Profile for JulianF > Reviews

Content by JulianF

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

JulianF

11/22/63: A Novel
11/22/63: A Novel
by Stephen King
16 used & new from CDN$ 7.49

4.0 out of 5 stars 11/22/63, Dec 4 2011
This review is from: 11/22/63: A Novel (Hardcover)
I am a fan of Stephen Kings. A Constant Reader if you will. However I do admit to enjoying some of his books more than others. This book, 11/22/63 is one of those books. I began reading with no expectations and was delighted. I found myself engaged by the characters and the lived world of the people in the story. I was curious about how the story would end but not so much that I wanted to skip to the end. This is one of his best books. Like the main character I learned about this time period in my history class in high school and now I am curious to know more. If you have a teenager who is not really a reader and has a history project this book might spark his/her imagination. It did mine. I definitely recommend this book - even to non-fans. The supernatural element is minimal, secondary even. I actually cried a little at the end (and not over the assassination or time travel). Won't give away the plot. ;-)

Case Histories
Case Histories
Price: CDN$ 39.74
19 used & new from CDN$ 27.64

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever, tricky, and entertaining, Nov. 1 2011
This review is from: Case Histories (DVD)
Case histories is the British murder/mystery TV series for the 21st Century. It interweaves a number of seemly separate stories (and some are) in an original and interesting way. It has a distinctly British feel to the storyline as it moves carefully through the plot (not the guns-out-blazing American type). If you like visuals with the story, you will love the scenery of Edinburgh and Scotland.
The lead character is flawed enough to be human but not too much so that he is not likeable. He is oddly kind and gruff at the same time. I particularly like that he goes out running and then lights up a cigarette. He is simultaneously optimistic and self-destructive. He has survived tradegy in his childhood and he is sympathetic to others going through similar issues. If you like British mystery series such as New Tricks New Tricks: Season Five or Sherlock HolmesSherlock: Season One you will like this series. I like that underneath it all he is one of the GOOD guys!

ESSENTIALS OF QUALITATIVE INQUIRY
ESSENTIALS OF QUALITATIVE INQUIRY
by Maria J Mayan
21 used & new from CDN$ 25.14

5.0 out of 5 stars My go-to book for qualitative research., Oct. 24 2011
This is my go-to book for qualitative research. Maria Mayan makes qualitative research understandable and accessible. I go back to this book over and over to make sure I am on the right track. This is an essential bookshelf asset for the novice researcher. Mayan discusses the importance of congruence between each component when conducting qualitative research. She has organized the book really well and each chapter clearly states it's focus. She takes the reader through method, research question and sampling, data collection, data analysis, rigor, proposal writing, the ethics board, and writing and reflexivity. However why I really LOVED this book is that in the appendices she provides examples of a transcription from an interview, an example of field notes, and a document analysis template. I use this book along with Munhall (Nursing Research: A Qualitative Perspective) to help with my qualitative research studies.

Mary Seacole: The Black Woman Who Invented Modern Nursing
Mary Seacole: The Black Woman Who Invented Modern Nursing
by Jane Robinson
Price: CDN$ 25.20
12 used & new from CDN$ 5.14

5.0 out of 5 stars Eye opening!, Oct. 24 2011
I first found this book in my local library. I enjoyed it so much I bought it from Amazon. Mary Seacole was a nurse who cared for soldiers in Crimean War. Sound familiar? Yes - the famous nurse we think of when we hear the words 'nurse' and 'Crimean War' is Florence Nightingale (Notes on Nursing: What It Is, and What It Is Not). Yet Mary Seacole was as well-known as Nightingale at that time. So what happened? Why is her name not in our history books? This book narrates the story of Mary's life and her nursing career. She is an amazing woman and inspirational. The book is well written and I looked forward to reading the next chapter in her life. On a deeper level it speaks to post-colonialism in our history.

Nursing Research: A Qualitative Perspective
Nursing Research: A Qualitative Perspective
by Patricia L. Munhall
30 used & new from CDN$ 3.42

4.0 out of 5 stars Passionate! and value for money!, Oct. 24 2011
Who said research has to be dry. This book helps the novice qualitative researcher gain understanding into qualitative epistemology (knowledge) and methods. The book introduces the reader to phenomenological research, grounded theory, ethnography, case study, historical research, narrative inquiry, and action research. Munhall uses exemplars (actual research study examples) to illustrate her descriptions. She discusses the importance of qualitative research in evidence-based nursing. And in conclusion, she provides a generalized format for a research proposal. I bought this book for my Masters degree and it was worth every cent. Like qualitative research it was rich with description and meaningful. I would recommend this book for any nurse (or other health-care professional) interested in qualitative research.

Left Neglected
Left Neglected
by Lisa Genova
Price: CDN$ 12.27
109 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Left Neglected - insightful and meaningful, Oct. 24 2011
This review is from: Left Neglected (Paperback)
This book was un-put-downable. As a middle aged woman, who struggles to manage career, home, and life, this book touched me. However it was the writer's incredibly descriptive and insightful narrative that brought the reality of this condition to life. The information presented was well researched and accurate, yet the personal day by day lived experience of the protagonist made it real. I loved this book and would highly recommend it.