Profile for Neal C. Reynolds > Reviews

Content by Neal C. Reynolds

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Neal C. Reynolds (Indianapolis, Indiana)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Bad Seed Pa
Bad Seed Pa
by William March
17 used & new from CDN$ 0.29

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the great all time chillers, May 19 2004
This review is from: Bad Seed Pa (Paperback)
This book stands up beautfully even today. The story of "sweet" little Rhoda actually seems more plausible today than it did when first written. The author did have to go to considerable pains to create suspension of disbelief in the story's plausibility, and he succeeded.
The book was made into a stage play and a movie. The movie suffered because the book ending was in that day and age contrary to the production code. So if you saw the movie, absolutely read the book and don't expect the same ending.

Crime School
Crime School
42 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Apparantly a much-loved heroine, but not by me...not yet, Jan. 6 2004
I wonder if I'm not a masochist. I hated this ... from the first book and while other readers gave up on her after a couple of books, I kept plodding away. As despicable as I found the main character, the writing had a powerful spell over me as I found myself involved in Mallory's perverted and quirky world. STONE ANGEL was a turning point, and this book continues the revelations started in the earlier book.
Part of what makes me continue reading the series is the hope that there is some spark of humanity in the woman, and there are indeed times that it looks like there is one there, but then there's the feeling that the character has coldly manipulated those around her to believe there's something that isn't there.
If you are to tackle this series, you should start from the beginning, MALLORY'S ORACLE, and be prepared for a long arduous journey into the character's psyche. There is a feeling of development in this book, but there's also frustration because the development is slow in coming. And yet I feel now that there is something coming up in the series that will reward me for continuing my relationship with Mallory.

Stone Angel
Stone Angel
Price: CDN$ 9.49
62 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars A turning point, Jan. 6 2004
I'm definitely in the minority here in that I found Mallory in the first three books to be a thoroughly despicable character who grew more hateful in each succeeding book. Unlike most of those who agree with me, I've gritted my teeth and continued through the series cringing as the woman mows over other characters with complete lack of human compassion or sense of her impact on those around her.
I do agree that Carol O'Connell is a powerful story teller who brings her quirky and often surrealistic characters to life. With this fourth book in the series, I do feel more of a hook which keeps me reading Mallory. This book takes her to her roots and I find myself beginning to understand her a bit better, but I still have trouble liking her. And I have difficulty respecting Charles Butler, rather pitying his obsessive love for this person. But although I felt as if I was plodding through the book, I feel a growing fascination.
So in this review, I speak especially to those others who hate Mallory in tentatively recommending the book. You do learn more about her and the revelation as to why she insists on being called Mallory rather than by her given name. You may well find yourself caught up a bit more in this series. I read somewhere that Mallory is definitely, for many of us an acquired taste and my reaction was who in his right mind would want to acquire a taste for her.
But as I labelled this review, it is a turning point and if you've gotten this far in the series, it may be worth your while to continue with this book.

Black Butterflies
Black Butterflies
21 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Strong stuff, not for the timid or the easily offended., Jan. 2 2004
This collection isn't for the faint-of-heart, nor for the easily offended. John Shirley holds nothing back, and these stories are thoroughly chilling, sexually perverse, and from a world we don't really want to know. We meet characters we don't really want to know such as the title lady in the first story, "Barbara", a victim of a carjacking who in her weirdness takes over the situation and takes her carjackers into her own perverted world. Then there's the cop who suspects his partner has murdered his own wife. A subway trip during an earthquake. A probing into the psyches of slasher movie fans. A televangelist telecasting from one of the most satanic appearing rock cafes. An immortal slaughtering Earth's remaining population. These are stories to be taken one at a time. Maybe they're not all great, but you'll find several you won't forget.

Daily Word 2004 Calendar
Daily Word 2004 Calendar
by Unity School of Christianity of Unity Village Mo
Edition: Spiral-bound

4.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing format, Jan. 2 2004
I've always enjoyed the Daily Word box calendars which were a page-a-day in format and you could tear each page off and carry it with you for the day or share it with others over coffee, or whatever. But now, these calendars have a spiral format and when you get to June 30, you flip it over and read the devotions on the back of the pages you've previously read.
The inspirations are the same, and the thoughts are nicely arranged in a sequence which develops spiritual thinking throughout the year. So I still give this a high rating, But I miss the page-a-day format.

The Dark Tower 1: The Gunslinger, Expanded and Revised Edition
The Dark Tower 1: The Gunslinger, Expanded and Revised Edition
by Stephen King
15 used & new from CDN$ 44.43

4.0 out of 5 stars Get into the series before you judge it...., Dec 4 2003
This is a necessary introduction to the Dark Tower series, arguably Stephen King's greatest contribution to fantasy.
It's not truly a stand alone book. Therefore, you're not going to have complete understanding of where this is going until you get there. Therefore, the best way to read it is to just experience it.
Roland in this book is best pictured as a western gunslinger, but we do learn that isn't his origin. Nor do we know for sure exactly where all this is occuring. A significant scene has Roland asking Mr. Brown whether he believes in an afterlife, and Mr. Brown answers that he thinks this is it.
This opening volume takes us with Roland in his pursuit of the Man In Black. Don't expect to find out just who this personage is. Just go with the trip and then grab the next volume.
Trust me, you'll be glad you did.

Blue Moon
Blue Moon
by Peter Duchin
25 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly unrealistic nostalgic fun, Dec 3 2003
This review is from: Blue Moon (Mass Market Paperback)
Ah yes, this is full of nostalgia, maybe almost but not quite to the point of irritation.
Philip Damon, bearing a strong resemblance to band leader/co-author Peter Duchin, plays amateur detective when a man accompanying a woman who is remarkably similar in appearance to Damon's murdered wife is himself murdered. Hobnobbing with practically every celebrity who was prominent in 1963, he investigates the murder much to the consternation of black San Francisco Police Inspector Hercules Platt who is having his own problem convincing his superiors and those he deals with that he is a very capable inspector.
This is a light-hearted portrayal of the early '60's alluding to the social changes going on at the time including racial issues, growing drug use, rock & roll replacing swing era music, and acceptance of gays, as well as providing us with an old-fashioned type of mystery featuring the amateur sleuth.

Missing
Missing
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 32.95
5 used & new from CDN$ 19.95

5.0 out of 5 stars A score that's one of the best features of the movie, Dec 3 2003
This review is from: Missing (Audio CD)
The James Horner score along with the magnificent cinematography and Cate Blanchett's performance make THE MISSING a movie to see. The score alone is a magnificent work portraying the expansiveness of the New Mexico setting, the emotions of the movie, and is definitely a score you'll value in your collection.

The Man Who Cast Two Shadows
The Man Who Cast Two Shadows
Price: CDN$ 9.49
73 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars I sure wouldn't want this woman in my life!, Oct. 9 2003
This is the second Mallory book and if I thought she was a cold hearted witch in her first book, I lack words to describe her in this one. Completely lacking in compassion, she bulldozes her way through an investigation of a woman's murder without regard to how she's messing up their lives. This complete lack of feeling extends to animals including the murder victim's unfortunate cat who's suffered enough abuse without landing in the care of a woman who proceeds to use the cat to trap the murderer. And kids, forget it. Given, she runs into child prostitutes and other unfortunates, but she's too busy to follow through when she places one girl into detox, too busy to make any arrangements for the poor girl to go anyplace where she'll have a chance when she gets out of detox. She's also too busy to be concerned about a boy in a very strange situation who calls her for help. The ending practically indicates that the author has no more concern for her characters, be they adult, child, or animal, than does her leading character.
The story is told in seven very long chapters, chapters that are difficult to get through if you're as unsympathetic to the main characters as I was. We are given insight into Mallory's childhood, but what we're told doesn't as much explain why Mallory is what she is as it shows that she was the same cold and calculating individual as a 7 year old as she is now. One reviewer made it clear that she's not reading any more Mallory, and the ending of this book should keep me from reading more, but I have this hope that maybe the author will allow Mallory to someday become a human being.

Mallory's Oracle
Mallory's Oracle
Price: CDN$ 9.89
77 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars A cold-hearted b**** of a heroine, Oct. 9 2003
Hard-boiled detectives are one thing, but this woman's over the top. This first novel introduces us to Kathy Mallory, but don't you call her Kathy! Her fellow workers don't much like her and I don't either. Charles likes her and he's a rather messed up guy himself. We first meet her when she beats up a kid, and though the kid's a punk himself, this just isn't the kind of behavior I'd expect from New York's finest.
The story for what it is takes place in 11 rather long chapters and occupies itself with victims and suspects who are difficult to care for.
I am planning on reading more in the series, but only because I'm hoping that the author allows Mallory to eventually mellow out and have some kind of honor and compassion.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20