ARRAY(0xf704e34)

Profile for Ed Pitoire > Reviews

Content by Ed Pitoire

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Ed Pitoire "Ed" (NB CA)

Aerobie 83R01 AeroPress Coffee and Espresso Maker, Gray
Aerobie 83R01 AeroPress Coffee and Espresso Maker, Gray
Price: CDN$ 29.63
5 used & new from CDN$ 29.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Coffee and very portable, March 17 2014
Very cool device. Be sure to watch Inversion brewing method on youtube Quite portable and great for taking on the road.

Google Nexus 7 FHD Tablet by Asus 2013, 7-Inch, 32 GB, Black
Google Nexus 7 FHD Tablet by Asus 2013, 7-Inch, 32 GB, Black
Price: CDN$ 279.00
20 used & new from CDN$ 279.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive Device, Nov. 21 2013
Quite impressed with the Nexus 7 FHD. Have been using it for 2 weeks now and my only annoyance so far has to do with keyboard and 'soft back button'. While using web browser the 'close' application button is directly under the virtual keyboard's space bar key. I very often hit the soft 'close' button instead of the space bar as the space between the 2 is minimal. You can't re-orientate the device to resolve the issue as the 'soft back button' gets re-orientated as well. This has never happened on my galaxy s3 as the close button is dedicated and the spacing is not an issue. Screen looks great and device plays port of Bard's Tale {HD Port} with no lag. Battery life is excellent {9-10 hours of gaming / movies}.

Ubuntu Linux for Non-Geeks: A Pain-Free, Project-Based, Get-Things-Done Guidebook
by Rickford Grant
22 used & new from CDN$ 3.28

4.0 out of 5 stars Money very well spent, March 22 2007
I never give a five star review..would have given a 4.5.

I am a long time window's user and software professional who had limited experience with Linux world. I needed to get Mono up and running on a linux platform in order to do some RnD.

Ubuntu is getting lots of positive press these days so I picked it as my 'linux flavor'

Positive:

This book got me up to speed in short order. In a matter of a few hours I had Ubuntu installed; playing mp3s; playing mpg/avi; firewall installed; anti virus installed; using Nautilus to access our network; browsing the internet with Firefox; downloaded ftp server's tar ball , compiled and installed it ; modifed video display settings and corrupted system, restored original configuration file and recovered system; got fairly familiar with using the Terminal. Was having so much fun and so proud of myself that I forgot all about Mono. Finally, I got mono running , imported my .Net source code and did some compiling. Nice!

Negative:
---------
The only real negatives are references to software packages that can't be located through the synaptic package manager . For example, the author states that one can install firestarter by using the synaptic package manager. The only problem is that when one attempts to locate the package via synaptic it can't be found. The good news is that the author, in a previous, chapter tells you how to download souce code, build it and install it. I was able to go to firestarter's site, get the source, build it, install it and use it. A very powerful skill!

Final Word:
-----------
Made my life alot easier.

Well written , clear and well planned.
Author does not try to be clever

One needs patience when jumping into the Linux world. This book made me a fan of Ubuntu

The Elements of Java(TM) Style
The Elements of Java(TM) Style
by Allan Vermeulen
Price: CDN$ 16.70
44 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Big little book, June 28 2002
Great quick reference when it doubt/can't remember. Personal coding style is a myth and is also a dangerous practice!
Good section on following java doc standards with handy performance tuning tips.
Expensive...

Joseph Campbell:Power of Myth
Joseph Campbell:Power of Myth
DVD ~ Joseph Campbell
Offered by thebookcommunity_ca
Price: CDN$ 238.86
4 used & new from CDN$ 238.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Food for the soul, March 6 2002
Very entertaining piece of work. I've watched the first DVD at least 4 times and can see watching it many more times over the next decade.
J Campbell posses a knowledge base and a sincerity level that instills trust in the viewer. I feel re-enchanted after each viewing. I wish I had the courage to be a maverik and to find my own bliss! (few more bills to pay)
One of the best media purchases I have ever made.

The Cello Suites: Inspired by Bach
The Cello Suites: Inspired by Bach
Offered by MUSICSHOP780
Price: CDN$ 18.30
17 used & new from CDN$ 9.94

4.0 out of 5 stars Tool for introspection, May 27 2001
I generally quite liked the recording. YYM seems to use the music as a means to find his own spiritual center. His effort was genuine and appreciated. The sound quality of the recording is very sweet and really brings out the quality of the instrument being played.
I was a bit disapointed with the opening movement of the first as I found the tempo a little too quick for my liking. The slower movements sear and at times really pull on the heart strings.
This collection, along with the violin equivalent should be listened too by all who are motivated by mastercraftmanship. Bach is the mastercraftman's mastercraftman.