ARRAY(0xbffc0810)

Profile for Paul Doland > Reviews

Content by Paul Doland

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Paul Doland (Houston, TX USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Case For A Creator
Case For A Creator
by Lee Strobel
Price: CDN$ 19.59
63 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars More dishonesty from Lee Strobel, May 30 2004
This review is from: Case For A Creator (Hardcover)
I don't know how to rate this. For its intended purpose, to lend a scientific air to Creationism for the Creationist-minded, it does a great job. Dishonestly of course, but a great job. In his introduction, Strobel has this to say:
"When I first began exploring these issues in the early 1980's, I found that there was sufficient amount of evidence to guide me to a confident conclusion. Much has changed since then, however. Science is always pressing relentlessly forward, and a lot more data and many more discoveries have poured into the reservoir of scientific knowledge during the past twenty years. All of which has prompted me to ask a new question: does this deeper and richer pool of contemporary scientific research contradict or affirm the conclusions I reached so many years ago? Put another way, in which direction-toward Darwin or God-is the current arrow of science pointing?"
He goes on to explain that his approach would be to cross-examine authorities, doctorate-level professors. My, what an amazing coincidence that all the doctorate-level authorities that he picked happen to be Christian theists! I expect that I am going to be misinterpreted as "bashing" his authorities simply by being Christian. No, that's not the point. Most Christians I know are fine people. But, if you are really wanting to find out whether science confirms the "God theory", you don't only pick people that you know ahead of time are going to say "yes, Lee, that is exactly right." That's like saying, "I'm going to get to the bottom of this Buddhist stuff, I'm going to interview a bunch of Buddhist monks and see if they tell me that Buddhism is all its cracked up to be." I can tell that Strobel is smart enough to know this, so I can only conclude that his pretense of playing the skeptic is pure deception.
Similarly, while I agree that the people who Strobel interviewed have good credentials, they do hold minority opinions in their fields. Again, I am not "bashing" his authorities simply for holding minority opinions-minority opinions can and do become majority opinions. But again, if you are actually trying to do an investigation, you don't simply talk to people who hold minority opinions and ask them if their opinion is correct. I find this more evidence of Strobel's pretense of playing the skeptic to be a complete farce.
For the rest of the book, Strobel basically asks the question, "why is there something instead of nothing?" This is, indeed, the most imponderable of imponderables. The problem is, even if he is right that God made everything, God is still a "SOMETHING" and so you still are left with the question, "why is there SOMETHING instead of nothing". He of course produced the usual answers about God needs no why, is eternal, etc. But that is just a dodge, you simply cannot answer why is there God instead of nothing. Ultimately, there just is no answer to the question, "why is there something instead of nothing?" and not even God can fix that.
I know that most people think "God" is at least a better answer than no answer, but its not. God is just a magic "black box" (to borrow from Dr. Behe, who called the cell a black box) that can fix every question.
If you already believe that God makes a good answer for any mystery, then you'll love this book. If you don't, you will see it is just more dishonesty from Strobel.

The Jesus Myth
The Jesus Myth
by G. A. Wells
19 used & new from CDN$ 49.82

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book, Oct. 23 2003
This review is from: The Jesus Myth (Paperback)
This is a good book. It should be noted that the review here by "revtompaine" is actually by Rev. Dr. Gregory S. Neal, from Neal's article entitled, "Who is G. A. Wells", and therefore probably should not be in an amazon.com review.

Fallen
Fallen
Offered by importcds__
Price: CDN$ 6.78
30 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars This CD rocks, Oct. 6 2003
This review is from: Fallen (Audio CD)
Maybe I'm too old for "goth rock". I'm not generally into the whole goth scene and all that. But, if you ignore the videos and just listen to the music, it rocks. Great new band.

Losing Faith in Faith: From Preacher to Atheist
Losing Faith in Faith: From Preacher to Atheist
by Dan Barker
16 used & new from CDN$ 6.85

4.0 out of 5 stars Occasionally simplistic, but overall very good, Sept. 14 2003
Some of the reviewers complain that some of his arguments aren't very scholarly. And, I can agree somewhat. He touches on so many subjects, that he doesn't really delve deeply into any single one. But, I don't think his goal was to try to do a scholarly defense of each of his claims. He was trying to give an overview of many of the arguments against theism, too much depth would probably loose a lot of his intended audience.
Sometimes, I found myself surprised that he acts as if he doesn't know how a theist would answer some of his challenges. Given the fact that he was a preacher for so long, this sometimes seemed strange. But, overall, I'd have to say that the strengths far outweight the negatives. So, 4 out of 5 stars is what I rate it.

Learning C#
Learning C#
by Jesse Liberty
21 used & new from CDN$ 0.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Way to elementary, May 6 2003
This review is from: Learning C# (Paperback)
Perhaps this would be a good book for a first-time programmer, I don't know. But for an experienced programmer, it is way too elementary. The same author has another book that is aimed at experienced programmers. Perhaps that is better. Instead, I got _Professional C#_.

Professional C# 2nd Edition
Professional C# 2nd Edition
by Simon Robinson
24 used & new from CDN$ 0.39

4.0 out of 5 stars I see the reviews are mixed, but I like it so far, May 6 2003
Perhaps I'm writing this prematurely, as I'm not even close to being done with the book. But so far, I've found it to be a good book. I at first got a copy of _Learning C#_, and that was useless, aimed at a first time programmer. So I returned it and got this one.
This book has a lot of useful topics. If some of the later ones aren't that great, oh well, I'll still be happy.
I notice that some readers complain about typos. Usually, that doesn't bother me much--if the explanation is clear, spotting and ignoring typos isn't too hard.

The Blind Watchmaker: Why the Evidence of Evolution Reveals a Universe Without Design
by Richard Dawkins
47 used & new from CDN$ 2.29

4.0 out of 5 stars Read it for yourself..., Nov. 23 2002
I see a lot of people complain about Dawkins' snide remarks about Creationism. And probably he should have left that out, letting the evidence speak for itself. But its not like such comments make up a significant part of the book. The majority of the book is indeed on the subject at hand.
His little biomorph program is indeed contrived. He admits so himself. The idea was to explain concepts, not be any sort of proof. But I could see how someone could argue the point that the biomorph program is so contrived that it could (possibly) be misleading. And for that reason, I think that maybe the discussion of the biomorph program could perhaps have been abridged.
For numerous reasons, including Dawkins' derission of Creationism, I'm sure that Creationists in general will hate it. But yet, I could imagine it being possible for a Creationist to read some of the material, such as the description of how bat sonar works and actually enjoy it. Of course such a reader would find much to not like, but some material could still be interesting regardless of whether you agree with his evolutionary ideas or not.
And one thing that I found interesting is that to me, one hand hand it seemed to provide great evidence for evolution. And yet it simultaneously underscored how evolution could seem so impossible! Ironic...
Good book. Read it for yourself.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Complete Third Season [6 Discs]
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Complete Third Season [6 Discs]
DVD ~ Sarah Michelle Gellar
Offered by M and N Media Canada
Price: CDN$ 53.27
17 used & new from CDN$ 13.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Based on Region 2 DVD set, Nov. 16 2002
There are tons of reviews already, and the product isn't even available! Strangely, they sell Buffy DVD's in England long before they are available here - who knows why. I wonder if the featurettes will be the same in the US edition or not?
Anyway, based on the region 2 set I have, I thought the featurettes and commentaries weren't as good as what came with season 2. Also, I thought the episodes were a bit better in season 2. But don't get me wrong, season 3 was nearly as good. I'd say that in the first few episodes of season 3 I was a little disappointed, but when the Faith story line got going strong, it got better.
And while I really like the Buffy-Angel love tragedy, I will say that it did get a bit redundant: first they were breaking up, then they're not, then they're breaking up again, etc.

Gone with the Wind (Full Screen)
Gone with the Wind (Full Screen)
DVD ~ Clark Gable
Offered by vidco
Price: CDN$ 5.53
13 used & new from CDN$ 5.53

1.0 out of 5 stars Most overrated movie of all time, Sept. 15 2002
Okay, why the heck bother write a bad review of this movie? If you think this is a great classic work, you'll likely think I'm a moron that couldn't understand it. Oh well, so be it. I just happened to watch the movie recently, and I just couldn't stand it.
Early in the movie, Rhett says to Scarlett, in effect, "you and me, baby, we're a pair of lousy people, you're made for me babe!" So why on earth does anybody care to watch nearly four hours of a couple of lousy people doing really lousy things? I seriously don't get it at all!
But Rhett is too hard on himself, he ain't nearly the equal of Scarlett. Four hours of listening to Scarlett whine and cry at the drop of a hat - Christ I needed some earplugs!
I'll have to say, the second hour, involving the burning of Atlanta was the best of the movie. In the first hour, we see Scarlett as a spoiled rich brat entirely unprepared for war. In the second hour, we see her, eventually, pull together some amount of strength. She's kicking and screaming every moment, but she does, finally help deliver the child. And we see Scarlett, just before the intermission, give her famous, "with God as my witness, I'll never grow hungry again." So, I'm thinking, hey, I guess Scarlett is going to stop whinning and bawling every damn second. And I figured Scarlett was going to be transformed into a likable character with her war experience to be her impetis to transformation.
But NOOOoooo, that's not it at all! What we see is Scarlett continue to whine and cry at every instant, only it is now more calculated. Just designed to get try to get her every whim. The entire second half was just unwatchable. Frankly, I don't give a damn about this most lousy, overrated piece of garbage of all time.

Beautifulgarbage
Beautifulgarbage
Price: CDN$ 7.15
40 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Okay, this Garbage ain't Garbage, Sept. 8 2002
This review is from: Beautifulgarbage (Audio CD)
When this CD first came out, I didn't really like it. It is a lot different than the debut or 2.0. So I wrote a review here called "this Garbage is garbage". When they came to town a couple of months ago, I still went - I still thought their songs from the first two CD's were worth seeing in concert. But I was blown away by some of the BeautifulGarbage material - particularly "A Cup of Coffee". So, after the show, I put BeautifulGarbage back in my player, and I see I was really all wrong. Its great. Just don't try to compare it to the first two CD's.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5