ARRAY(0xb0d9ac0c)

Profile for Sarah > Reviews

Content by Sarah

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Sarah (Victoria, British Columbia, Canada)

Page: 1 | 2
Fitbit Flex Wireless Activity + Sleep Wristband, Slate
Fitbit Flex Wireless Activity + Sleep Wristband, Slate
Price: CDN$ 99.95
6 used & new from CDN$ 88.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Motivating and Accurate, Jan. 3 2014
I have just started using it and I really love it! It's very motivating to keep checking in and seeing how close you are to meeting your goal. It also calculates your basal metabolic rate and calculates your calorie burning throughout the day. I guesstimate my calories in because I'm more concerned with eating well than eating X number of calories, but it does allow you to enter exact numbers and foods and then keeps track of how much you need to burn off through exercise (and just being alive) to counteract that. It's very accurate too I find, and you can swim with it! Cool.

Easy to Love But Hard to Raise: Real Parents, Challenging Kids, True Stories
Easy to Love But Hard to Raise: Real Parents, Challenging Kids, True Stories
by Kay Marner
Price: CDN$ 21.01
20 used & new from CDN$ 13.33

2.0 out of 5 stars Comforting but useless, Aug. 20 2013
The whole book is stories from parents with kids who have special needs and particularly those "spirited" children or those with behavioural issues. There are some Q&A sections which are equally useless. The questions are good, the answers are brief and often anecdotal with little scientific or clinical back-up. It was comforting and reassuring to read stories that we could relate to, but after a while it gets repetitive and boring. I like the idea of a book written by parents who are going through the same things but it needs to be more balanced with tips, tried and true strategies and clinical approaches in order to lend it some credibility and use.

No More Meltdowns: Positive Strategies for Dealing with and Preventing Out-Of-Control Behavior
by Jed Baker
Price: CDN$ 13.87
47 used & new from CDN$ 8.06

4.0 out of 5 stars Well laid out and easy to follow, Jan. 3 2013
My copy of this is full of sticky tabs and highlights. I found it really informative with good explanations and written in a very easy to read way with chapter summaries and recaps.

Mother Warriors
Mother Warriors
by Jenny Mccarthy
47 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Take it with a grain of salt., Sept. 24 2012
This review is from: Mother Warriors (Hardcover)
This book was hard for me to read... granted my son doesn't have as severe autism as hers and he doesn't have the gut issues. I felt like she was trying to find someone to blame and some way to make him the one she wanted him to be, instead of accepting him as he was. I get that she felt vaccines were a major contributing factor but there is ZERO evidence of this and could it not just be regressional autism that happens to coincide with the 1 year old shots because a regressional autism kid tends to regress sometime around 1 year old?

She makes a few good points and that perhaps there are a subgroup of kids who are fragile or have an underlying disorder that kicks into gear with very little provocation, and that's definitely something that stuck with me from this book.

However, I would be a mother warrior in terms of advocacy and finding therapies that work for my son, and not in bringing down big pharma because of a speculation without evidence.

How to Teach Life Skills to Kids with Autism or Asperger's
How to Teach Life Skills to Kids with Autism or Asperger's
by Jennifer McIlwee Myers
Price: CDN$ 16.02
35 used & new from CDN$ 14.03

2.0 out of 5 stars Google is a better option, Sept. 19 2012
Some interesting techniques and insights but the book is poorly laid out and very incomplete, both in breadth and depth. You'll find better info just doing a search on the specific skills you want to teach.

Making Sense of Autistic Spectrum Disorders: Create the Brightest Future for Your Child with the Best Treatment Options
by James Coplan M.D.
Price: CDN$ 19.44
42 used & new from CDN$ 2.38

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic guide, Aug. 8 2012
Upon getting the "we think he's on the spectrum" speech from my sons preschool and shared concerns by his doctor I went in search of information. This book is FANTASTIC for those starting down this road. It's validating, informative, incredibly interesting and enormously helpful! It discusses ASD from mental, biological and social perspectives often combining charts with descriptions and analogies so no matter your learning style you "get it". The book also gives hope by hilighting the fact that most ASD kids improve over time and teaches about all current treatments and home-based help. I now feel informed and useful in respect to my son and whatever diagnosis we en up with.

Get this book!!

Amazing Machines: Truckload of Fun (10-Book Set)
Amazing Machines: Truckload of Fun (10-Book Set)
by Tony Mitton
Price: CDN$ 18.17
43 used & new from CDN$ 13.91

5.0 out of 5 stars cute and catchy, Sept. 28 2011
Cute pictures, simple story with rhyming prose. My 3 year old son loves it. Lots of books to choose from too so he hasn't gotten bored.

Food Network Magazine Great Easy Meals: 250 Fun & Fast Recipes
Food Network Magazine Great Easy Meals: 250 Fun & Fast Recipes
by Food Network Magazine
Price: CDN$ 17.55
33 used & new from CDN$ 5.48

5.0 out of 5 stars yum!, Sept. 28 2011
I got this from the library and loved the recipes so bought it. Simple and tasty. Watch the carbonara recipe... so tasty but calorie-ific!

Twilight
Twilight
by Stephenie Meyer
Price: CDN$ 10.79
322 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down!, April 16 2009
This review is from: Twilight (Paperback)
Fantastic book, and much better than it actually sounds at first... when I heard about a teenager vampire novel I absolutely wasn't interested but after all the press on it figured I should see what all the hype was about. I'm 25 years old (well above the target audience!) and thought it was an absolutely fantastic novel and once I got into it I couldn't put it down. I've borrowed all the books from my friend and read the first in a week, the second in 3 days and am now half way through the third.

So for all you people who think it sounds stupid but are just a little curious... GIVE IT A CHANCE!! Well worth it :-)

Lullabies For Little Criminals: A Novel
Lullabies For Little Criminals: A Novel
by Heather O'Neill
Price: CDN$ 12.64
84 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Pittered out, Dec 20 2008
I'd give this 3 1/2 stars if I could. If you haven't read the review by Tommy Tom Tom (2 below mine) then do so because I couldn't have said it better than he did. The first half of the book is interesting because the main character, Baby, is having a bunch of experiences that feel like they'll lead to a really interesting climax, but turns out she just keeps having these experiences and the book never really escalates at all... it continues on without the 'build' you'd hope for and eventually pitters out. I had to force myself to finish it off because I kept putting it down for a week or two. Not a good sign!

Having said all that it's well written and very descriptive, using many well-thought out details that make it feel very real. It had the potential to be a great book but just lost its momentum. Oh well, wouldn't say it was a waste of time, just not a phenomenol read.

Page: 1 | 2