Profile for Kyle D > Reviews

Content by Kyle D
Top Reviewer Ranking: 928

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Kyle D (NB, Canada)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2
Into The Wild
Into The Wild
Price: CDN$ 47.56
17 used & new from CDN$ 33.08

5.0 out of 5 stars Edgy, Raw, and Beautiful. 'Into The Wild' is a Rare Experience, April 29 2014
This review is from: Into The Wild (LP Record)
When asked to record a few tracks for the film, long time friend Sean Penn wasn't expecting what Eddie Vedder sent back. What was originally intended to be a few pieces to fit certain moments in the film, quickly turned into a musical adventure for Vedder, gaining inspiration from Penn and the project. The result was more than a soundtrack; it was an album full of warmth, adventure, simplicity, and emotion. This isn't a Pearl Jam album, it's the furthest thing from it. This is personal and unique.

This release by Music On Vinyl is pressed on high quality 180 gram vinyl, and includes a 28-page book with the songs lyrics and artwork from the film. The book also includes a forward from Sean Penn, describing how the soundtrack became what it is. The album sounds fantastic, each track is crisp and clear. It is easily one of my all-time favorite records, and will continue to be for years to come. This isn't a long album, it's barely more than 30 minutes in total, but if you're looking for a spectacular music experience, you should go 'Into The Wild'.

Sound City - Real to Reel [Blu-ray]
Sound City - Real to Reel [Blu-ray]
Offered by Fulfillment Express CA
Price: CDN$ 41.00
40 used & new from CDN$ 15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Phenominal Rockumentary, Dave Grohl's 'Sound City' is Mind Blowing, April 29 2014
Setting out to make a documentary about the history of the iconic Sound City Studios, Dave Grohl delivers a visually and sonically wondrous film in which the God-like NEVE console quickly becomes the star. Interviewing rockers from different eras in rock history, Grohl uncovers unique stories and fond memories from Stevie Nicks, Rick Springfield, Niel Young, Tom Petty, Josh Homme, Trent Reznor, and so many more. But the main focus is on how the music sounded, thanks to the analog recording console that gave us some of the greatest albums in rock history. 'Sound City' is fun, it'll have you banging your head at times, but it has its moving moments too. The real treat with the Blu-ray release of this film is the lossless audio track on the disc. Every soundbite from the classic albums recorded at Sound City that are showcased in the film were meticulously taken from the original master recordings at Grohl's request, sucking you in and making you feel as though you are right there in the studio.

But that's not all... the film turns into a rebirth for the NEVE console toward the end, when Grohl and his fellow Foo Fighters record brand new tracks with the artists who originally made Sound City Studios THE place to record the best sounding record. These new recordings were released as the compilation 'Sound City: Real To Reel', a companion soundtrack to the film's release.

It would be too easy to say that this could very well be the best music documentary ever made, but then again, maybe it is.

Back To Black (Vinyl)
Back To Black (Vinyl)
Price: CDN$ 20.00
28 used & new from CDN$ 18.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing album. (Review is for the UK pressing), Aug. 28 2013
This review is from: Back To Black (Vinyl) (LP Record)
This is a truly beautiful album. The music, the writing, Amy Winehouse had such talent. I'm relatively new to vinyl, and I'm pretty skeptical with purchasing new music on this medium. 'Back To Black' is an album I knew I wanted in my collection when I started building it. I read many reviews on various pressings of certain albums, and this one came up a lot, with many complaints about the US pressing. Many unsatisfied customers were saying that it didn't sound right. It was distorted and dirty sounding, when the album should sound anything but. However the reviews for the Limited UK pressing were phenomenal. I'm not sure if the US pressing that was causing all of these issues was discontinued or not, but it disappoints me that an inferior version of Amy's work lives on, poorly representing her efforts. I didn't buy my copy of the UK pressing on Amazon, however I was lucky enough to come across a new sealed copy of it at HMV of all places for a reasonable price. To help figure out which is US and which is UK, the UK pressing shows Amy sitting on a chair in front of a blackboard, and the US pressing shows her in a bathtub with an all black background. I do know that there are two different pressings in the US, the original 2006 press, and the 2007 repress. Unfortunately I'm really not sure which of the two US ones is the bad one, or if it's both. I haven't found enough reviews that specifically said which the customer had that was bad. Either way, the Limited UK pressing is on 180 gram, and despite being labeled "Limited", it seems readily available from many music retailers in Canada.

I am very happy with my purchase, and recommend this album to anyone, regardless of your taste in music. This is a genre defining album that will live on for generations. If you can find a copy of the UK pressing, buy it. If not, please research first to make sure you're getting something that sounds good.

Appetite For Destruction (Vinyl)
Appetite For Destruction (Vinyl)
Offered by roundmedia
Price: CDN$ 22.41
19 used & new from CDN$ 22.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic re-issue of an American masterpiece., Aug. 28 2013
Pressed on 180 gram vinyl from the original master recordings, Appetite For Destruction still has it. I didn't buy this from Amazon, I would have but I came across it at HMV for $20. I've never heard this album sound so good before. This is the first time I've listened to it on vinyl, but comparing it to the CD version, well, there is no comparison. While listening to this LP, I've heard things that I didn't know were there before. The lack of compression and the much more vibrant dynamic range truly filled my ears with so much more than a CD ever could. Obviously the tracks that made GNR who they are sound amazing, but tracks like 'Nightrain', 'Mr. Brownstone' and 'My Michelle' had so much more depth. I don't even have a high quality set up. I have an entry level Audio-Technica AT-LP60 (which I have also reviewed) playing through my Sony Home Theater (one of those theater-in-a-box kits). I bet this would sound even better playing through high end equipment.

I will say this though, when I first opened it, I took out the LP to see a lot of fingerprints and dirt on both sides of the disc. I was disappointed with that because of how much effort was put into the overall presentation. So I highly recommend giving this LP a thorough cleaning before listening to it. There are plenty of vinyl cleaning tutorials on YouTube, so take advantage of them to make this record sound it's absolute best, and to help preserve it for years to come.

All in all, I definitely recommend this. Everything is designed to look like the original release, the sleeve, the labels on the LP, everything. I had a chuckle that the sides were labeled 'G' and 'R'. Beautiful presentation, beautiful sound, a winner all around.

Rockabilly Riot: Live From The Planet (3LP colour)
Rockabilly Riot: Live From The Planet (3LP colour)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great addition for any Sezter fan, Aug. 28 2013
I was going to order this from Amazon but it's been out of stock for ages. I luckily found it new and sealed at a record store when I was record shopping in one of the bigger nearby cities. 20 Fantastic tracks spread out on 3 transparent green LP's, Setzer covers hits from his entire career. The sound quality is so clean and well mastered. This limited pressing of only 1,000 pieces, will definitely be a collector's item so pick it up while you can!

Also, it comes with a code to redeem online for an MP3 version to listen to on your iPod or PC.

Audio-Technica AT-LP60 Fully Automatic Belt Driven Turntable
Audio-Technica AT-LP60 Fully Automatic Belt Driven Turntable
Price: CDN$ 138.00
14 used & new from CDN$ 129.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this turntable!, Aug. 14 2013
New collector of vinyl and this is my first turntable. I did a lot of research before making my decision, and everything that I found about this model was good, especially the price. Many of the records I have are older, second hand ones, and I highly recommend cleaning them if they're any bit dirty before playing them. You can find tutorials on YouTube on safely cleaning your vinyl collection. There are a few things with this turntable that will need tweeking when setting it up: make sure the belt is put on properly, you don't want it to be twisted or too low on the spinning plate. Make sure the stylus housing is on tight and all the way. If there's a gap between the white and black it's not attached properly. You can remove it by pulling the white part down and out as well for cleaning, which is also recommended frequently, especially if you're playing a lot of older, or somewhat dirty records. Invest in a small nylon paintbrush or something similar to clean your stylus needle regularly. Brush front to back, NEVER side to side. You also want to make sure that your spinning plate is sitting properly and not wobbly. Since this model turntable doesn't have weight tension settings, wobble can cause skipping on even newer records. There is very little assembly required, so you can have it set up and spinning vinyl literally in minutes. And it comes packaged very well by the manufacturer, everything is packed in the Audio-Technica box tight.

As for how it sounds, I personally find it sounds amazing. I don't have an overly fancy set up, but I have this turntable connected to my Sony Home Theater receiver (one of those 1000 watt Theater in a Box sets) And everything that I played sounded clear and well defined. Great stereo separation, lots of clean sounding bass when present on the recording, and some of my older records that have some wear on them still sound like new with almost no snaps or pops.

It's incredibly easy to use, all of the settings and switches are clearly labeled, and of course it's automatic, so once your record is on the plate, push start and enjoy!

I highly recommend this to anyone just getting into vinyl or for the casual listener looking for a cost efficient replacement. Audiophiles would recommend to go with a direct-drive system with an adjustable weight tension arm, but those can be costly and unnecessary for casual listeners or beginners.

I hope my rant helps someone who is interested or on the fence about this model.

[UPDATE]

It's been the better part of a year since I received this turntable, and it still works as good as it did on day one. Keeping your records and stylus clean is the key to longevity.

...Like Clockwork
...Like Clockwork
Price: CDN$ 12.00
40 used & new from CDN$ 8.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, Aug. 4 2013
This review is from: ...Like Clockwork (Audio CD)
This is not only a great album, but it's easily one of the best I've heard in almost a decade. A lot of 90's bands are coming out with fantastic albums in the past few years, and I'm glad to see it. ...Like Clockwork could very well be the defining album of the Queens Of The Stone Age catalog. Highly recommended!

Corner Gas: Season 6
Corner Gas: Season 6
DVD ~ Brent Butt
Price: CDN$ 19.99
22 used & new from CDN$ 16.18

2.0 out of 5 stars Love the show, disappointed in the quality of the DVD's, Feb. 23 2010
This review is from: Corner Gas: Season 6 (DVD)
I've been a fan of the show from the beginning, and when it made it's debut in HD with the third season, the show never looked so good. I've bought all six seasons on DVD so that I can go back to Dog River whenever the mood hits me, but I have to say, the video quality is atrocious. I mean come on, did they burn the HD masters in a pit thinking no one would ever need to see them again? I know DVD video isn't HD, but most of the time, the DVD versions of shows and movies are mastered from the HD source, giving the best possible quality for the format. With the last four seasons of Corner Gas, the video is blocky, over compressed, and when watched on a high definition TV, it's almost a slap in the face to quality freaks like myself. I'd love to see the entire series re-released in either a Blu-ray collection, or at the very least, a fully remastered DVD set with much better compression using the HD masters as a source.

But I will say this, for the price and quantity (not quality) of episodes in these DVD sets, it's an alright purchase. If you're like me and prefer a little quality for your money, I'd hold off and see if something better comes along in the future that does this Canadian classic justice.

Yours truly,
Games and Movies guy

BioShock - Xbox 360
BioShock - Xbox 360
35 used & new from CDN$ 4.88

5.0 out of 5 stars My pick for best 360 game to this date, and one of my all time favorites, Nov. 8 2009
Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: BioShock - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
Words cannot describe how much I love this game. Time can though, as I've put around 50 hours into it, and counting! It's all around brilliant. The visuals, the music, the characters, the perfect gameplay and ridiculously good story. I'll admit, I was very skeptical when I first heard about it. It sounded, well, dumb. But then as trailers were being released, and then eventually the amazing demo, which I didn't play until a week after the game came out. But when I did, I absolutely had to go out and buy the game at 11PM that night and rush home to stay up all night playing it. If you're looking for a great story, beautiful, smooth gameplay, and a creepy atmosphere, buy this game. You will not regret it.

Another thing I really enjoyed about this game is the easy achievements! 960 GS points can easily be unlocked on a single run through of this game on easy or medium as long as you find everything and get all of the upgrades and finish all of the research. Take pictures of anything and everything that moves. The other 140 (1100 GS points total) are for completing the game on the hardest difficulty, and for not using a Vita Chamber (refer to game) on the hardest difficulty.

Other honorable mentions for super easy achievement points:

NBA 2K6 - All you need to do is play one game with the standard settings, alone or with up to three friends (on the same team), and if you do it right you and anyone else playing on your team will immediately get all 1000 GS points one the match is finished. Just make sure you check the achievement menu before you start the match so you know what you have to do in game first (ie: triple doubles). If you don't know what a triple double is, look it up.

Avatar: The Burning Earth - Start the game, press the B button until you're 1000 GS points richer.

Madden 06 - This one requires some time, but insanely easy to get all 1000 GS points.

Fight Night Round 3 - Same idea as Madden, takes time, but easy to get them all.

Call Of Duty 2 - Give this a run through on Veteran difficulty and you'll have 1000 more GS points.

Peter Jackson's King Kong: The Game - An ok game, straight forward, easy 1000 GS points.

Need For Speed: Most Wanted - Play the game, get all the points.

LOST: Via Domus - Only for true LOST fans, as the game is far from great. But it's an easy 1000 points if you can find everything and don't get killed by the smoke monster.

Jumper: Griffin's Story - A horrible game. The real purpose of it is to test how long you'll play it before wanting to punch a baby. Easy enough points though, you should be able to get at least 800 on one play through.

Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End - Surprisingly fun game, aside from all of the collecting. There is a LOT of collecting. But if you can find everything in every level, you can easily get 850 GS points in one play through.

Batman: Arkham Asylum - Same idea as BioShock, easy story-driven points, and points for upgrades and solving riddles. One story play should get you around 800 GS points. There's also points for the challenge mode.

Fable II - Play it. Find S#!t. Achieve it.

Other games that will give a very good boost to your gamerscore from just playing through them are: Halo 3: ODST, Crackdown, Bully: Scholarship Edition, Gun, Kameo: Elements Of Power, Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Fallout 3, Eat Lead, Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, The Darkness, Dead Space, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, and Scene It: Lights, Camera, Action!

A lot of these games are really cheap by now, and if you're just in it for the points, you could probably rent any of these for a few days to a week and get everything you need.

Avatar:The Burning Earth - Xbox 360
Avatar:The Burning Earth - Xbox 360
15 used & new from CDN$ 27.75

2.0 out of 5 stars I only played this for one reason: 1000 gamerscore points in under five minutes!, Nov. 8 2009
Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
There's only one reason I picked up this title: the 'Oh my God it's so easy an epileptic infant could do it' achievements. The game is probably cool for those of you who are Avatar fans, it looks good and seems like solid gameplay. But for those of us looking to jump ahead of our friends on XBL, it's a quick and simple 1000 point booster shot. This is what you need to do: start the game, repeatedly press the B button, and in five minutes you're 1000 GS points richer. I recommend looking for it either to rent or borrow if this is what you're looking to get out of it.

Other honorable mentions for super easy achievement points:

Need For Speed: Most Wanted - Play the game, get all the points.

BioShock - 960 GS points can easily be unlocked on a single run of this game on easy or medium as long as you find everything and get all of the upgrades and finish all of the research. Take pictures of anything and everything that moves. The other 140 (1100 GS points total) are for completing the game on the hardest difficulty, and for not using a Vita Chamber (refer to game) on the hardest difficulty.

Fable II - Play it. Find S#!t. Achieve it.

Page: 1 | 2