Profile for starrider > Reviews

Content by starrider

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

starrider "skeptic" (Seattle)

The Precious Present
The Precious Present
by Spencer Johnson M.D.
Price: CDN$ 16.89
122 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Expensive drivel, Dec 31 2001
This review is from: The Precious Present (Hardcover)
Save your money and read the title, that's the entire message. Trite, and amazing to me that people will pay money for this.

Small Gods
Small Gods
33 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Do the gods make man or does man make the gods or ...., Dec 31 2001
This review is from: Small Gods (Mass Market Paperback)
I've read quite a few of the Pratchett books, mostly at the insistence of my 13 year old son who loves these novels. This ranks right up there among my favorites, and is intriguing for the allusions to so many of the world's religions. The author is clearly well read, and catching these little references produced many aha! moments, I confess that I even lugged home a compendium on world religion to dig out the paralells and little obscure references - and there is alot more to this book than meets the eye. Well, but in the end, I find myself in complete sympathy with the conclusion, and thus a truly satisfying narrative from start to finish. I should add that this approach to reading this book drove my son absolutely crazy, and in fact taken only at face value, no references or allusions the book is still a great read.

Parable of the Sower
Parable of the Sower
by Octavia E. Butler
Price: CDN$ 12.27
39 used & new from CDN$ 6.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Future fiction to disturb your sleep, Dec 31 2001
This review is from: Parable of the Sower (Paperback)
This is a brilliant prophesy of a future America that will not leave the reader resting comfortably. Having read this, I immediately went on read the sequel, Parable of the Talents, which is even more chilling. The genesis of this fiction is here, right now, and something I see nearly every day. The question after reading these books is not will our future look like this, but is this avoidable? There are powerful and astute observations in these - and truth which has haunted me for weeks.