Profile for A. Castro > Reviews

Content by A. Castro

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

A. Castro (wisconsin)

Happiness... Is Not A Fish That You Can Catch
Happiness... Is Not A Fish That You Can Catch
Price: CDN$ 8.52
26 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars very good, June 15 2004
this is one of the best cds ever made. the guy who said this is commercial crap is simply retarded. gravity is commercial crap and olp will never be the same after it. happiness and spiritual machines are two of the most incredible albums ever made. arnold lanni certainly had a big hand in the process, i'd go as far to say he was an unofficial member of the band by this point. but what he did as producer and what the band did lyrically and musically was just incredible on this album. excellent from top to bottom. an auditory experience.

Nasty Little Thoughts
Nasty Little Thoughts
Price: CDN$ 14.97
42 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars these are my nasty little thoughts, Aug. 12 2003
This review is from: Nasty Little Thoughts (Audio CD)
letters, little black backpack, and washin and wonderin are three of the best pure pop rock songs i've heard in a while, honestly. if the rest of the cd was up to that quality, it'd probably be one of the best and easily the catchiest cd's i own. unfortunately, it's not and the other 9 songs range from merely OK to simply terrible and when only 1/4 of a cd is any good, my friends, that's why the good Lord created Ebay and Kazaa. i'm not gonna spend my time knocking this cd trying to sound all self-important and pretentious and all that, in my mind, simply put, 3 of the songs on stroke 9's cd nasty little thoughts are really really good and the other 9 pretty much suck. they had all the potential in the world to write an album of great pop songs, but they burned out after 3 and released the album with a LOT of filler. and now they're a punk band, so yeah. disappointed, but it won't be in my cd collection for much longer. that's all from me.

Audio Of Being
Audio Of Being
Price: CDN$ 10.31
34 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The best album ever made...period., June 18 2003
This review is from: Audio Of Being (Audio CD)
This person reviewing Matt Good Band's final album must be some kind of idiot. Calling it the greatest album ever made. Who does he think he is? What is he smoking? And where can I score some of it?

Think what you'd like of my statement. I'm not here to convince anyone. I'm just happy to own such a work of art. At first, I didn't even like the CD that much. I was raised on the infectious bombast of Beautiful Midnight's "Hello Time Bomb" and some of MGB's fast-paced singles from Underdogs. The more I listened to the CD, I started to realize some things.

This is Warne Livesey's best production to date. It's so incredibly crisp and clear and perfect. Impeccable production on this album. There is so much going on with these songs, after owning it for more than a year and a half I'm still listening to it on different stereos and finding brand new subtle nuances that go into each song. The songs are abstract and beautiful. Matt does his best singing and writes his best lyrics on AOB. Dave expands his already enormous pallette by adding gorgeous, delay-drenched textures and shows what a lead guitarist can do, without showing off. I absolutely love Dave Genn's playing. This album is Dave's finest hour.

The rhythm section consisting of Ian Browne and Rich Priske are not to be overshadowed. They too come forth with their most creative work to date. With each song, from the dynamic opener "Man of Action," to the somber-with-a-surprise ending "Sort of a Protest Song," this disc gives the listener nothing short of an auditory experience. Few CDs have been able to do that for me (Dredg's El Cielo, some of Our Lady Peace's stuff, and Third Eye Blind's Blue to be specific).

Is it the best CD YOU'LL ever hear? I don't know. Frankly, I don't care. But it's the best CD I've ever heard. Period.

El Cielo
El Cielo
Price: CDN$ 12.87
26 used & new from CDN$ 6.81

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius, June 9 2003
This review is from: El Cielo (Audio CD)
I was writing an enormous review on this very CD yesterday when my computer froze and shut itself down. Yet, I still find it very necessary to review Dredg's masterpiece, El Cielo.
This CD is, without a doubt, one of the most profound and incredible CDs in my repetoire. In my opinion, no band has ever made a more intriguing CD and no band may ever make another one quite like it (except, perhaps, if that band is Dredg).
Many people say that Leitmotif is better, but while that is a great album as well, I can't justify that. The level of musicianship, production, lyrics, and the general mood of this album is simply unmatched. I can easily see why it took three years to release this album since their last one, it is a true masterpiece in every sense of the word. Few bands can justify being called artists. Dredg justifies it.
In most bands, you can pick out a member that sets the pace for everything and you can thank or blame him for it. With Dredg, as hard as you try, you can't pick out a distinct portion of the music, it simply is, it's simply Dredg. Gavin is one of the most talented and gifted vocalists and lyricists of our time. He paints pictures with his voice and brings the listener on a musical journey that, at its best moments, both excites you and chills you. Mark's guitarwork can range everywhere from ambience to hard driving distortion but remains tasteful throughout. Drew's bass, if you have a decent stereo, will hit you in the chest like a hammer, but is as funky and musical as any jazz bassist. Dino, in my opinion, is the best drummer I've ever heard. He was good on Leitmotif, but his drummer on El Cielo is amazing and live he steps it up another notch. Phenomenal drummer. All of these colors make up the painting that is Dredg's El Cielo.
I simply don't know if I'll ever own a more amazing album.

Tao Te Ching Personal
Tao Te Ching Personal
by S Mitchell
Price: CDN$ 13.36
30 used & new from CDN$ 5.70

3.0 out of 5 stars confused, but looking for a good read, March 28 2001
This review is from: Tao Te Ching Personal (Paperback)
CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE TELL ME WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT? I wanna read The Starseed Transmissions and this book, I haven't yet, but I would like to know what they're actually about. If it's about making your own religion or some hippie crap like that, I don't wanna read it, but if it's a good read and isn't all poems, then I'd very much like to give it a read. somebody email me at drkatzfanman@hotmail.com and give me your review and tell me whats up please! thanks a lot.

Starseed Transmissions
Starseed Transmissions
by Ken Carey
Price: CDN$ 11.67
41 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Um..., March 23 2000
This review is from: Starseed Transmissions (Paperback)
I've never read this book, and it sounds a bit like a hippy book to me, but Our Lady Peace wrote a song about it and, in that respect, it's good. OLP forever!

Buckcherry
Buckcherry
Price: CDN$ 7.21
35 used & new from CDN$ 1.17

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Album Ever, Jan. 30 2000
This review is from: Buckcherry (Audio CD)
i bought the cd last year and it is the best cd i own. strangely enough though, my cd does not have the track dirty mind on it. weird huh? oh well, still the best cd ever.