Profile for alwayscurious > Reviews

Content by alwayscurious

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

alwayscurious

A Tale for the Time Being
A Tale for the Time Being
by Ruth Ozeki
Price: CDN$ 18.81
6 used & new from CDN$ 11.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Spirit Lives, April 28 2014
I mourned the loss of Gabriel Marquis, but now I have another author to internalize and allow to change me. This book is excellent on all fronts - as literature, as philosophy, as inspiration, as entertainment. It even pushed me to Google Quantum Mechanics and learn more physics than college offered me.

The River: A Memoir of a life in the Border Cities
The River: A Memoir of a life in the Border Cities
by Paul Vasey
Price: CDN$ 15.64
26 used & new from CDN$ 6.77

4.0 out of 5 stars local color, Dec 2 2013
This book for the most part brings us heartwarming "truthy" local stories and characters memorable to the author. For one who has lived in the area for many decades, nostalgia is stirred in the names and places. Toward the end of the book, more history and facts take hold, which whets the appetite for even more. I did Google the Jay Treaty - Mrs. Major (my personal favorite) was right, it is worth knowing about. And Mr. Vasey, I recommend you put visiting the accessible islands on your bucket list. I bet some of those river boatmen would love to show you around.

A Memorable Murder
A Memorable Murder
Price: CDN$ 9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars like playing a game, June 22 2013
I'm not really a mystery fan, but this was not a bad intro to the genre. It was a little like playing a game. Don't mysteries usually start with an unknown perpetrator and then the reader is kept guessing who-done-it to the final disclosure? This one started with the reader in on the stages of the crime and then figuring out how it would be revealed to the public, thus effecting politicians and corporations.

The Social Animal: The Hidden Sources of Love, Character, and Achievement
The Social Animal: The Hidden Sources of Love, Character, and Achievement
by David Brooks
88 used & new from CDN$ 0.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Thinking Past the Debates and Polls, April 9 2012
This is a book for the nonprofessional trying to make sense of the craziness in human behavior and beliefs we see on the news (and in debates). While there were statements that I would have deleted when editing, on the whole I couldn't put it down. It filled out my appreciation of the power of the unconscious mind (you know, the part of the mind to which meditating gives space by quieting the conscious mind). Frankly, the story of Erica and Harold sprinkled through the book provided color and application that kept me reading. Now I want to read Thinking Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman.