Profile for Mark Anderson > Reviews

Content by Mark Anderson
Top Reviewer Ranking: 28

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Mark Anderson (Victoria, BC, Canada)
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Shake Sugaree
Shake Sugaree
Price: CDN$ 17.89
19 used & new from CDN$ 13.54

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Guitar Playing From A Little Known, Yet Influential, Folk Blues Player, March 27 2014
This review is from: Shake Sugaree (Audio CD)
For those not familiar with the name Elizabeth Cotten (1895-1987) she was a North Carolina native who taught herself guitar and banjo at an early age and later became a well known player of American folk blues (well known, at least, in the circles of those who started the folk revival of the late 1950s and early 1960s) in the days before the music became popular with mainstream audiences.

She has been cited as an influence by Bob Dylan, among others.

This material on this album was recorded in New Jersey in 1964 and 1965 by Folkways Records, now a part of the Smithsonian. The album is 26 tracks clocking in a just over 60 minutes playing time and features some of Cotten's best known material. The recording is well done and the sound is good, particularly on the guitar.

Elizabeth Cotton had a very interesting guitar style and the reasons her playing was considered quite influential by the 1950s and 1960s generation of folk players is quite evident when you hear her playing.

Many of these tracks are instrumentals with Elizabeth Cotton on guitar or banjo. Cotten's vocals on this recording are a bit shaky; she was 70 years old when these tracks were recorded and her voice shows its age. The title track, Shake Sugaree, is sung by Cotten's grand daughter, who had a decent voice.

If you like traditional acoustic folk and blues guitar, this is an album that is worth your attention, particularly if you are a guitar player. Elizabeth Cotton had a very interesting guitar style and her playing comes across well on this recording. If you like her guitar style, there's a DVD guitar instructional video on her guitar playing style available through Amazon.

The liner notes in this CD have some good information for guitar players, including the alternate tunings Cotten uses on some of these tracks and the fact that her main guitar was a Martin D-18.

Elizabeth Cotten is not a well known name these days, but she was an influential guitar player during the 1950s and 1960s folk revival and her playing is well worth listening to if you like traditional acoustic folk blues. This CD is a good introduction to her music.

Family Circle
Family Circle
Price: CDN$ 13.99
17 used & new from CDN$ 5.83

5.0 out of 5 stars First Rate Bluegrass Album By One Of The Leading Contemporary Bluegrass Bands, March 25 2014
This review is from: Family Circle (Audio CD)
I'm not a huge fan of country music so I hadn't heard of the Del McCoury Band until about a year ago, when I saw a PBS program of a concert featuring musicians who had appeared on the soundtrack of the movie Brother Where Art Thou. I was very impressed with the Del McCoury Band's performance in this concert so I started checking out their music.

As an introduction to the Del McCoury Band I bought Mountain, their collaboration with Steve Earle. That was/is an excellent CD; I've rated it as five stars on Amazon.

I really liked their collaboration with Steve Earle so I started checking out the Del McCoury Band's other releases. So far I've bought three DEl McCoury Band CDs, including this one. The other two I've bought (and recommend) are A Deeper Shade Of Blue and The Company We Keep.

This is an excellent CD of first rate bluegrass by one of the leading contemporary bluegrass bands. The musicianship is superb and the music is great. If you like bluegrass, this CD is well worth your attention.

A Deeper Shade Of Blue
A Deeper Shade Of Blue
Price: CDN$ 17.21
20 used & new from CDN$ 14.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Bluegrass CD By One Of The Leading Contemporary Bluegrass Bands, March 25 2014
This review is from: A Deeper Shade Of Blue (Audio CD)

I really liked their collaboration with Steve Earle so I started checking out the Del McCoury Band's other releases. So far I've bought three DEl McCoury Band CDs, including this one. The other two I've bought (and recommend) are Company We Keep and Family Circle.

Company We Keep
Company We Keep
Price: CDN$ 19.43
20 used & new from CDN$ 7.19

5.0 out of 5 stars First Rate Bluegrass Album, March 25 2014
This review is from: Company We Keep (Audio CD)

I really liked their collaboration with Steve Earle so I started checking out the Del McCoury Band's other releases. So far I've bought three DEl McCoury Band CDs, including this one. The other two I've bought (and recommend) are A Deeper Shade Of Blue and Family Circle.

Angels And Saints At Ephesus
Angels And Saints At Ephesus
Price: CDN$ 13.38
39 used & new from CDN$ 9.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent CD Of Catholic Choral Music, March 25 2014
Several months ago the Benedictines of Mary CD Advent of Ephesus came up as an Amazon recommendation after I ordered a CD of Gregorian Chant by the Benedictine Monks of Clervaux (it's called Salve Regina - an excellent CD by the way). The Advent at Ephesus CD recommendation looked interesting so I ordered it without having heard it or without knowing anything about the Benedictines of Mary, Queen of Apostles.

It turned out to be an excellent CD; I've given it a five star review on Amazon. After hearing Advent At Ephesus I bought this CD by the Benedictines of Mary.

This also turned out to be an excellent CD of Catholic choral music by a very talented choir of nuns. It's all vocal with no instrumental accompaniment.

If you like Catholic choral music, this is a CD that is well worth your attention. Highly recommended.

Solomon
Solomon
Price: CDN$ 25.09
30 used & new from CDN$ 12.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Recording By Sir John Elliot Gardiner Of This Handel Oratorio, March 16 2014
This review is from: Solomon (Audio CD)
I recently watched Sir David Starkey's BBC documentary on Music and the Monarchy, which covers this influence the English, and later the British, monarchy has had on the development of English and British music. Very good documentary, by the way; I've ordered my own copy through Amazon.

Starkey's documentary spends a lot of time dealing with Georg Friedrich Handel and his influence on British music. I've enjoyed Handel's music for decades but I've somehow managed to overlook most of his oratorios, with the exception of the best known Handel oratorio, the Messiah. After watching Starkey's documentary, I'm now exploring Handel's other oratorios, which I'm not overly familiar with.

I decided to start with Solomon and ordered this version by Sir John Elliot Gardiner, since I have Gardiner's complete recording of Handel's Messiah and it's my favourite version of the Messiah.

This recording is excellent. Gardiner's interpretation of this oratorio is first rate, the performances of the vocalists and musicians are excellent and the sound recording is very well done.

The Messiah is Handel's best known oratorio and seems to overshadow Handel's other oratorios. If you're not familiar with this music, I'd suggest that if you like Handel's Messiah, you'll like this.

After hearing this CD, I'll be ordering more of Sir John Elliot Gardiner's recordings of Handel's oratorios as I explore this brilliant music further.

Buscando Mi Voz
Buscando Mi Voz
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 140.95
3 used & new from CDN$ 116.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Album By Jesse Cook Sideman - But Only 38 Minutes Of Music On It, March 9 2014
This review is from: Buscando Mi Voz (Audio CD)
Nicholas Hernandez is probably best known as the second guitar player in Jesse Cook's band. He's a very accomplished guitarist.

I recently went to a Jesse Cook concert and I bought this CD at the venue.

It's a very good CD of instrumental guitar music. It's somewhat similar to Jesse Cook's music, which hardly surprising since Hernandez plays in Jesse Cook's band. Also, Jesse Cook and other members of Jesse Cook's band play on this CD.

The recording quality is excellent and the music on the CD is very good, but there's only 38 minutes of it. Nicholas Hernandez is a very talented guitarist and I'm sure he would have little difficulty coming up with some more high quality instrumental guitar tracks to fill up more of the remaining time on a CD. Nicholas, just a suggestion from a fan - please put more than 38 minutes of music on the next album.

Where There`s A Will There`s A Way The
Where There`s A Will There`s A Way The
Offered by nagiry
Price: CDN$ 19.32
6 used & new from CDN$ 19.32

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Compilation Of Two Bobby Whitlock Albums From 1972, March 8 2014
For those unfamiliar with the name Bobby Whitlock, he's probably best known as the keyboard player in Derek and the Dominoes, which released one of the all time classic albums, Layla and Other Assorted Love Stories, in 1971.

This CD features two albums by Bobby Whitlock released on the ABC Dunhill label in 1972: Bobby Whitlock and Raw Velvet.

There is a lot of very good material here. Supporting musicians include Eric Clapton, George Harrison, Klaus Voorman (on bass; you'll see his name on a lot of 1970s album credits), Carl Radle (who also appeared on a lot of 1970s Eric Clapton albums), Jim Gordon (drummer with Derek and the Dominoes, among others; Gordon was a leading session player) Bonnie and Delaney Bramlett, Jim Keltner among others.

Producers were Andy Johns on Bobby Whitlock and Jimmy Miller (he also produced the Rolling Stones' Exile On Main Street) on Raw Velvet.

There is some very good material on this release. I'm surprised it took so long for these albums to be released on CD.

If you liked early 1970s albums by Derek and the Dominoes, Eric Clapton, Delaney and Bonnie and other musicians in that grouping that seemed to circulate around Eric Clapton in the early 1970s, you might want to check out this album.

American Gun Unabridged CD: A History Of The U.S. In Ten Firearms
American Gun Unabridged CD: A History Of The U.S. In Ten Firearms
by Chris Kyle
Edition: Audio CD
Price: CDN$ 20.78
15 used & new from CDN$ 11.07

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Popular History Audiobook On 10 Firearms And Their Influence On US History, March 7 2014
Chris Kyle was a former US Navy Seal sniper so his popular history of 10 firearms and the role they played in US history comes from an interesting perspective.

Kyle has selected 10 firearms used over the course of US history and examined the guns, their history and the influence those guns have had on US history. Admittedly this is popular history rather than an academic work, but Kyle has some very interesting insights on the individual firearms and their effects on US history.

I bought the audiobook version of this title. It's well done; the book is written in a conversational style that adapts well to narration, the reader has a good narration style and does a good job with the material.

Overall, an interesting book. And the audiobook version is well done.

Giovanni Bononcini: San Nicola di Bari
Giovanni Bononcini: San Nicola di Bari
Price: CDN$ 22.72
16 used & new from CDN$ 15.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Recording Of A Little Known Oratorio By An Overlooked Baroque Composer, March 5 2014
I discovered the music of Giovanni Bononcini (1670-1747) a few months ago when I borrowed a CD of his Cantate da Camera from my local public library's music collection. Prior to finding that CD, I hadn't heard of Bononcini but I liked the Cantata da Camera so much (I've rated it as 5 stars on Amazon) that I bought my own copy of the CD and started looking for other recordings of Bononcini's work.

This is the second CD of Giovanni Bononcini's work that I've purchased. It's an Oratorio for 4 Voices first performed in Italy circa 1693-97. The music and libretto are excellent, as is the performance on this CD. This performance was recorded in 2008, the recording is well done and the total playing time is just over 81 minutes. There's also a very good booklet included which features bios of the artists, a brief history of Bononcini and the librettist Stampiglia and a multi language translation of the libretto.

Overall, an excellent CD of baroque vocal music. Highly recommended. After having heard this recording and Bononcini's Cantate da Camera, I'll be exploring more of Bononcini's work.

One suggestion for those not familiar with Giovanni Bononcini; if you're exploring this music on a limited budget, I would suggest buying the Cantate da Camera CD on the Tactus label by the Ensemble Aurora as your first Bononcini purchase, and then, if you like the Cantate da Camera, buy this one. Both are excellent recordings and I recommend both, but my personal preference between the two leans toward the Cantate da Camera.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20