Profile for Vanessa > Reviews

Content by Vanessa

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Vanessa (USA)

Coraline
Coraline
by Neil Gaiman
Price: CDN$ 15.33
27 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars An Unrecommended Book, Aug. 13 2003
This review is from: Coraline (Hardcover)
When I first picked up Coraline, I was pleasantly surprised at all the awards and reviews on the inside of the cover. But, as the book progressed, I was more and more disappointed. Neil Gaiman has the ability to weave together just the right words to create the most horrible images; if you are looking for a twisted and unnerving story, then Coraline is for you. But as this book is geared for children, I know if I had read this when I was younger it most certainly would have given me nightmares. Actually, the book sounds like it is based on a very bad dream, and the illustrations only add to the disturbing nature of the story. One of the most disquieting images Gaiman creates is that of the "other mother" who is unaturally tall, has skin as white as a spiders belly, sharp pointed teeth, black buttons for eyes, and worst of all, twitching hands with long red nails like daggers. Equally disagreeable, Coraline finds beings behind the mirror in the hall that were once children, only deprived of their souls and hearts by the other mother and then forgotten. There are several good things about the book, however, one being that Coraline shows real bravery and wit, and Gaiman is very talented in creating imagery that sticks in ones mind. But other then that, I would only recommend it to someone that is a fan of very scary, unnerving books, and certainly not to anyone older then thirteen. So, unless you are one of that select group of people, I would not recommend Coraline to you.

The True Confessions Of Charlotte Doyle
The True Confessions Of Charlotte Doyle
by Avi
104 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent and Entertaining Read!, June 6 2002
To begin, I would like to say that the True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle is very well written. The reader feels that they know the characters personally and are involved in the story. In addition, this book is filled with action, but is also tastefully flavored with a hint of mystery. It could be that only the experienced younger reader would enjoy this book, as it commonly uses ship slang that could get confusing, or slow the story down, or both. But I think that this was an excellent read, and I hope others will take pleasure in it as well. I definately reccomend it!