ARRAY(0xae51abf4)

Profile for Pax Gethen > Reviews

Content by Pax Gethen

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Pax Gethen (San Francisco, CA USA)

Food Revolution
Food Revolution
by John Robbins
50 used & new from CDN$ 0.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Compassion in action, June 9 2004
This review is from: Food Revolution (Paperback)
The Food Revolution is a remarkable book. John Robbins was heir to the Baskin-Robbins ice cream fortune, but turned it down to become a vegan activist. His earlier book Diet for a New America, published in the mid-80s, opened a lot of people's eyes to the horrible conditions animals live in on American "factory" farms. Now even many omnivorous people I've met will not eat veal, for example, and hopefully may come to see foie gras the same way.
When reading both of these books, I at times felt numbed by the large number of statistics, detailing the harmfulness of animal products in the diet, the destruction of the environment caused by factory farming, and the potential dangers of genetically-modified foods. In some ways this was preaching to the choir for me, as I'd been vegetarian and already trying to go vegan for years.
But beyond all of the statistics and doom-and-gloom predictions, there was a stronger message: of compassion. Robbins is one of the very, very few authors who has moved me to tears. I'm hardly a person who never cries, but when I do it's usually because of some petty personal reason (relationship troubles, etc.). But reading his books has showed me not only how wonderful and precious our animal friends are, but how opening up and truly listening to people you may not agree with can be transforming.
I hope more people read his books. Robbins really does cover pretty much all of the reasons why I am a mostly-vegan vegetarian: health, ethical, and environmental, and has plenty of footnote references for validation and further information. Yet despite what he's written, Robbins himself doesn't say that everyone should become a vegan; he states "I don't care whether you call yourself a vegan, a vegetarian, or an asparagus". He just wants to inform people of the issues involved, and hopes that if enough people are convinced, the world (America in particular) will move toward a more plant-centered diet.

The Stars My Destination
The Stars My Destination
by Alfred Bester
23 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Vengeance and imagination, Aug. 8 2003
This is a book of frightening intensity. Bester's imagination was truly boundless. I agree with the writer of the foreword that the original title, "Tiger, Tiger!", was more appropriate to the book's theme and protagonist. If you enjoy this novel, make sure to read Bester's short stories as well.

Changing Planes: Stories
Changing Planes: Stories
by Ursula K Le Guin
Price: CDN$ 22.36
27 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner from Ursula, July 5 2003
You can just tell how much fun Le Guin had writing this book. Many of the stories have an irreverent tone. But many also explore serious themes in a novel way. How would you like to sprout wings and fly? Live without any need for sleep? Be immortal? Explore the downsides. But mostly, just enjoy the ride.

VII (Expanded)
VII (Expanded)
Offered by Fulfillment Express CA
Price: CDN$ 24.72
21 used & new from CDN$ 6.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure pleasure through and through, May 16 2003
This review is from: VII (Expanded) (Audio CD)
This album is amazing. I first borrrowed it from a friend over 15 years ago, and finally bought the CD last week so that I could download it to my new iPod. I love listening to the instrumental tracks, with their varied rhythms and instrumentation. The tracks with vocals are beautiful as well, with feel-good singing and chord changes. A truly memorable album.

This is Spinal Tap (Widescreen) [Import]
This is Spinal Tap (Widescreen) [Import]
DVD ~ Rob Reiner
Offered by Warehouse105
Price: CDN$ 10.54
32 used & new from CDN$ 5.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible humor and value!, Nov. 15 2000
A must-have for anyone who loved the movie. The extra footage is extensive and hilarious. And the movie itself just gets funnier every time I watch it.