Profile for Amanda > Reviews

Content by Amanda

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Amanda (Newfoundland)

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane
The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane
by Kate DiCamillo
26 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars One for the books!, April 14 2008
This book is a jewel - seriously - it's for everyone and anyone. I'm going to give it to everyone for Christmases to come. It almost makes me want to have children so I can read it to them.

Feng Shui Life Planner
Feng Shui Life Planner
by Lilian Too
23 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars not for beginners, Aug. 26 2007
This review is from: Feng Shui Life Planner (Paperback)
It is just the same as the other books she has published ... I prefer 'Total Feng Shui' myself. but there are differences ... if one wanted to cast horoscopes for your house ... or learn the very basics of Tao Feng Shui, this is very helpful.
I'm not sure what the different methods are ... but there's Feng shui like the westerners know it ... and there is Flying Star feng shui and Eight mansions ... this bhook as more info about the last two than the other books, which was QUITE helpful, because the other books were super confusing when it came to those methods ... I had NO IDEA what was happening with Flying Star and the Eight Mansions ... but now it is a little more clear.

So I rated this book 4/5 for the clearing up the Deeper Learning's of Feng shui, but if this is your first time getting close to this monster ... hee hee ... go for 'Total Feng shui' by Lilian Too ... or the KISS (Keep it Simple Series) by DK Feng Shui books instead.

The Da Vinci Code: A Novel
The Da Vinci Code: A Novel
by Dan Brown
Price: CDN$ 20.69
265 used & new from CDN$ 0.18

5.0 out of 5 stars Great ... but not orginal, Nov. 22 2004
It's a great book. I loved it. I recomemended it to all my friends that read stuff like that, and I'm getting a copy for my mom for christmas. But at the same time, it's not orginal. It reminded me a lot of Katherine Neville's 'The Magic Circle', but better ... a lot better. It had the whole reglious conspriacy thing and a touch of romance ... just a touch.
All and all though ... great book.

Gold of the Gods
Gold of the Gods
by Erich Von Daniken
13 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Refreshingly Insane, Aug. 29 2004
This review is from: Gold of the Gods (Paperback)
This guy is crazy. I mean, call him what you want, but you must admit crazy ... he is.
Don't get me wrong, I love him. He is my hero. But I'm not sure about some things he says.
He believes what he says with such conviction; you can't help but be swept away with him.
He wrote 'Chariots of the Gods' before this one (Gold of the Gods) and in that he did a calculation about the circumference of the Pyramid ... and in that 'equation' he multiplied a number by 1 ... why would someone do that ... I mean, I'm not a math wiz by any stretch of the imagination, but I think anything multiplied by 1 is itself ... i could be wrong.
But this is not a negative review, I enjoy everything he writes, I just don't necessarily believe everything is writes. He has some very interesting and well-thought out ideas, of which he backs up with good evidence. It's just sometimes to come across sounding like a madman.
And that's what I like. He is anything but boring, and this book in particular is very stimulating.
Happy Reading.

Invisible Monsters
Invisible Monsters
by Chuck Palahniuk
Price: CDN$ 11.55
52 used & new from CDN$ 2.41

4.0 out of 5 stars A surprise at every turn, July 17 2004
This review is from: Invisible Monsters (Paperback)
After a read (and loved ... thanks evan) Survivor, i though this author would be one of those authors who wouldn't keep my interest for very long. YOu know what I mean, the shocking the distrubing and eventually ... the boring. but no. This one held up. This book was on my shelf for a long time until I actually picked it up, but I was so glad i did.
It's such an easy read. i found myself chapters into it before I knew it. I really enjoied this book.
BUT:
and yes there is a but. Some may not 'get it', some people of a certain mindset, who may not understand the opposite sex, or human nature may not understand it and think it just a story about a vain lady. then that's the case, it may help you understand the opposite sex or human nature more, or ... if you're boyond the point of understanding and just don't care ... well ... you woudn't be looking up Chuck Paliniuk book now would you.
So, all in all. Great. Thumbs way up!

Cube (Widescreen Signature Series) (Sous-titres français) [Import]
Cube (Widescreen Signature Series) (Sous-titres français) [Import]
DVD ~ Nicole de Boer
Price: CDN$ 16.27
28 used & new from CDN$ 7.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatness, Dec 6 2003
Greatness is all I have to say. Wow. So Great. Everything was great, writing, directing, acting ... everything.
I'm afarid to see the sequel; it can't live up the the first one.
A must see.

Questioning the Millennium: A Rationalist's Guide to a Precisely Arbitrary Countdown
by Stephen Jay Gould
51 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A joy to read, Aug. 13 2003
A joy to read. Gould makes a normally dry and tastless topic, humourous, and enjoyable. I loved the book, and everthing else by Gould I've ever read.

Fingerprints of the Gods
Fingerprints of the Gods
by Graham Hancock
Edition: Audio Cassette

5.0 out of 5 stars Mind-expanding, Aug. 13 2003
Such an interesting read. Every page is something more interesting than the last. It's the kind of writing the encourages you to think about what he is saying, not just read it.

Last flesh: Life in the transhuman era
Last flesh: Life in the transhuman era
by Christopher Dewdney
23 used & new from CDN$ 3.35

3.0 out of 5 stars "Resistance is Futitle", Aug. 13 2003
An interesting view ... interesting. Kind'a the future of humanity as Borgs. he brings some very keen points to light. For instance, after reading a section on how people separte themseleves from the people surrounding them, I can't wear earphones from my CD player anymore. I see it as rude now, where before I didn't give it a second thought.

The Silmarillion
The Silmarillion
by J.R.R. Tolkien
Price: CDN$ 9.49
47 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for everyone, Jan. 15 2003
This review is from: The Silmarillion (Paperback)
Don't get me wrong, I loved the book, but I can understand why people disliked it, it is a little long winded. But if the other books (the hobbit and the lord of the rings) left you with a few question, this book is good for you, but if you're not into the whole mythology of it all don't bother.