Profile for Chad Hervig > Reviews

Content by Chad Hervig

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Chad Hervig

Maroon
Maroon
Price: CDN$ 14.88
107 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars It's BNL, make no mistake, Sept. 21 2000
This review is from: Maroon (Audio CD)
I actually won this CD off the radio A WHOLE DAY before it was released to the public, so I was feeling pretty swell about it before I even opened it! I was absolutely enthralled with the first half of the CD right from the start, with the fast tempo and upbeat lyrics found in the first five songs. The second half took me a few "listenings" to get accustomed to, but now some of my favorite songs, such as "Off the Hook" are found there. I own the rest of the BNL collection, and it is true that Maroon, while unmistakenly BNL, does have a slightly different flavor. But just because it's different doesn't mean it's not as good as the other albums. On the contrary, I think each album, including Maroon, contributes a unique picture of the band.

Gordon
Gordon
Price: CDN$ 13.13
69 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars "If I were Jon and you were Yoko", March 30 2000
This review is from: Gordon (Audio CD)
The lyrics and harmony from "Be My Yoko Ono" alone are worth the price of admisssion for this CD. This album has a really honest, unrefined feel to it compared to "Stunt", which I think is a good thing. It's nice to listen to different albums from a single band and get different vibes from each one. "Enid" is also fabulous, and the lyrics are genius as well. I also like "The King of Bedside Manor", because it really showcases the silliness that BNL is capable of. No award winning hot selling lyrics from this song, just plain old silliness. I understand silliness.

The Partner
The Partner
by John Grisham
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
192 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The Partner is a perfect example of why I read Grisham, March 26 2000
Just when I thought I'd read all of Grisham's works, I discovered I had overlooked The Partner. So, more to be able to say "I read all of Grisham's stuff" than anything else, I started reading it. And couldn't stop. I started and finished the book in a day and a half. Very engaging, very exciting. Probably my favorite of Grisham's.

The Testament
The Testament
by John Grisham
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
253 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Different from norm for Grisham, March 26 2000
Before writing this review I took a minute and read some of the others printed here, and found a wide array of opinions. My opinion falls on the "disappointed" side. You know how you start to watch a TV program and by the time you realize it isn't all that great, you're too involved in it to change the channel? That's how I felt with this book. At some point I realized that I wasn't really enjoying it, yet I was just interested enough to finish it. I really enjoyed Grisham's other brief foray into Brazil, in The Partner, and the parts of The Testament which take place in Brazil are also pretty interesting. But the rest of this book is a little belaboured by all the characters the reader has to keep up with, and the underlying story is not at all upbeat. In the end, there is no real vindication, no triumph of good over evil, no huge upset for which Grisham's other novels have come to be known.

Jupiter's Travels : Four Years Around the World on a Triumph
Jupiter's Travels : Four Years Around the World on a Triumph
17 used & new from CDN$ 25.83

3.0 out of 5 stars Not just about motorcycle travel, March 12 2000
I was thrilled by this book. All the way up until about the last 50 pages, anyway. This book is certainly not just a travel log of the author's exploits across the globe. Mr. Simon tries to give the reader an idea of what he was thinking all the way through his journey. I guess his thoughts were getting pretty weird as he neared the end of his journey. At one point in the book, he actually tells the reader that he thought he was God. I didn't buy this book to read about Mr. Simon's thought on God and all things divine. I wanted to hear about all of his adventures, the people he encounters, the challenges, his attempts to avoid highway robbers, or prison, or both. This book provides all those things with aplomb. Unfortunately for me anyway, it also includes what I think was unnecessary, unrelated, philosophy. A book like this should have a happy ending, and leave the reader bursting with desire to hit the road and get lost in the world. When I finished this book I felt sorry for the author and wished him good luck with all his problems. In short, the book was really good, but it would have been much better if the last 50 pages had been left out altogether.

Stunt
Stunt
Price: CDN$ 14.57
140 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars BNL is the Penultimate musical group, Feb. 22 2000
This review is from: Stunt (Audio CD)
I saw the Stunt tour in SLC in August 99, and had the priviledge of attending their Preshow. Kevin had gotten ill and gone home that day and the rest of the band was considering cancelling the show. They decided to do the show, and it was incredible, even without keyboards. These guys are genuine. We sat for a couple hours during the preshow and watched them re-choregraph the show without Kevin. They were bummed about Kevin, but worked hard to ensure the ticketholders got their money's worth, and I know I did. Incredible performance. BNL is one of precious few bands who actually sound better live. Their Stunt album is by far their finest to date. Perfect concert music!

Nasty Little Thoughts
Nasty Little Thoughts
Price: CDN$ 14.97
51 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Stroke 9/ Stroke of Genius!, Feb. 22 2000
This review is from: Nasty Little Thoughts (Audio CD)
I borrowed this CD from my sister, and loved it from the first song! I went out and bought it that day, and haven't stopped listening to it since. Very clever lyrics in their songs. Nice licks in every song as well! I'm hooked. Give me more!