Profile for Philip Scott > Reviews

Content by Philip Scott

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Philip Scott (U.S.A.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Romance On Film/Romance On Bro
Romance On Film/Romance On Bro
Price: CDN$ 24.83
25 used & new from CDN$ 14.70

4.0 out of 5 stars *****This has got to be Michaels' most profound cd yet*****, April 23 2001
Calling all romantic music lovers. Come one, come all! This is the cd that you have been asking for. Well, your requests have been heard and answered. Michael couldn't resist these cries and honored us with this beautiful cd. BRAVO MICHAEL
It's hard to know where to start singing the praises for this cd. There are a lot of bright spots that I need to cover with you concerning this cd. Let me try to begin!
How about his voice? Well, Michaels' voice never sounded better. His voice is the romantic voice I and others have been looking for. It's so heavenly and divine. It is the voice of a "musical saint".
How about the repertoire? These are the best songs one could ever imagine. If these aren't American Music at it's best, then I don't know what is.
How about the band? MAGNIFICENT This band was primary a jazz quartet, but all I can say about them is WOW. Micahel hired the finest sidemen you could find anywhere. BRAVO MICHAEL AGAIN
This cd has already turned out to be one of my favorites and is gaining ground everytime I play it.
This cd set is within a "cats' whisker" of being in the great catageory. WITH ALL MY LOVE, PHILIP SCOTT

Vol. 1-in the Miller Mood
Vol. 1-in the Miller Mood
Offered by importcds__
Price: CDN$ 13.14
22 used & new from CDN$ 6.18

4.0 out of 5 stars On second thought, this is a decent cd, April 19 2001
Sometimes things just have to soak in. In this case playing this cd a zillion times has finally worn me down. I must confess, this is a good cd. Did you hear what I said, a good cd, but not great. There is a difference make no mistake about it.
I have been a Ray fan just about all my life(not quite all of my years which are 56 but most of them). R.A. is a very talented trumpet player, make no mistake about that. As is the case of so many musicians, it's hard to always please everyone with every record. Sometimes you will try new things on your records and some of these things will work and be accepted and others will bomb. The key word here is to try with a capital "T". I am more than convinced that Ray is a people pleaser.
For this cd Ray choose an excellent repitore to performn. He had a lot of fine sidemen to play in his band. He hired is old stand by in the name of Don Simpson to pin the arrangements and I think most of them worked fairly well.

Dream Dancing, Vol. 2
Dream Dancing, Vol. 2
Offered by importcds__
Price: CDN$ 13.88
23 used & new from CDN$ 1.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr. Anthony struck gold with this cd, it's great...., April 19 2001
This review is from: Dream Dancing, Vol. 2 (Audio CD)
Mr. Anthony showes us, with this cd, that he still has the touch to warm our hearts and make us want to DANCE DANCE DANCE. What a great cd this has turned out to be. I would say this has got to be one of his all time great cds.
What excitement these old songs bring to me. Everyone one of the songs performed here are my personal favorites. I've never seen such a great collection of songs on one cd. Bravo! Mr. Anthony.

'round Midnight
'round Midnight
Offered by thebookcommunity_ca
Price: CDN$ 105.64
13 used & new from CDN$ 19.39

4.0 out of 5 stars This cd was a brilliant effort on the part of Linda, April 11 2001
This review is from: 'round Midnight (Audio CD)
To please everyone out there with a cd is impossible. Some will like one kind of music and others will not. I'm happy to say that I am one of the people that loves this kind of music. This music is terrific.
There were a lot of bright spots for this cd. To begin with we need to look first a Lindas' voice. Linda did a good job with this crossover project. Her voice is not custom made for this kind of venue, but she did a good job learing how to be a torch singer. She really made these songs sound fresh and new again.
Nelson Riddle showed that he still is the man with the golden touch. He really came up some top notch arrangements. Nelson assembled a who's who of musicians to play in the orchestra. There were many brilliant solos performed on this cd.
In conclusion, I would say that this cd came within a wisker of being great. It definately will be remembered as a classic.

After Hours
After Hours
Price: CDN$ 13.45
22 used & new from CDN$ 8.28

2.0 out of 5 stars This cd had an all star cast, but came up short........., March 17 2001
This review is from: After Hours (Audio CD)
What happens when you assemble an all star cast? Usually you get superb results. In this case this project came up a little short. It apears, despite this brilliant cast, that the repertoire was the down fall of this project. There were too few really good songs performed here.
To defend this all star group, I would like to say that all the musicians did a great job with their performances. They all measured up to their super star billing. If they would have choosen a better repertoire, then this would have been nothing short of a great cd.
This cd is about average, but nothing close to being great. Once again, I think repertoire is everything, just about.
Recommendation: I wouldn't buy this cd.

My Secret Heart: Songs Of The Parlour, Stage And Silver Screen
My Secret Heart: Songs Of The Parlour, Stage And Silver Screen
Price: CDN$ 8.73
18 used & new from CDN$ 4.71

3.0 out of 5 stars This cd has left me speechless, wow!, Feb. 17 2001
Air give me air, I need lots of air, air, air.......This cd has caused me a lot of adverse breathing.
The things that I have read about Ben have been very true. He really is a lot more than I ever bargained for. He is THAT GOOD.
I need to go out on a limb and say that he is the best tenor I have ever heard. In my wildest dreams I never thought anyone could be that good.
For this cd Ben choose to sing a lot of standards. Bravo! This is my kind of music. Ben did an excellent job crooning us with his golden voice. He knew when to hold back and when to sing at full strength. This is marvelous how he worked each song to get the full meaning out of it.
The only complaint I have is there was not enough of the good olde songs that I wanted to hear Ben sing. I know it's hard to please all the people all the time and I understand where Ben was coming from.
This cd is a must for the fans of beautiful opera singers who crossover with popular music.

Pure Nostalgia
Pure Nostalgia
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 22.95
5 used & new from CDN$ 11.20

4.0 out of 5 stars Joe has been a good discovery, for me, Feb. 13 2001
This review is from: Pure Nostalgia (Audio CD)
Joe has been one of the more surprising finds in a long time.He reminds me of Frank Sinatra and Matt Monro. I would say that he sounds half Frank and Half Matt. By the way he is from England. That might explanin why he sounds like Matt Monro.
The first time I heard Joes' voice I was imrpessed. I knew he would be a voice that I would love to hear over and over agian. He has a great delivery with his song. His phrasing is excellent.
I think that anybody that loves great love songs should let Joe sing them to you.

Black And White II
Black And White II
Offered by marvelio-ca
Price: CDN$ 22.44
16 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars There were some bright spots for this cd, stay tuned..., Feb. 6 2001
This review is from: Black And White II (Audio CD)
For this cd Danny tried to play too many medleys. He used this vehicle three times. I have never been a big fan of medleys, but I try to tolerate this venue as much as possible. This time I thought these medelys were a little ridiculious.
There were some bright spots for this cd. On the songs that I liked, Danny did a great job. He seemed to play with a lot of passion. He made these performances seem believeable.
I think it would be alright to buy this cd.

Monica Mancini
Monica Mancini
Price: CDN$ 14.31
18 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Monica seems to be a chip off the old block, Jan. 8 2001
This review is from: Monica Mancini (Audio CD)
Monica Mancini seems to have a beautiful voice that will please the listener. I feel like she is on the way to a wonderful career in music.
For this project Monica elected to sing some of her fathers evergreens. This is not a bad idea! Henry wrote many wonderful tunes over his hughly successful career. The only draw back I have about this cd is that on some of the songs I didn't think the arrangement was very well crafted. Also on the song "Dreamsville" Monica decided to sing this song as a duet with Johnny Mathis. I didn't like that duet.
I think it is fair to say that this is a cd worthy of your purchase.

Black And White Vii
Black And White Vii
Offered by marvelio-ca
Price: CDN$ 9.96
12 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars This is a cd that will surprise you....., Dec 25 2000
This review is from: Black And White Vii (Audio CD)
I have many cds by Mr. Wright. There are some of his cds that I really like and others I would like to forget. In this case I think he has a winner here.
Danny choose good songs to record and gave an above average performance on most songs. I think this cd will be a people pleaser.
Recommendation: I would urge solo piano fans to buy this cd.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10