Profile for Review Monster > Reviews

Content by Review Monster

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Review Monster

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
Taco Titan: The Glen Bell Story
Taco Titan: The Glen Bell Story
by Debra Lee Baldwin
15 used & new from CDN$ 17.69

5.0 out of 5 stars A great role model!, April 8 2003
When I was developing my business plan for my brokerage firm, I looked up various autobigraphies of others in the financial industry to get inside their head. One day I stumbled across this book. I was not convinced by the cover to read it, but I grabbed it anyway. Boy was I NOT disappointed!
From reading Glen Bell's story I discovered a lot of trivia about the taco business, like Glen Bell's invention of the taco ;)
But more importantly I took away five guiding points for my life and more importantly for my business.
1. Stay ultimately focused on your vision.
2. Keep expanding on your vision, as you grow so should it.
3. Don't be afraid to scream from the rooftops by promoting your business big.
4. Never let a little thing like money get in your way.
5. Those that can't see your vision, needn't be in your vision.
Great book for entrepreneurs who think they have it bad and can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, its there, Glen Bell proves it.

Rounders (Widescreen) [Import]
Rounders (Widescreen) [Import]
DVD ~ Matt Damon
Offered by WC Mediatec
Price: CDN$ 4.60
35 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Some of the greatest minds play poker!, April 8 2003
It is a fairly well known fact that Warren Buffet and Bill Gates both enjoy poker as a past time. Of all of the gambling games, poker tends to be a thinking man's game. Matt Damon and Edward Norton prove that in this film. The core of the plot, a man conflicted by what he should do versus what he wants to do, is clearly shown in this film. As always it takes a catalyst to drive you on the path you were meant to go. Brilliant film. Flashback sequences actually make sense in this film. I can only say that I am a fan of poker, by no means an expert, and this film got me really thinking about the motives of some of my opponents. If you read my profile you'll know that my background is in futures trading. So the skills I learn from poker easily transfer over to how calm and collected I am when I trade the markets.

Futures: Fundamental Analysis
Futures: Fundamental Analysis
by Jack D. Schwager
Price: CDN$ 52.21
28 used & new from CDN$ 37.72

5.0 out of 5 stars Schwager is very indepth...sometimes too indepth., April 7 2003
This is the most comprehensive books on Fundamental Analysis that I have ever seen. This book along with Schwager's Technical Analysis book are required reading for new futures brokers that I hire to my firm.
Mr.Schwager and Mr.Turner have put a very strong mathematical spin on how fundamental analysis can be accomplished. They dissect government trade reports and analyst reports and put an empirical face on the nebulus act of fundamental analysis.
In the preface of the book Mr.Schwager admits that fundamental analysis is not quite accurate. Which begs the question, "why write such a complex book?"
This book is not for the faint of heart, nor is it light reading. It is quite indepth and for the most part above the heads of many beginning futures investors. In order to understand any of the examples you have to have solid trading reference points in your personal trading life.
I recommended it for intermediate traders primarily.
After being involved with futures for 11 years and authoring three books on the subject, I am always impressed at Mr.Schwager thoroughness in researching.

Uncommon Grounds the History Of Coffee and How It Transformed Our World
Uncommon Grounds the History Of Coffee and How It Transformed Our World
by Mark Pendergrast
27 used & new from CDN$ 1.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Coffee may be worse than cattle!, April 4 2003
This is a great book that details the origins of coffee from 6th century Ethiopia to today's Starbucks. On many levels this book succeeds. It has a lot of coffee trivia that is both amusing and thoughtprovoking, it shows how coffee gained its relevance in today's society, and lastly it puts the social and political aspects of coffee under a microscope.
For 11 years I have been a futures and commodities investor, broker, and author. One of my favorite futures commodities is coffee. This book has added to my knowledge base by 10 times. I feel I have a deeper understanding and appreciation of java and in the long run I suspect that this will improve my investments in coffee futures. My hat is off to the author. Congrats on a fine book.

The Coffee Book: Anatomy of an Industry from the Crop to the Last Drop
The Coffee Book: Anatomy of an Industry from the Crop to the Last Drop
by Gregory/Nina Dicum/Luttinger
18 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Coffee could be worse than cattle!, April 4 2003
Mr.Dicum and Ms.Luttinger have writtne a phenomenal book. From their obsure historical facts to their pinpointing the origin of coffee, 6th century Ethiopia, you will be riveted to your seat as if you were reading a fictional novel.
They put coffee, the coffee industry, and global coffee politics under a microscope and often times it fails to hold up to the scrutiny. No matter what your political affiliation is you can't help but be immediately shocked and awed and the incredible amount of sociopolitical machinations that go on for you to have that morning sip of java.
For 11 years I have been a futures investor, broker, and author. One of the preferred futures contracts that I trade is coffee. This book has provided me with an indepth background and perspective on coffee that I never had before. This is now one of my reference books. For those that are interested in investing in coffee either actual grounds or in futures this book is for you and for those that can go a day without the original "liquid gold" you have got to read it. At the end of the day you will appreciate that Starbuck's "venti mocha grande" just a little bit more.

The 16% Solution
The 16% Solution
by J.D., Joel S. Moskowitz
39 used & new from CDN$ 0.37

5.0 out of 5 stars 16% or Better Should Be The Real Title!, April 3 2003
This review is from: The 16% Solution (Hardcover)
This is a great book! I discovered it several years ago when I was contemplating putting a hedge fund together. Mr.Moskowitz is a great reporter. He gives you the nononsense facts about "tax lien certificates". There is no mincing of words about the potential pitfalls of this type of investing, but he also gives you the solutions to avoid or overcome them. His style of writing is clear and understandable. I believe had Mr.Moskowitz really talked about how much you can earn, out of disbelief no one would have bought the book. From his own personal experience he shows you instances 50% returns and even 2,000% returns on very reasonable investments.
After being a futures broker, investor, and author for the past 11 years, there is no other type of investing that I trust besides tax lien certificates. They simply make sense. They are a brilliant way to diversify your portfolio and you won't find yourself competing to often with small investors.
The only drawback is that these opportunities are located all around the country. I live in California where they don't offer tax lien certificates. Therefore, I have to factor in my travel expenses when I calculate my true returns on investment. In the end, I still feel it is a worthwhile endeavor, you will probably feel the same.
Put this on your shelf along with a copy of the book "Futures For Small Speculators" and you won't be disappointed about knowing how to make alternative investments outside of stocks and bonds.

Long-Term Secrets to Short-Term Trading
Long-Term Secrets to Short-Term Trading
by Larry Williams
Price: CDN$ 95.99
16 used & new from CDN$ 23.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Futures Broker gives it two thumbs up!, April 1 2003
I first discovered Mr. Williams when a client brought his book "Batting .800" to me. That was eight years ago. I was impressed then and I am still impressed now. Since he is the only one in a contest setting to take $10,000 to $1 million, when he writes I feel compelled to read it.
This book wins on many points. Mr.Williams likes to use Tradestation to prove out his theory and that makes it accessible to many system developers. He also gives out specific times to trade contracts and he also compares his systems among multiple contracts. Delineating what markets work with what system strategies.
Where the book fails, is that Mr.Williams quickly begins to talk "shop-talk" and will easily lose those investors that may have bought his tapes or seminars. He also fails in the disjointed way interjects his trading platitudes with his actual trading style.
Novices beware. After being in the futures industry for the past 11 years as broker, investor, and the author of three books on the futures investing subject, this book I feel is a must have for the intermediate trader.

Glengarry Glen Ross (Widescreen) [Import]
Glengarry Glen Ross (Widescreen) [Import]
DVD ~ Al Pacino
Price: CDN$ 16.44
29 used & new from CDN$ 1.51

5.0 out of 5 stars It still amazes me!, April 1 2003
... Mr.Mamet was absolutely on point when creating the characters for this screenplay. Mr.Lemmon puts on the performance of his life. There is one scene in the rain where he is begging Mr.Spacey to give him the good leads, that is really heart wrenching.
This movie deals with multiple levels of being a man in the workplace. Ranging from ageism to managers versus the sales force.
This movie by far exceeds the expectations of the viewer and then draws you in by inadvertently creating a mystery movie out of all of the testosterone on the screen.
Every person that is involved with commission sales needs to see this movie at least once. Better yet they need to keep a copy on their shelves. It will teach them to be prudent with their money when the times are good, and to buckledown when times are bad.

Attitude Is Everything
Attitude Is Everything
by Keith Harrell
49 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, Great Title, March 29 2003
This review is from: Attitude Is Everything (Hardcover)
Mr. Harrell has done a phenomenal job of writing a motivational book tha also has substance. As an 11 year futures and options professional,author, and investor, I have to be constantly in control of my attitude and how it affects the markets I am trading. His writing style is clear and fast paced. You will not find yourself disappointed if you bought this book. I only wish that he had delved deeper into his own past and made us more empathetic. Mind you, he does give examples of his personal life and how they apply to his 10 life changing steps, but some level of connection is missing between the author and reader. Overall great book and well worth the money.

Guitar For Dummies
Guitar For Dummies
by Mark Phillips
64 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great learning tool!, March 29 2003
This review is from: Guitar For Dummies (Paperback)
Prior to this book I didn't know anything about guitar playing. By the end of the book I could see myself developing into a competent musician. The included CD makes learning how to play a guitar on your own an achievable goal.
This is a great book for the beginner and for the performer looking to expand his range of styles.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14