6 of 8 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars
A TRIUMPH!, Feb. 22 2006
This is a FABULOUS new series for Doctor Who - generally agreed to be the hit of 2005 in the UK and possibly the most successful the show has ever been. I am SO incensed by the review on the same page by someone who clearly hasn't bothered to watch it properly that I just want to make a few things clear...
1) You will not see ANY Daleks with wings in this series.
2) The TARDIS set is brilliant.
3) Eccleston is possibly the best actor to play the Doctor since Tom...and David Tennant could turn out to be even better!
4) The Doctor does NOT dance to Britney Spears, unless you count a slightly self-mocking shoulder shuffle for about a millisecond.
5) What would it have nattered if he'd danced to Spears anyway?
6) Politically correct storylines? What, you want politically incorrect ones? Sorry, the world's moved on. Some of these episodes are really moving in a way the original series never was.
I could go on.
Buy it, watch it, love it - it's better than the original in almost every way. The naysayer's comments above are not really about anything IMPORTANT - they're all superficial, fannish things...and it was absolutely right to discard some of the more embarrassing baggage of the old TV show. It's actors like Eccleston and the storylines by Davies that has made this one of the top ten shows of 2005 in the UK - if they'd brought it back exactly like the old show, it wouldn't have lasted a fortnight. And six episode stories? Give me a break - NO casual viewer in the UK has that kind of attention span any more. It would have been ratings suicide.
I CANNOT PRAISE THIS SHOW ENOUGH. AT ANY PRICE!