Profile for kingofsting03 > Reviews

Content by kingofsting03

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

kingofsting03

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Thinking in Java
Thinking in Java
by Bruce Eckel
24 used & new from CDN$ 5.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Thorough, fantastic book, July 5 2001
Ce commentaire est de: Thinking in Java (Paperback)
If you are going to be programming in Java at your job, THIS is the book to buy. While you definitely need a background in programming to be able to use this effectively, it covers almost everything in Java that you need to know. Once you've read through all of it, you can confidently use any API in the Java 2 library.
There are lots and lots of code examples, all downloadable from his web site. The CD that comes with the book is excellent as well.
Even if you're NOT programming in Java, this book will help you as an object-oriented designer anyhow. There's lots here to learn about classes, inheritance, data abstraction, and so forth. If you're programming mind is still in a developing state like mine, being a college student, this book can't be highly recommended enough.
At my current internship, this book is invaluable. Its code examples are VERY handy when I can't remember which Stream class to use.
For the price, it's a bargain considering the wretched $100+ prices I pay for far less useful comp sci books.
Even Swing, GUI's, and the basics of networking are here.
To sum it up, I know this is a good book because I had it as my primary textbook in an advanced Java class with one of the very worst teachers in the comp sci department. I simply tuned her out in class and read the book, and I got an A.
HIGHLY recommended!!

Spirit Of Community
Spirit Of Community
by Amitai Etzioni
Price: CDN$ 17.00
48 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Really thought provoking, July 5 2001
Ce commentaire est de: Spirit Of Community (Paperback)
I had to read this book for my political science class, and completed it well ahead of the due date. Etzioni writes a book that clearly targets what he believes is wrong with our system, where the wrongs came from, how we can fix it, and then he ends with a call for us to join him in his Communitarian movement.
The problem, he believes, is that there is an over-emphasis on individual "rights." Everyone these days believes that they have so very many rights, and that stating a right is an END to any argument. What we really need, Etzioni believes, is a new system where we have several layers of communities within communities that take care of one another.
He also discusses the need for a large reformation of our money-driven political system, and a desire to sweep our teenagers away from places like McDonald's, where the only thing acquired is a paycheck.
The family must be restored as well, because family values are gone these days. Parents should weigh their children into account before divorcing, and laws should be made to make divorcing less easy.
Sadly, Etzioni goes a bit too far and loses sight of the American Dream in the end. There is no way that the U.S. as a whole will ever give up our success-oriented system and start devoting all of our time to one another. It's hard to imagine achieving a "community" in gang-ridden South Central L.A.
Worst of all, Etzioni descends into Reagan/Eighties bashing in the first few pages! Sure sign of a socialist loser. Ah well...nice try at disguising your TRUE agenda, Etzioni. While I don't agree with his ideas, this is still a good book to read, and that's why it gets a high rating. Check it out if your beliefs are rock-solid, or else you might swept into following this stuff.

The Ethics of Authenticity
The Ethics of Authenticity
by Charles Taylor
38 used & new from CDN$ 9.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Political Science book, July 5 2001
As a guy who is very conservative, I'm always interested to hear about NEW approaches that aren't just the same old liberal bilge.
I read this book for my political science class last semester, and was interested by Taylor's approach. He believes that a lack of authenticity and extreme individualism are our fundamental ills in society. He diagnoses further and suggests cures, but I will leave that for you to read.
If you've read "Spirit of Community" by Amitai Etzioni, you've already got a good head start onto what you'll find here.

Terminator 2: Judgment Day (Ultimate Edition)
Terminator 2: Judgment Day (Ultimate Edition)
DVD ~ Arnold Schwarzenegger
Offered by ethanssgoodies
Price: CDN$ 42.99
38 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Even after ten years..., July 5 2001
This is STILL one of the very best cinematic action thrillers of all time. You can keep Titanic; James Cameron really pulled out all the stops in directing this one.
The story is great, well-paced, and keeps you on the edge of your seat. Most of this is due to superb acting all around by the four leading characters: the Terminator himself, the terrifying T1000, Sarah Connor, and John Connor, who, by the way, is one of the less annoying kid actors out there.
Of course, why am I talking about this movie since you've all seen it a hundred times? I owned the movie on VHS for quite a while, and was COMPLETELY blown away by the ultimate edition DVD!!! I've owned and seen a wide array of DVD's with features, but this sets the new standard. There are tons of cut-out scenes, interviews, etc. I've watched for hours, and still haven't gotten through the first side of the DVD, let alone through the whole thing.
All of this is wrapped in a very, very snazzy interface. You'll spend quite some time clicking around that haunting Terminator head, and enjoy it a lot.
This DVD is expensive, but well worth it if you're a fan of this movie...and who isn't? Oh, one more thing: the sound is SUPERB. Get a quality surround sound system for this one and crank up the volume!

Live & Sleazy
Live & Sleazy
Offered by discounts
Price: CDN$ 9.99
16 used & new from CDN$ 1.82

5.0 out of 5 stars A Real Gem, July 3 2001
Ce commentaire est de: Live & Sleazy (Audio CD)
I'm not the biggest disco fan, but I do enjoy old music once in awhile. The Village People prove on this CD that they're more than just YMCA and In the Navy. These guys really didn't take themselves too seriously, but they sure had fun.
My favorite songs are Hollywood and Ready for the 80's. I wasn't alive when these guys were big, but it doesn't mean their music is lost. Buy this CD used and enjoy the heck out of it when you've been drinking too much; it's fun.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
VHS
Offered by vidsale
Price: CDN$ 22.95
13 used & new from CDN$ 3.67

5.0 out of 5 stars Bueller....Bueller...Bueller..??, July 3 2001
Ce commentaire est de: Ferris Bueller's Day Off (VHS Tape)
What a classic! "When Cameron was in Egypt's laaand...let my Camerons gooo."
This is Matthew Broderick, young and charming, enjoying his journey through Chicago as he cuts high school for a day. He'll have to avoid his determined principal, Mr. Magoo of a dad, and bitter sister to maximize his enjoyment.
Then again, how hard is it to enjoy yourself when you've got a quality Ferrari and a cute 80's teen chick? Ferris Bueller's Day Off is ultimately enjoyable because the characters are believable and lovable, there are numerous funny moments, it'll make you sentimental for high school, and of course, you've got the feel-good parade scene.
And who can forget the immortal Ben Stein? "Bueller.....Bueller.....Bueller..."
Buy this tape and watch it whenever you're down, because it's a good ride that doesn't require much intellectual involvement.

NEW What Lies Beneath (DVD)
NEW What Lies Beneath (DVD)
Offered by biddeal
Price: CDN$ 10.26
40 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Very, very scary, July 3 2001
Ce commentaire est de: NEW What Lies Beneath (DVD) (DVD)
...It is by far the creepiest and scariest movie I've seen, easily beating out the Sixth Sense, a film it has probably been compared to.
Major thumbs-up to Harrison Ford for surprising us in his role as the bad guy. Michelle Pffeiffer, however, really steals the show with her changing roles as the mother and dead girl.
The movie is well-paced and tense. Just when you think the tension is over, a blood trail or missing body leads to more fright. I am forever haunted by the sudden eyeball appearing in the knothole in the fence.
The sound and music are well done. Be sure to watch this movie in surround sound during a quiet time of day so you can be truly frightened by the subtle, distant whispers.
See it!

"It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (1963)"
"It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (1963)"
DVD ~ Spencer Tracy
Offered by M and N Media Canada
Price: CDN$ 41.06
4 used & new from CDN$ 16.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A fabulous, timeless comedy, July 3 2001
My parents introduced me to "mad world" when I was very young. Since my first viewing, I think I've seen it roughly 200 times. Mad World takes every one who defined comedy in that era and inserted them into this long romp. Even the Three Stooges make a 5-second cameo.
The stars all shine and work together brilliantly to create the most quotable movie of all time. I find myself saying things from Mad World every day without regard to whether or not anyone has seen the movie. In fact, almost any situation calls for a quality quote from Mad World:
"That guy's dead...you better believe it." "LISTEN TO YOUR MOTHER!!!" "I hate dentists...I hate them so much, I can't tell you how much in front of your wife!" "They're still alive!" "'Out baby, out baby, out!' 'Who you calling baby?'" "We fell into yellow." "We'll never get anywhere listening to this old bag!"
Do those lines seem unfamiliar and stupid to you? If so, it's cuz you haven't seen this 60's classic. Buy it, own it, live it, love it. This 19 year old college student can't be wrong about everything.

Baby, One More Time
Baby, One More Time
Price: CDN$ 14.85
72 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars We have to start somewhere, July 3 2001
Ce commentaire est de: Baby, One More Time (Audio CD)
This album is NOT as good as her sequel. Not by a long shot. Baby one more time is always a great single, but Crazy was outdone by the remix, and the rest of the songs are fairly regrettable.
However, I think Spears cringes now at listening to these songs of her past, and knows better. Her new album is more mature nad powerful. Get that instead. Or, go listen to the Beastie Boys.

Sugar Ray
Sugar Ray
Offered by TUNESUS
Price: CDN$ 3.31
53 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Still alive!, July 3 2001
Ce commentaire est de: Sugar Ray (Audio CD)
It would be easy to think that Sugar Ray is just another passing couple-album fad, now that "Fly" and "Every Morning" are long gone from everyday radio playlists.
However, McGrath and the boys have proven with this new disc that they're going to be around for some time to come. Farther than ever from their wilder roots, most of the songs here reveal a slightly brokenhearted lead singer.
The leading hit single, "When it's over", is pure ear-candy in the spirit of Sugar Ray's previous singles. You'll be humming this one for a long, long time, even if you don't like it.
But, why buy this album? Sure, it's easy-going, guitar-driven modern pop. For what it is, it's as good as it gets. Just be warned that your friends will get annoyed from your continuous humming.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5