ARRAY(0xa72475c4)

Profile for D. Keating > Reviews

Content by D. Keating

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

D. Keating (Bristow, VA United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
The Wonderful Spirit Filled Life
The Wonderful Spirit Filled Life
by Dr. Charles F. Stanley
91 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Very informative book about God's Holy Spirit, June 26 2001
I bought this book for two main reasons. First, I want to know more about the Holy Spirit, and the role it has in my Christian walk. Second, I have heard Charles Stanley preach before, and he seems like a reliable source for helping further my Christian development. This book confirmed both my reasons.
In his book Dr. Stanley does an outstanding job of explaining how the Holy Spirit works in our lives. Although I do not agree with all of his conclusions about the Holy Spirit (most specifically when he talks about the limited availability of speaking in tongues for all Christians), overall, I think this book is right on target. Whether you are a new Christian, or have walked with God for years, I think that this book can help bring new light to a subject that is often misunderstood.
Using a lot of scriptures, and his extensive research on the subject, Dr. Stanley has greatly increased my understanding of the Holy Spirit. I liked the book because he offers a lot of practical advice about seeking God's Holy Spirit. I really enjoyed the fact that Dr. Stanley shares his own struggle with grasping everything that the Holy Spirit has to offer us as Christians. I think that many Christian leaders in his position would perhaps be too proud to discuss their own journey towards a greater understanding of God's spirit. Lastly, I think that this book has helped further my quest for knowledge about the Holy Spirit. Dr. Stanley includes a list of the resources he used while writing the book, at the end of each chapter which will serve as an excellent guide for me in the future.
I highly recommend this book to any believer who is wanting to learn more about the Holy Spirit. If you are like me, you want to learn the truth from a reliable source. I think this book will meet your need, if that is your desire.

Lee and His Generals in War and Memory
Lee and His Generals in War and Memory
by Gary W. Gallagher
19 used & new from CDN$ 1.44

4.0 out of 5 stars Insightful essays about Lee and his subordinates, June 23 2001
I bought this book based on the fact that I consider Gary Gallagher one of the premiere Civil War historians today. Luckily, he did not disappoint me with this effort. Through a series of 13 essays, Dr. Gallagher takes a detailed look at General Lee and his subordinates performance during the Civil War, and how they have been portrayed by historians. More speficially, he details how the "Lost Cause" writers created some of the myth and legends about the South's best and worst leaders. Additionally, he looks at more recent works (both books and video) about the Civil War, and whether or not these historians bring a more balanced and better pespective on the war.
I really enjoyed this book because it offers so much fresh material on many popular Civil War leaders, and topics (like Ken Burns video collection). Also, I think that Gary Gallagher brings a very balanced approach to his research and analysis. In other words, I trust his opinion because he always supports his thoughts with detailed research from the latest sources available. Therefore, he can successfully weave together both the battles and politics of the war, and paint accurate pictures of the Southern leaders discussed in this book.
I highly recommend this book to anyone who has a fundamental understanding of the Civil War, and is looking for resources to develop a deeper analysis of this complex war. Learn from someone who is at the forefront of current research, and willing to put in the extra time and effort to get the story right.

How to Read a Christian Book
How to Read a Christian Book
by David L. McKenna
19 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Book meets is designed purpose, June 17 2001
I bought this book for one main reason- as a resource to help me decide which Christian books to buy in the future. As a Christian, there are almost an infinite number of books available these days. Some are good, some are great, and others are not worth the time or effort required to read them. The problem is deciding which ones to read, and/or which ones to buy to build a library of "Great Christian books". This book is specifically designed to help readers make the right choices.
The book is a quick read, and has a few sections that are slightly boring. But, more importantly, it contains a comprehensive list of book recommendations for Christians. The book is worth the money for these lists alone. Additionally, the author has put together a suggested three-year reading program which I plan on starting soon. It has books from a wide variety of Christian subjects, that builds on many concepts over the three year period (foundation books the first year, more complex books the following years).
I highly recommend this book for any Christian looking for a way to put together a quality reading program. If you are like me, you get overwhelmed by choices at most Christian bookstores. Luckily, this book can help you focus on quality books which will help enhance your Christian experience and development.

Multnomah Publishers The Prayer Of Jabez: Breaking Through To The Blessed Life
Multnomah Publishers The Prayer Of Jabez: Breaking Through To The Blessed Life
by Bruce H. Wilkinson
197 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Powerful Book, June 14 2001
I bought this book because of all the attention it has gained in the Christian community. I am glad that I did--it is wonderful. By using a rather obscure passage from the Old Testament, the author makes some profound insights into the ways we should pray. Simply put, he challenges the Christian community to raise our expectation of prayer and blessings from God. I think that he is absolutely correct on both topics.
One concern I had about the book was the issue of praying for abundance. Luckily, the author "hit the nail on the head" with this topic by focusing on what God wants to bless us with instead of what we want from God. After all, if we put our faith in God, shouldn't we trust his judgement when it comes to his blessing our lives. I think that prosperity is one of the most misunderstood topics in the Christian community today, and hopefully this book will help solve that problem.
This book is short, so I recommend reading the entire thing in one sitting if you have the chance. As far as format goes, the book is kind of like reading a sermon. First the author identifies the text, then makes four main points based on the text. He reinforces his message with examples from his own Christian experience.
I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in drawing closer to God, and learning more about prayer. Even if you have walked with Jesus for years, this book may give you a new insight, or different perspective about your prayer life.

Ghost Soldiers: The Forgotten Epic Story of World War II's Most Dramatic Mission
by Hampton Sides
Price: CDN$ 25.20
76 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A gripping account of WWII POW rescue mission, June 13 2001
I really learned a lot of things I did not know about WWII when I read this book. A relative gave it to me as a gift since military history is one of my favorite subjects. Before reading this book, I have not spent much time learning about the pacific theatre. I have always thought that the European part of WWII much more interesting. This book has completely changed my perspective.
The book focuses on the surrender of the Phillipines to the Imperiel Japanes Army, the treatment of allied POWs by the Japanese, and subsequent rescue mission by US Army Rangers. All three topics make for fascinating, eye-opening discovery. The author uses a lot of personal accounts and quotes from soldiers who lived through this saga, which adds an element of realism that I have not found in many other books. This technique drew me into the story and gave me a whole new perspective about what happened to these soldiers. Your heart will ache when you learn about the treatment of the POWs, and leap with joy during the rescue mission portion.
I highly recommend this book to anyone looking for a unique story from WWII. This book is not a dry, boring history book. Instead it tells the sad story of what happened to our soldiers in the Phillipines during WWII, and the inspiring story of the men who rescued them. The fact that any of the POWs survived their ordeal is a miracle, and the story of how the US Army rangers completed this "mission impossible" is fascinating. For anyone currently serving in the military, get it and read it. It will give you a whole new appreciation of those who have gone before us (some paying the ultimaye price), and motivate you to do well the duty that lies before you.

Citizen Soldiers: The U S Army from the Normandy Beaches to the Bulge to the Surrender of Germany
by Stephen E. Ambrose
Price: CDN$ 14.43
94 used & new from CDN$ 0.09

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping Account of Soldiers' WWII Experiences, June 4 2001
This is the first Stephen Ambrose book I have read, and I throughly enjoyed it. The book describes WWII in Europe from a soldier's point of view. Ambrose does a wonderful job weaving the personal stories of soldiers who experienced combat in Europe during WWII, to tell the tale of how the Allies won the war. Unlike other books focus mainly on telling the overall story of WWII (the Operations, plans, tactics, and strategy from the General officer level), this book aims to give the reader a glimpse of what is was like to actually fight the war. My admiration and respect for the WWII generation continues to grow, the more I read about it.
I recommend this book for anyone who is interested in WWII, especially if you are looking for details about how the soldiers lived, fought, and died in the major battles that followed D-Day. You will not be disappointed.

Bridge Too Far
Bridge Too Far
2 used & new from CDN$ 15.12

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping account of Operation Market Garden, May 29 2001
This review is from: Bridge Too Far (VHS Tape)
A Bridge Too Far is one of my favorite war movies, and books of all time. The book is a classic, which you should read if you have not done so before watching the film.
The film is long (almost 3 hours), but well worth it. I have seen it more than a few times, and always enjoy watching it. I particularly like the Airborne drop and combat scenes. All which leave me wondering how they actually filmed some of them. The cast is full of all-stars with the likes of Anthony Hopkins, Robert Redford, Sean Connery, James Caan. The list of great actors just goes on and on.
The film does a good job of telling the tragic tale of Operation Market Garden, the largest Airborne operation ever. The plan is bold, which is a surprise in itself since General Montgomery was considered to be one of the more conservative well known commanders from WWII. As you watch the movie, you start to wonder how could they have been so wrong. Of course, hindsight is 20/20, and you have to realize that this operation was to be the final punch to put Germany out of the war. Unfortunately, things did not go as planned. And, in the end, the goal of reaching the Arnhem bridge is never achieved, and the British Airborne Division pays the ultimate price for the plan's failure.
The book does a better job telling the stories of individual soldiers involved in the battle. But, the movie does an excellnet job of keeping the viewer in the action, and aware of what happened when, during the fight. Especially considering, the action took place at three different areas all at the same time.
I highly recommend this movie to anyone interested in WWII, war movies, combat leadership, or airborne operations. I also recommend watching the movie on a large screen TV if you can.

Finding Forrester
Finding Forrester
5 used & new from CDN$ 12.87

5.0 out of 5 stars A Nice Surprise, May 14 2001
This review is from: Finding Forrester (VHS Tape)
I rented this video mainly because of Sean Connery. I was pleasantly surprised: this is a great movie. It is somewhat similar to Good Will Hunting, but I found this plot more interesting, and less predictable.
The storyline basically follows the bond that forms between the two main characters. I think that the stark contrast between these two(old white reclusive man vs. young black charismatic boy) really adds an intesting angle to the story. The idea that two very different people can build a relatioship from a common passion (in this case writing) is a fascinating idea.
I also like the fact that the films does get into racial issues (stereotypes, mixed race couples, athletes and academics), but they do not form the nucleus of the plot. Instead, the film focuses more on what it becomes to become great in one's passion, and the risk required to develop a relationship with someone who isn't like you. The director does a great job weaving these two concepts together throughout the story.
I definitely recommend this movie to anyone who enjoyed Good Will Hunting. Also, if you are looking for a great movie that you might have missed while it was in the theatres- this is probably one of those.

The Cutting Edge
The Cutting Edge
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 13.95
12 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Modern Christian Worship Band, May 7 2001
This review is from: The Cutting Edge (Audio CD)
Simply put, this album is a great example of a modern worship band's ability to make great music. I have spent several years searching for Christian bands that can play music that appeals to me. Raised on alternative rock music, for years I considered Christian music weak. Delirious is one of the bands that has changed my mind.
I really like this album because it has so many strong songs, and a wide range of music from the band. I do not like every single song on both discs, but I am very impressed with the overall album. Songs like "I found Jesus", "The Happy Song", "I Could Sing of Your Love Forever", and "What is this thing called love?" really opened my eyes about modern Christian music.
I highly recommend this album to any Deliriuous fan, or anyone looking for a Christian band that is making great music these days. If you have never bought a Christian album before, take a chance with this one. It just may surprise you.

Where Eagles Dare
Where Eagles Dare

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic WWII spy tale, May 7 2001
This review is from: Where Eagles Dare (VHS Tape)
Where Eagles Dare is a classic WWII spy movie. Although it was filmed back in the late 60s, the film is still entertaining today. With two big stars like Richard Burton, and Clint Eastwood, it keeps viewers entertained throughout. The plot is a little far fetched, and the movie takes awhile to get going, but overall it is an enjoyable film.
I recommend this movie to any WWII film fan. I had never seen it and rented it by chance. Glad that I made the choice, and so will you.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13