Profile for Micki Suzanne > Reviews

Content by Micki Suzanne

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Micki Suzanne "Author" (South Fort Myers, FL USA)

Getting Them Sober: You Can Help
Getting Them Sober: You Can Help
by Toby Rice Drews
Price: CDN$ 10.87
40 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars This book saved my life., July 18 2002
How unique every situation is. Yet how amazingly SIMILAR.
For years you lavish time, love, effort and money on your alcoholic. Around the time you realize they are truly killing themselves, you may also notice the situation is killing you.
Alanon was a waste of time except for hearing the horror stories of people who had spent whole lives living daily tragedies. This book was the wake-up call I needed. It paints no pretty pictures. It looks at the situation realistically. In fact, it is comforting in it's honesty.
You may stay. You may learn to detach with love. Or you may leave -- hoping they will change before it's too late for your relationship. That's what I did. I left, hopoing he'd seek help. (He didn't.) But I saved myself. And I am so much happier now.
Read this book. At least you will have an honest assessment of your situation as others have lived it. If nothing, it will give you a clearer picture of the issues and help you deal with it -- if continuing to deal with it is what you choose to do.

Awakening the Buddha Within
Awakening the Buddha Within
by Lama Surya Das
33 used & new from CDN$ 0.47

5.0 out of 5 stars OK, yeah, this book changed my life., Dec 18 2001
This is the most important book I've ever bought. I'm on my fifth copy because I keep giving my personal copies away --curling edges, dog-eared pages, underlined passages and all.
I could have saved one full bookshelf if I had found this book four years ago. I could have prevented myself from making many bad life decisions if I had found it thirty years ago.
Save yourself shrink fees ... Buddhism is the basis for effective personal therapy. Save yourself money spent on alcohol and other substances designed to make you numb ... Buddhism can give you a new appreciation for life exactly as it is. Learn to live fully, lovingly, joyously and with compassion for all.
Have peace.
Das is (was) one of us, he knows who we are and how we live and is able to deliver Buddhist basics at a level we can understand. Use this book to enrich your personal spiritual experience, or use it as a tool to help you embrace Buddhism as a way of life.

Awakinging the Budda Within: Eight Steps to Enlightenment: Tibetan Wisdom for the Western World
by Lama Surya Das
Edition: Audio Cassette
13 used & new from CDN$ 46.94

4.0 out of 5 stars A truly meaningful way to spend time., Dec 18 2001
Peace on earth ... there is no greater gift than to help others find internal peace. The book, obviously, is more rich with information, but these tapes are wonderful. I'm buying them for a few friends, especially the ones too busy to sit down with the book.
When I was driving two hours one way to the office, listening to Das helped keep me sane & calm and braced me for the day ahead despite the repeated downsizings we were experiencing. I was able to keep my head while all those around me went wild with stress.
Das has helped me learn the basics of Buddhism. Listening repeatedly to the tapes has helped the principles become a natural part of who I am, helping me respond compassionately to the emotional violence we encounter every day.
When my cousin's teenage daughter is with me, I tune to select pieces for a few moments, then we discuss what we've heard. (I once asked a shrink friend what age was the hardest and he said "every age.")
If everyone chose this path, there WOULD be peace on earth. Blessings ...

Seventy Eight Degrees Wisdom Rev Tp
Seventy Eight Degrees Wisdom Rev Tp
by Rachel Pollack
Price: CDN$ 18.87
23 used & new from CDN$ 2.29

5.0 out of 5 stars This book truly opened a door., Nov. 28 2000
I bought this book when I decided I wanted a more evolved/distinctive explanation of each of the cards and have hardly been able to put it down. I was concerned that the explanations might be too negative, but that wasn't the case. I've started doing readings for myself and others based on what I've learned from Rachel's book and the results have been astounding. I recommend it highly to anyone interested in pursuing this rewarding path.