferriss
46 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars One of My Favorite Books of All Time, Nov. 27 2007
As the author of the international bestseller "The Joy of Not Working" (over 225,000 copies sold) and "How to Retire Happy, Wild, and Free" (over 75,000 copies sold) I follow the principles in my books. Indeed, I have a great lifestyle. I work only 4 to 5 hours a day and make a comfortable living. In my books I advocate that people leave corporate life as soon as possible and work less than half the hours of the average working stiff.

I always considered that the paradigm that I operate with is much different than that of the average working person. But after reading "The 4-Hour Workweek", I realize that my paradigm is much closer to that of the average working person than that of Tim Ferris. I now want to operate closer to the level of Tim Ferris.

I love this book. I disagree with most of the negative comments made by certain reviewers. There is a lot of valuable material in this classic that we all can use although we may never get to the point of working only 4 hours a week. We may be able to work only two hours a day, however, and still make a great living.

Some of the most important principles in this book are:

1. Get unrealistic.
2. Practice the art of nonfinishing.
3. Cultivate selective ignorance.
4. Do not multi-task.
5. Outsource as much of your life as you can.
6. Being busy is a form of laziness - lazy thinking and indiscriminate action.
7. Forget about time management.

This book is written for ordinary people who want to accomplish extraordinary things with minimal time involved.

Here are five of several favorite quotes from "The 4-Hour Workweek" that I intend to place on The Joy of Not Working Website ( [...] )

1. If you are insecure, guess what? The rest of the world is, too. Do not overestimate the competition and underestimate yourself. You are better than you think.

2. The blind quest for cash is a fool's errand.

3. It's lonely at the top. Ninety-nine percent of people in the world are convinced they are incapable of achieving great things, so they aim for the mediocre. The level of competition is thus fiercest for "realistic" goals, paradoxically making them the most time-consuming and energy consuming. It is easier to raise $10,000,000 than it is $1,000,000. It is easier to pick up the one perfect 10 in the bar than the five 8s.

4. The fishing is best where the fewest go, and the collective insecurity of the world makes it easy for people to hit home runs while everyone is aiming for base hits.

5. Tens of thousands of people, most of them less capable than you, leave their jobs every day. It's neither uncommon nor fatal.

In short, "The 4-Hour Workweek" can set you on a new course in life where you have a lot more leisure time and a lot more money at the same time. In fact, the material in this book, as in Richard Koch's "Living the 80/20 Way", can be much more valuable than an MBA if you would like to get what you want out of life without killing yourself for it.

But you will have to take risks and give up some of your most treasured beliefs. No doubt most people will read "The 4-Hour Workweek" and not consider making any major changes to get out of their stale, boring jobs. As Timothy Ferris states, "Pure hell forces action, but anything less can be endured with enough clever rationalization."

If you would like to be one of the few who enjoy a life filled with a lot of freedom and leisure, however, then read this book and adopt the principles that resonate with you. Follow these principles religiously and your life will likely change dramatically for the better.