Profile for R. Koett > Reviews

Content by R. Koett

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

R. Koett

Bug-a-salt
Bug-a-salt
Offered by everyCasa -ca
Price: CDN$ 48.99
14 used & new from CDN$ 48.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Range and power less than expected, June 29 2013
Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars :3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Bug-a-salt (Tools & Hardware)
The marketing materials describe this toy as capable of killing flies up to around 3 feet away. In fact it's not capable of actually killing anything unless at very close range. Even at a range of about 18 inches the most it does is send the fly tumbling. With a perfectly aimed shot you might knock a big fly down and then deliver a coup de grâce by some other means, but I don't think it's capable of actually killing a big fly. I also tested with very coarse grained pickling salt. If you shoot against a piece of aluminum foil you can clearly see the shot pattern. Coarse salt makes deeper impressions in the foil, but they are far fewer and more sparse, so it would probably have more killing power but the chance of getting a direct hit would go down.

Overall this toy is still fun to use, and its quite well made, but for $43.99 I don't think it lives up to expectations. It needs to have double or triple the power to effectively kill flies.

Plantronics M50, Bluetooth Headset Retail Packaging, Black
Plantronics M50, Bluetooth Headset Retail Packaging, Black

5.0 out of 5 stars After trying many different headsets, I'm pleased with this one., Jan. 30 2012
I've owned about 8 or 9 Bluetooth headsets over the years. It's surprising how much they vary in terms of how easy they are to use and what they can actually do. The Plantronics M50 is the first model I've owned that hasn't been missing some (in my opinion) important feature, or hasn't had something about it I found irritating.

To begin with, I'll discuss comfort. I've had headsets that were so comfortable to wear I would literally forget that I had them on. I've had others that, despite otherwise great features, I eventually dumped because I couldn't wear them without discomfort. This is largely a personal issue, but I've yet to be able to stand any design that significantly penetrates into the ear canal. I've learned to look for two things: First, adjustable or switcheable over-the-ear loops, so one can find an optimum fit. Second, a design that presses against the ear, rather than protruding into it. The Plantronics M50 falls sort of in between these two. The over-the-ear loop is not designed to be adjustable, but I was able to increase my comfort level by gently heating the loop with a blow dryer for a minute and bending it to open just a little wider. The earbud itself doesn't squeeze into the ear, but does have a small protrusion that extends slightly into the ear canal. I cut this rubber protrusion about 3mm shorter. The end result for me is the most comfortable fit I've experienced to date. I can wear this headset for hours without the slightest irritation.

Another feature I look for is good volume. I'm over 50, and my hearing is not what it used to be. This unit delivers ample volume for me, even in rather noisy environments.

Other things I like: It can stream music or podcasts from my iPhone. Generally this is only possible with stereo headsets (or specifically, ones that support "A2DP"). It has a simple slide-switch for turning on. It provides status information through voice. It can redial by double-clicking, and I can activate voice dial on it without having to touch my phone. It displays a battery level icon on my iPhone - the first headset I've ever owned that did that. Lastly, if I leave my iPhone on my desk or somewhere and walk away, it tells me when I've moved out of range. Nice to know, but even nicer is that it automatically reconnects when I walk back into range. I've never had that happen with other headsets.

Overall I must say I am extremely pleased with the Plantronics M50. It provides all the features I look for, and costs much less than some headsets I've tried.

Planet Earth: The Complete Series [Blu-ray]
Planet Earth: The Complete Series [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ David Attenborough
Price: CDN$ 92.08
32 used & new from CDN$ 31.75

3.0 out of 5 stars This Version is Missing Content!, Feb. 12 2008
A friend of mine showed me this series on DVD. I was so impressed I couldn't wait to purchase the Blu-Ray version and watch it at 1080p resolution. It turns out that not every scene is filmed in high definition, which is understandable given the conditions of some of the filming. What REALLY disappointed me about this version, however, is that much of the content is missing! The DVD version has a short documentary piece after each section that shows how the filming was done. This is actually some of the most interesting content. It's incredible, for example, how many days a photographer spent hiding in a blind to film a rare bird in the Amazon. When I got the Blu-Ray set I searched and searched but all this "making of" content is not included!