Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Amazon Customer "minister-of-truth" (Greendale, USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Liz Phair
Liz Phair
Price: CDN$ 12.55
51 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Bland, July 1 2004
This review is from: Liz Phair (Audio CD)
Yes, sexy cover, but this is one of the most bland albums I have heard in a long time. I guess trying to go mainstream requires that. Too bad.
One song after another; musicially uninteresting, shallow bland lyrics ('Rock Me' is a perfect example).
Not worth a second listen.
Too bad.
I guess this is what it takes to get a hit record these days.

Greendale (W/ Bonus DVD)
Greendale (W/ Bonus DVD)
Price: CDN$ 23.95
10 used & new from CDN$ 11.83

4.0 out of 5 stars Neil always surprises, Aug. 27 2003
I wanted to wait until after I had heard the studio Greendale a few times before I commented on it. First of all, it is difficult to isolate the CD seeing as how there are other aspects to the whole Greendale idea: the European acoustic tour (captured on the DVD that comes with this CD), the American tour with stage show and a cast of thousands, the website with multi-layered and multi-media aspects, and the art work on both the website and the CD. Also the future DVD(s) coming out in, possibly, September. "Greendale, the gift that keeps on giving."
So, how do you isolate the CD in your mind? You don't. It is but just one aspect of the Greendale concept. In this way, I think it is unique in the Rock world even among past concept albums as The Who's Tommy, Pink Floyd's The Wall, Genesis' The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's, etc.
Some have commented elsewhere about the boring bass, drums and guitar on this album and lack of anything interesting musically. I can see how someone can get this impression. But it is more complicated, and simpler than that. I think this is a minimalist album. Neil strips the songs down to pure simplicity in order to bring the words, the narrative to the front. And the narrative is the key. Indeed, most of the songs don't even have a chorus or a bridge, just a simple 2- or 3-chord progression that cycles over and over. Some of the songs sound alike. The drums and bass are "Rhythm Section 101;" the Rock idiom stripped down to the bare minimum. Still, a definite groove is created and finds it's way through the songs and the album.
Yesterday evening while I was watching my daughter in the pool, the sun was setting and I was listening to Greendale on the headphones. I was watching birds and planes fly across the sky while it turned to pink and red. 'Bringing Down Dinner' came on and it still brought tears to my eyes. This is Neil's strength; his emotional intelligence. He can turn a phrase and pack a wealth of emotion into just a few words. (more on that later) The line "What's Grandpa doin' on TV?" is just brilliant and
a perfect example of what I am talking about.
Neil has a lot to say here about the present situation in this country; the media, the giant corporations, the environment, the government, the war. All packed into a simple story of a little town. Sit back and enter the world of Greendale.
One more thing: it would get 5 stars from me if a little more time had been put into the recording, instrumentation, and refining the lyrics. Still, I think the end result was completely intentional on Neil's part.

Got a Revolution!: The Turbulent Flight of Jefferson Airplane
Got a Revolution!: The Turbulent Flight of Jefferson Airplane
by Jeff Tamarkin
15 used & new from CDN$ 21.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read, Aug. 13 2003
For any fan of the Airplane, this is a must-read. Very well written and readable; I couldn't put it down. I kept wanting to get to the next part about the recordings I know and love.
Great job.

Styx
Styx
Offered by Musique du Faubourg
Price: CDN$ 29.99
3 used & new from CDN$ 29.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Their best, period, July 29 2003
This review is from: Styx (Audio CD)
This IS their best album. Their first album. After that they got sucked into the downward spiral of pop-rock mediocrity. Never again to be as experimental or progressive. You might like this album even if you think you hate Styx, the stadium rock/power ballad Styx, anyway.

The Da Vinci Code: A Novel
The Da Vinci Code: A Novel
by Dan Brown
Price: CDN$ 20.69
370 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars More than just a page-turner, June 23 2003
Yes, this is a fun, fast pager-turner murder mystery, but much more. The elements of the Holy Blood mystery are all laid out here in easily digestable form. Don't make the mistake of thinking that the author is making this up, he's not. You could even look at this book as simply a vehicle for bringing the Holy Blood, Holy Grail mystery to a wider audience. I am surprised no one else mentioned this. Read also Holy Blood, Holy Grail by Baigent et al for a more "non-fiction" treatment of this subject.
P.S. - The author cleverly uses the names "Sauniere," "Sophie/Sofia" and "Bezu" for main characters in this novel; names that figure into the real mystery.

Wicked
Wicked
by Gregory Maguire
Price: CDN$ 14.44
179 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Very imaginative, May 7 2003
This review is from: Wicked (Paperback)
I think some reviewers might have been disappointed because they were expecting a children's story along the lines of the original Oz books and movie. This book is much more imaginative and is definitely NOT a children's book. It is also very heavy in the fantasy area; something some might not be used to.
I really enjoyed it. It totally changed my preconceptions of the Witch of the Oz movie. And, contrary to others, I found Elphaba (the Witch) to be a sympathetic character right up to the climax that meshes roughly with the movie. Her actions are more explainable here.
The story also has a lot to say about the natural of "evil" and our basic human condition. I like the way the author tied in elements from our world (the Madame Blavatsky reference), too.
In short: just read it.

Become You
Become You
Price: CDN$ 22.95
20 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Mildly Disappointed, Oct. 4 2002
This review is from: Become You (Audio CD)
The IGs have returned to the relationship-heavy themes of their earlier albums. Gone are the dense, complex arrangements of Scooter Boys, Jonas & Ezikiel, and Gone Again; and gone are the harder-hitting songs like Sister, Compromise, and Go from the previous Come On Now Social. Not that there is anything wrong with the mellower side of the Girls; songs like Ghost, You and Me of 10,000 Wars, Galileo, and Prince of Darkness are masterpieces. I get the feeling, though, that Emily is writing the same song over and over again. I am getting a bit tired of her songs about turbulent relationships.
Musically, this album is pretty tame. Some may prefer this side of the Indigo Girls, but I prefer Amy's darker, denser arrangements; songs like Three Hits, Dead Man's Hill, Chicken Man, and the previously mentioned songs from Come On Now Social. These type of songs are lacking on Become You, with the exception of the title track and Starkville.
This album tends to put me to sleep and the last song, Nuevas Senoritas, makes me nod off all together.

La Zizanie
La Zizanie
Price: CDN$ 18.51
22 used & new from CDN$ 8.46

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting French pop, Aug. 21 2002
This review is from: La Zizanie (Audio CD)
While living in Europe I have been searching for music that goes beyond the pop mold. Believe me, it is pretty hard to find. This disc is an exception: well-written interesting music that is NOT a Celine Dion clone. If you are looking for some beautiful French female vocals with interesting pop/rock arrangements, check this one out....

Talk
Talk
Price: CDN$ 52.95
3 used & new from CDN$ 20.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Rabin Solo Album + Yes, May 5 2002
This review is from: Talk (Audio CD)
If you are a Rabin fan or a fan of Rabin-era Yes, you will probably like this one. I think it sounds pretensious and uninspired. Chris Squire is missing in action. Alan White pulls some strong beats out of the can, but the rest is pure Rabin.
There are some songs I can stand but most I can't listen to all the way through. I got this for [low price] in the bargin bin and I am not sure I got a good deal.
-A long time Yes fan

Peter Gabriel: Secret World Live
Peter Gabriel: Secret World Live
VHS
9 used & new from CDN$ 14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Concert Film, Aug. 8 2001
Peter Gabriel is one of my favorites and this is one of the best concert films I have ever seen. Yes, it is heavily edited, as with most of Gabriels "live" videos, but it is still very entertaining. I also enjoyed the versions of the "US" songs better here than on the original studio CD. If you are a PG fan, you must have this. This is the kind of concert film you can watch more than once.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3