Profile for Silvia V. Lamb > Reviews

Content by Silvia V. Lamb

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Silvia V. Lamb (Barrie, Ontario Canada)

First Day Jitters (Hc)
First Day Jitters (Hc)
40 used & new from CDN$ 1.16

5.0 out of 5 stars I find this book to be a great read: ), Aug. 25 2014
This review is from: First Day Jitters (Hc) (Hardcover)
As a teacher, I find this book to be a great read :)

The Mayo Clinic Diet: Eat well. Enjoy Life. Lose weight.
The Mayo Clinic Diet: Eat well. Enjoy Life. Lose weight.
by the weight-loss experts at Mayo Clinic
Price: CDN$ 12.96
18 used & new from CDN$ 12.96

1.0 out of 5 stars With all the research that is going on recently, ..., Aug. 25 2014
With all the research that is going on recently, I find this book does not give a healthy alternative in regards to diet.

Discovering Nature's Cycles:Day and Night(Gr.K-2)
Discovering Nature's Cycles:Day and Night(Gr.K-2)
by Robin Nelson
Price: CDN$ 8.95
20 used & new from CDN$ 1.16

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Teaching Tool for Grade 1 Daily and Seasonal Changes, Jan. 24 2014
I am a primary science teacher and used this book to support teaching concepts of day & night. The book is easy to read and understand for the first graders. The pictures are great.

Fever 1793
Fever 1793
by Laurie Halse Anderson
Price: CDN$ 16.60
49 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Intruiging Historical Fiction, Dec 13 2010
This review is from: Fever 1793 (Hardcover)
A very informative book about the Yellow Fever epidemic in Philadelphia during the summer of 1793. It gives insight to what the daily life of girls and women was like in the late 1700's. It also illustrates the importance of the Free African Society and their efforts as well as courage in taking it upon themselves to continue to care for the victims of Yellow Fever.

Rain Forest Coloring Book
Rain Forest Coloring Book
by Annika Bernhard
Price: CDN$ 5.22
31 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully detailed illustrations, Dec 13 2010
Beautifully detailed illustrations of the flora and fauna of the rain forest. I have used illustrations of this book as "posters" from which to teach about the variety of life, basic needs of living things and about habitat to my first graders!

Forge
Forge
by Laurie Halse Anderson
Price: CDN$ 14.33
55 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully detailed historical fiction with a very personal story, Dec 13 2010
This review is from: Forge (Hardcover)
I am a primary school teacher and at one of the school's Book Fairs I purchased the book "Chains". I did so because the cover showing the silhouette of a little girl with her arms up in "chains" peaked my interest. I read the information on the back cover of the book and was further intrigued. I decided to buy the book not knowing what I would think of it given that it is a YA book. However, as soon as I started reading I found that the writing was very detailed and noted that the author had done extremely good research on the events that happened during the Revolutionary War. The fact that the book was written in the voice of the slave girl was very interesting, as was the information of the daily lives of people living in North America in the late 1700's.

When I came to the last pages of the book and realized I would have to purchase a second...I gladly did so: I immediately came to amazon.ca and ordered the book. I am so glad I did, and found that the change in narrator was a little odd at first but was so caught up in the intricate details that this book too won my heart.

I no longer think of these books as simply YA books but as historical fiction. I now anxiously await the third and final book to come out in written format! I cannot wait to open it and allow myself to become a part of the goings on for Isabel and Curzon!

With confidence I would suggest that other adults read these books.

My Little House Christmas Crafts Book
My Little House Christmas Crafts Book
by Carolyn Collins
11 used & new from CDN$ 6.08

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Supplement to Early Settlers Curriculum, July 20 2010
I am a teacher for the SCDSB. I have taught grade three and am aware of the grade three social studies curriculum expectations. I believe that the Little House books - novels, as well as biographies, are an excellent way to supplement the teaching for this topic. I also run a Grade Three Pioneer Craft Club and I purchased MY Little House Christmas Crafts book because I plan to use some of the crafts mentioned in detail in the book! The crafts are perfect for the grade three children and can be slightly modified for anyone who does not celebrate Christmas.

Whitethorn Woods
Whitethorn Woods
by Maeve Binchy
33 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Whithorn Woods - a study of a small Irish town, Jan. 1 2008
This review is from: Whitethorn Woods (Paperback)
I am really enjoying this book. It is written in the first person narrative yet each chapter is narrated by a different character. It's great because you "get to know" the people that reside in the town of Rossmore and it's surrounding area. I especially like that it resembles a collection of short stories that are connected to tell one large story. I also like the underlying messages that each chapter has has - a little food for thought!