Profile for Ruth A. Caldwell > Reviews

Content by Ruth A. Caldwell

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Ruth A. Caldwell "Highland Princess" (Walnut Creek, CA United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Ain't She Sweet?
Ain't She Sweet?
by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
40 used & new from CDN$ 0.51

5.0 out of 5 stars Courage just when I needed it..., Feb. 26 2004
Ce commentaire est de: Ain't She Sweet? (Hardcover)
I found SEP approximately 8 years ago and have been driven ever since to find and devour her stories of strong women overcoming all kinds of unimaginable hardships.
The heroine, Sugar Beth, is the girl we all loved to hate in our youth. She seemed to have everything, only to yearn for the one thing every girl needs; her father's love.
She finds the love, but in the most unlikely way. I just loved the part about the pearls. Every true "Lady" needs her pearls and Sugar Beth finds them and more.
This book inspired me and I really needed this message right now.
Thank you Susan Elizabeth Phillips... really, thanks

Fudge Cupcake Murder
Fudge Cupcake Murder
by Joanne Fluke
23 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous book if you're dieting..., Feb. 23 2004
Ce commentaire est de: Fudge Cupcake Murder (Hardcover)
Another winner in the Cookie Jar mystery series. Hannah has her hands full! She's still in a quandry over two handsome beaus; her sister is still pregnant; her kitty, Moishe, is not happy; her Mother is, as usual, critical and has a secret; Mike, her brother-in-law, is suspect #1 in the murder of the Sheriff that happens to be who Mike is running against during a close election. Said Sheriff just ate one of Hannah's cupcakes minutes before he's murdered and thrown into a dumpster.
Now, all she has to do is get her kitty to eat again, slueth with her expectant sister to get Mike off "suspension pending investigation"; figure out what her Mother is hiding; bake for her thriving business at the cookie jar while she tests recipes and puts together a Lake Eden Cook Book whose deadline has been pushed forward by three months!
The recipes are excellent and all you cookie party gals will find the new Hannah Banana cookie delicious!
Now, don't read the recipes first; she gives a really good clue in the beginning, as to the secret ingredient missing from the Fudge cupcake recipe entry and it was fun to figure it out with her.

Catering to Nobody: A Novel of Suspense
Catering to Nobody: A Novel of Suspense
by Diane Mott Davidson
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 9.49
104 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Read one and I was hooked. --, July 30 2002
"Catering to Nobody" is the first delectable book in this culinary mystery series full of crazy, different characters.
Lightly entertaining, and a good murder mystery Davidson's witty writing and clever clues combine with some yummy recipes along the way to solving this short, fun mystery.
Goldy is a former battered wife who has finally divorced her abusive doctor husband and strikes out to support herself and her pre-teen son by starting an upscale catering company.
Handsome police officer Tom Schultz adds another delicious dimension to the story. If you enjoy Grafton, Evanovich, and Tamar Myers (my other favorite mystery authors who write about 'real' people) you'll enjoy Goldy's sleuthing attempts to determine 1)who keeps trying to poison her lovable (?) ex-father-in-law, 2)who murdered her son's lovely, yet peculiar prior elementary school teacher and (deep breath) 3)WHY does everyone seem to know more about the entire mystery than Goldy? Most mysterious of all her books I've read to date! Excellent.

Death at a Discount: A Susan Henshaw Mystery
Death at a Discount: A Susan Henshaw Mystery
by Valerie Wolzien
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
32 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, quick beach read!, July 29 2002
This is my first Valerie Wolzien, and I am looking for more. She keeps you guessing to the end! Susan Henshaw has no reason to get involved in solving another murder; after all, it didn't happen in her village, nor was she especially close to the victim. Then WHY-o-WHY is she catering the wake? A cozy romance and a village of social climbers combined to keep me reading to the wee hours!

Secret Life Of Bees
Secret Life Of Bees
by Sue Kidd
58 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Too heartwarming to dismiss as fantasy, July 9 2002
Ce commentaire est de: Secret Life Of Bees (Hardcover)
Lily Owens is a 14-year-old girl, living with a neglectful (abusive) father and a black woman, Rosaleen, who has raised her since her mother died when Lily was four year old. She barely remembers her mother, and clings to dim memories of her mother's love.
Secret Life of Bee's is a heartwarming, feel-good story set in the 1960's when racial tensions and violence were at an all time high. After a jailbreak arranged by Lily (after a violent encounter Rosaleen had with racists during an insane attempt to exercise some of her newly granted freedoms) these two embark on a road trip to Tiburon, based on a clue from Lily's Mother's past. There they meet a wonderful family of women beekeepers and enjoy an unlikely merger into the truest kind of family. Lily keeps the truth to herself regarding their arrival and in her experiences with Rosaleen, May, June, and August she seeks the truth about her mother and is able to discern that a mother is more than just a biological bond. Each of these women is a teacher and guide to Lily. You will travel with Lily as she experiences life with each of the four remarkable women even if it means looking to someone other than the woman who gave us initial life. It is a lovely story of Mothers. I read this book based on an Amazon review by a dear friend. Thank you so much PLFBB.

Tender at the Bone: Growing Up at the Table
Tender at the Bone: Growing Up at the Table
by Ruth Reichl
81 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious Reading; Fascinating Life..., July 6 2002
The friend that I borrowed this book from was devastated when I returned it and she (subsequently) couldn't find it. Synchronously, I received it in a recycling effort from one of her dear friends. Imagine how excited she's going to be to receive it back!

With good-humored perspective, Ruth Reichl, NY Times Food Editor, lovingly introduces the significant people in her life and the way she managed to find a path for herself and build a wonderful life in spite of a tumultuous childhood. A childhood that was filled with emotional trauma and rather ghastly home experiences, (imagine) Ruth's Mother picks her up from middle school, and without any preparation or explanation, drives to Canada, where she deposits Ruth in a Catholic boarding school where only French is spoken. When Ruth begs not to be left there, her Mother reminds her that she is the one that wants to learn French!
Reichl introduces us to quirky, memorable characters that thankfully guided the development of her love of fine food. A story filled with wit, sadness, resourcefulness and occasional mishap, Ruth will tell you she learned early in life that the most important thing in life is a good story!
You will be as amazed as I by the life Reichl led and discover a range of cooking and eating possibilities way beyond today's lifestyle. Excellent!

Confessions Of An Ugly Stepsister
Confessions Of An Ugly Stepsister
by Gregory Maguire
Price: CDN$ 14.44
194 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought Provoking: What about those stepsisters?, July 6 2002
17th-century Holland, depicting wonderful Dutch culture and history, is the setting of the mysterious viewpoint of the "ugly stepsisters" and their complex histories and personalities. This beautiful version recognizes why we have compassion and pity for poor Cinders while opening our hearts to her "mean & ugly" stepsisters. The (up to the present time) unseen stepsisters and their extraordinary love and conflict with their "changeling sister" is the most outstanding of the strong threads carrying the story, especially as she (Cinders/Clara) is not relegated to the status of servant by her self-serving stepmother; she chooses it for herself.
Kudos to illustrator Bill Sanderson. The cover and interior art is simply amazing. Once again, a book I initially reached for due to the beautiful, intriguing cover.

The Best of the Moody Blues
The Best of the Moody Blues
Price: CDN$ 15.35
48 used & new from CDN$ 5.51

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful compilation; pleasantly surprised!, June 27 2002
I'm one of those people who LOVES music, but never know what or who I'm listening to! It's sad... I purchased this CD for the song "Your Wildest Dreams" as it reminded me of a guy I dated in high school that I hadn't seen in 34 years. I was pleasantly surprised; there were so many of my favorite songs. Songs that I just LOVED to dance to; dancing was my passion. About 3 months after purchasing the CD, the fellow came back into my life. We're now married. He too had the CD, for the same song, because of me.

The Very Best of the Seekers
The Very Best of the Seekers
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 58.74
4 used & new from CDN$ 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Sing Along with the Seekers!, June 26 2002
Oh take me back to the joy of the music I grew up with! This CD was a gift from a dear friend. The minute it arrived I played it and was pulled back into one of the best eras of inspirational music. My favorite is "Morningtown Ride". Almost like a lullaby I feel it pull at my heart and take me to a beautiful place. I wish I could better put in writing how I am so uplifted by this beautiful anthology. THANKS LBH!

Island Of The Sequined Love Nun
Island Of The Sequined Love Nun
by Christopher Moore
28 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Departure from my norm...., June 26 2002
Well, let's see... Talking fruit bat Roberto; a transvestite navigator; a hooker on a quest to join the mile high club. These are but a few of the zany and outrageous characters that are part of the wildest, most outrageous novel I've read in a long time. There are evil conspiracies, suspense, adventure, and Moore invokes a moral point of view where the bad guys come up against a really loose cannon, Tucker Case, pilot of a PINK jet; well, I hesitate to mention more, as I feel the surprise plots are what make this book the bizarre and outlandish jewel of a satirical, rollicking romp through a remote region of the South Pacific. I just loved that fruit bat, Roberto!
Congratulations/Compliments to the cover artist, Michael McGurl. You're the first reason I was drawn to my first Christopher Moore keeper!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10