Profile for David J. Thompson > Reviews

Content by David J. Thompson

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

David J. Thompson (Napanee, Ontario, Canada)

Page: 1 | 2
Persepolis
Persepolis
Offered by DealsAreUs
Price: CDN$ 8.88
23 used & new from CDN$ 8.87

5.0 out of 5 stars My neice loved it!, Jan. 17 2011
This review is from: Persepolis (DVD)
I bought this DVD for my niece. She's into anime and graphic novels. She had read the novel associated with this film but had never seen the movie itself. Apparently, she really enjoyed it! From what she told me, it's a rather gritty depiction of life in Iran when the Shah fell. Good animation and story. I gave it 5 stars because she was so pleased with it.

Midnight Meat Train (Director's Cut) [Blu-ray]
Midnight Meat Train (Director's Cut) [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Vinnie Jones
Offered by Warehouse105
Price: CDN$ 18.42
6 used & new from CDN$ 18.41

4.0 out of 5 stars Clive Barker says: "BOO!", Dec 30 2010
Well-done shocker...originally a short story from Clive barker's "Books of Blood" which were very popular when they first came out and made him a horror story/novel luminary. I've never read the story in question but I'm quite sure it has the same basic plot-line.

Clive Barker must have been scared by some big guy in a suit when he was a kid: see "the Doctor" in "Cabal" and "the Salesman" in "Weaveworld". now, you have "Mahogany" in this picture. Mahogany doesn't say much but you must admit he has a good work-ethic. The scenes of violence are gruesome but, except for the exploding face(Sam Raimi's brother?), rather understated. The movie is, in many ways, a simple affair with the morale, "don't follow big, hulking butchers around, no matter how guilty you feel about one of his possible victims".

About 2/3 through this film, you have a pretty good idea how it's going to end and it won't be with a music video.

always been fond of Mr. Barker's work so i thought I'd add a film treatment of one of his early stories to my collection. Horror/gore hounds will love it...and probably conspiracy-theorists, too.

PS I did not give it 5 stars because I hate....oh, watch yourself and see!:)

Godfather the Game - Standard Edition
Godfather the Game - Standard Edition
Offered by EntertainmentForLess
Price: CDN$ 13.89
4 used & new from CDN$ 9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A good simulation for fans of the movie saga!, Dec 30 2010
Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This is a good computer game. I just got it today but so far I'm impressed with the graphics and the relative simplicity of game play...but, the only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is its mechanics for saving: checkpoints! Hate 'em! GTA San Andreas has them, too, and it affects the enjoyment. I prefer games where you can save on your own (which you usually have to do often!)...checkpoints are sometimes far apart and your chances of getting killed just when you've about reached one seem high. Aw, well! I guess it adds to the overall challenge and, probably, adds to the fun!

aside from the above complaint, it seems true to the theme and "feel" of the movie. I imagine once I've got used to the dynamics, I find my nit-picking pointless.

The disk came in pristine condition and installed without trouble.

As I said above, fans of the movies should like it. EA makes good games!

Dressed To Kill
Dressed To Kill
Price: CDN$ 6.99
38 used & new from CDN$ 3.07

5.0 out of 5 stars My next-door neighbour loves it!, Dec 23 2010
This review is from: Dressed To Kill (Audio CD)
I ordered it for my 40 yr old next-door neighbour who has become a belated Kiss fan.
He is quite pleased with it! When a teenager, he thought the group was "stupid". he know enjoys them, especially the guitar-work of Ace Frehley.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute, funny and sweet., Dec 18 2010
I bought this for my 23 yr old daughter for Christmas...she really like it! she said it was funny and cute plus a bit old-fashioned. apparently (I've haven't seen it, yet) a young French girl, who is cute as bug's ear, goes around enhancing people's lives. I seem to recall it was well-received by both the public and critics alike.

Dog Soldiers (Widescreen) [Import]
Dog Soldiers (Widescreen) [Import]
Offered by OMydeals
Price: CDN$ 115.89
8 used & new from CDN$ 11.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Dog Soldiers (DVD, widesvreen), Nov. 30 2010
An excellent twist on the werewolf tale! Though obviously made on a tight budget, this film has it all: great actors/acting, action, gallows humour, horror, and one of the better endings I've seen in a film of this genre. Re-view quotient: HIGH!

Page: 1 | 2