Profile for Katherine Mann > Reviews

Content by Katherine Mann

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Katherine Mann (Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada)

Page: 1 | 2
Scroll of Saqqara
Scroll of Saqqara
by Pauline Gedge
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 12.18
25 used & new from CDN$ 0.28

5.0 out of 5 stars Still interesting after all these years, Dec 4 2008
I might have entirely agreed with the review posted above, except that I have come back to this novel year after year, and enjoyed it still. The tale still haunts ... I'll give it a five, if only to say that the weakest of Gedge's novels about ancient Egypt are so much better than anything else out there as to be outstanding.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Photographers please note - buy this software., Oct. 10 2007
Top-notch and easily understood photographic workflow sound like a good thing? Don't hesitate. Lightroom makes it easy to produce excellent prints with a minimal learning curve.

The Philharmonic Gets Dressed
The Philharmonic Gets Dressed
by Karla Kuskin
Price: CDN$ 17.07
36 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific book for little ones, March 4 2007
A copy of this book has just popped up from a box that had been in storage. My daughter and I were so delighted to such an old friend again. It hardly seems like 22 years since we giggled together, over the amusing pictures of people getting ready to go to work.

I can't imagine that anyone could be put off by the amusing, sophisticated illustrations!

The Valley of the Kings: The Tombs and the Funerary of Thebes West
The Valley of the Kings: The Tombs and the Funerary of Thebes West
by Kent Weeks
16 used & new from CDN$ 24.92

5.0 out of 5 stars A Treasure, Feb. 6 2002
I had looked forward with great anticipation to the arrival of this book - and I am not at all disappointed. In the past few years a few books have been published which have delighted my eyes, Tutankhamun, by T.G.H. James, and Egyptian Treasures from the Egyptian Museum in Cairo and now the present work. They share in common the photographer - Araldo De Luca.
De Luca is a consumate artist of light. Throughout this book you will see exquisite shots, described and formed by the light of Egypt - Medinet Habu at dawn, The Temples of Hatshepsut and Mentuhotep, from the air in the dawn light, at the precise moment that the entire Valley of the Kings lies in shadows between golden cliffs behind. There are more - photographs of objects and buildings that I have never seen, or at least not so clearly. De Luca has found the perfect vantage point for every shot, it seems, and has waited for the light to lift the ordinary into statement, explanation rather than simple recording.
Sprinkled through the various essays - and each essay written by a distinguished expert in their field - are delightful drawings, diagrams and maps. We have sumptuous renderings of the interior of Tutankhamon's tomb, which are not so uncommon, but this volume goes on to show us drawings of the interior of Nefertari's tomb, and there's more! The tombs of the Nobles are pictured with the same fine sensitivity as well as the mortuary temples of the west bank.
The essays take a back seat, at first glance, so truly wonderful are the photographs, but here you will find rich descriptions and explanations of the monuments and the objects found within them. Kent Weeks is the general editor; there is an introduction by Her Excellency Mrs. Suzanne Mubarek; Rita Freed, Melinda K. Hartwig, Erik Hornung, Christian Leblanc ... the list of eminent persons goes on.
Congratulations to the publishers, Friedman/Fairfax, and to all those who produced this wonderful book, from type-setters to press persons. This is a treasure! Thank you! L.P.H.!!

HIPPOPOTAMUS MARSH-C (Lords of the Two Lands)
HIPPOPOTAMUS MARSH-C (Lords of the Two Lands)
17 used & new from CDN$ 0.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Gedge again, always welcome, Oct. 8 2001
The three volumes of Gedge's latest series are all equally delightful. Set at the end of the 17th dynasty, and the beginning of the glorious 18th, Gedge's well-informed prose illuminates another era of Ancient Egyptian history. Her characters are always believable, and fully-fashioned.
There is a lot of fiction written about this fascinating ancient civilization, but it is rare for the reader who is informed about the actual history to feel comfortable. Gedge never fails to create an authentic atmosphere. There is never total agreement among Egyptologists about specific events and the time is so remote as to be almost incomprehensible to a modern person, Gedge is seldom criticized for historical inaccuracy. I have always felt comfortable in her Egypt.

Play Classical Guitar: A Complete Guide for Mastering Classical Guitar
Play Classical Guitar: A Complete Guide for Mastering Classical Guitar
by David Braid
Edition: Spiral-bound
Price: CDN$ 19.75
12 used & new from CDN$ 19.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Great classical method for adults, Oct. 2 2001
This excellent tutor will take you from beginner to intermediate status in short order. The exercises are a cut above the ordinary. The explanations are clear, firmly anchored in musical theory without being overwhelming. There is a very nicely produced cd included.
I am an adult beginner. This is the sort of material that I have been looking for since I first laid finger to string. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who wishes to get "there" from "here" elegantly, competently, and happily. Enjoy!

Classic Guitar Technique, Vol 1
Classic Guitar Technique, Vol 1
by Aaron Shearer
15 used & new from CDN$ 7.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Even a middle aged woman can learn Classical guitar!, Dec 22 2000
This method is great! After a lifetime of pretending to play the guitar (!) I finally decided to actually study. My teacher uses all of Shearer's methods simultaneously, but concentrates on this one. I had imagined that beginning to study would place me in the "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" and "Mary had a Little Lamb" category, but NO! This method approaches the study of guitar seriously, and beautifully - by the end of the first book you are playing simple but lovely pieces, based on a sound technical basis. I am astounded to have come so far so quickly using this method. Highly recommended! I am delighted. :)

Complete Valley Of The Kings
Complete Valley Of The Kings
by Nicholas Reeves
20 used & new from CDN$ 0.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Once again, Reeves et al hit the mark!, Dec 13 2000
This volume is filled with great information. I could not imagine touring the Valley of the Kings without having read a similar book. Full of facts and anecdotes, this is an indispensable reference for amateur Egpytologists. Many scholarly works have been written on the various tombs in the Valley, but those sorts of journals are not easily accessed by the general public. Reeve's book serves as a great index and introduction. Each location is thoroughly but briefly summarized. The illustrations, both photographic and drawn, are well produced. Many books on Ancient Egpyt are much more beautiful (and expensive!), but the information presented here is hard to beat.

Baby Its You
Baby Its You
VHS

5.0 out of 5 stars I still smile when I think of this film, Dec 13 2000
This review is from: Baby Its You (VHS Tape)
I saw this film during its first, and probably last run. I thought it was wonderful at the time and would love to see it again. At first glance it has some of the attributes of a teen movie, such as Pretty in Pink, but don't be fooled. The characters are drawn with a harsher hand. The backdrop: coming of age in America, boy meets girl, class clash. If you get the chance, watch it.

The Egyptian
The Egyptian
by Mika Waltari
9 used & new from CDN$ 51.21

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece., Dec 13 2000
This review is from: The Egyptian (Hardcover)
I join the list of reviewers who read this book when they were very young. I was 13, in love with Ancient Egypt and though the librarian was not sure at all that I should read it (it was 1961, a very different era than the present one)I believe I devoured it in less than a week. Waltari has given us a sensitive portrait of the human condition. His scholarship is meticulous - his evocation of the time in which the book unfolds is haunting and believable.
I note one review above which takes exception to the chronology of the late 18th dynasty as Waltari has presented it. Current scholarly opinion would probably fault Waltari, but one must not apply modern opinion to a book that was written in 1945. The book is fiction after all. Look for scholarly opinion in scholarly journals. You will find that there are as many allegations as allegators! *grin*
This is one of the best works of fiction that I have ever had the pleasure of reading.

Page: 1 | 2