ARRAY(0xb464b984)

Profile for Gloria Ferris > Reviews

Content by Gloria Ferris

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Gloria Ferris

Page: 1 | 2
Really Dead: A Ria Butler Mystery
Really Dead: A Ria Butler Mystery
by J.E. Forman
Price: CDN$ 10.82
28 used & new from CDN$ 8.32

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Dead is a real treat, Jan. 12 2014
If you read REALLY DEAD in the dead of winter me, you will be happily transported to an island paradise with warm breezes, rich foliage, hot sand, tropical drinks … and, a hotel staff member who may not be what he seems, a host of “artistic” temperaments, and a young woman who may or may not be missing – or dead. Rhia Butler desperately craves some alone time but gets swept up in the drama created by a reality TV show film crew. Her hunky boyfriend, Glenn, continues the search for the missing girl in Toronto and, well, worlds collide. Rhia is a likable, savvy protagonist and I want to read more adventures in future. I wouldn't mind seeing more of Glenn either.

The Dead Scholar (A Quin and Morgan Mystery)
The Dead Scholar (A Quin and Morgan Mystery)
Price: CDN$ 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The Dead Scholar, Sept. 4 2013
I've read and enjoyed the first three Quin and Morgan Mysteries by John Moss so was really looking forward to The Dead Scholar. It doesn't disappoint. There are many suspects (all Sir Francis Bacon Society members) but, far from confusing the reader, or the detectives, it becomes clear that the backgrounds and past experiences of these individuals shaped the events that ended in death. Even the dead man, the ominous Professor Kurtz, becomes a major player. The relationship each suspect had with the victim is complicated and haunting.
The story is set partly in Toronto (Is Philosophers Walk real? I hope so.), and partly on a wealthy man’s holiday island. The island sojourn reminds me of a Canadian version of a British manor house mystery, with the suspects and detectives holed up together. A life-changing discovery shakes Det. Morgan’s world but doesn’t prevent him and Miranda from seeking the solution to Prof. Kurtz’s death. The ending is surprising but satisfactory.

Black Water (A Pat Tierney Mystery)
Black Water (A Pat Tierney Mystery)
Price: CDN$ 4.43

5.0 out of 5 stars Small towns - big crimes, Aug. 22 2013
BLACK WATER is the second in the Pat Tierney mystery series. I would recommend Black Water to anyone who enjoys “small town” mysteries, as I do. The protagonist, Pat Tierney, is likable and very believable. Her family, co-workers, and friends could be people I know – but I haven’t run across murders like Pat does! But, once again, as in SAFE HARBOR, Pat holds nothing back in protecting those she loves. The changing landscape of early spring in Ontario is beautifully drawn, when the ice on the northern lakes is fragile and dangerous, and weather and temperature become important components of the plot. I look forward to further adventures of Pat and her family and friends. The only question is, will the next crime take place in spring or summer in the Highlands? A very enjoyable read.

Book of Stolen Tales
Book of Stolen Tales
Offered by Penguin Group Canada
Price: CDN$ 14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A mystical, mythological story, Aug. 22 2013
Book Two of the Mesopotamian Trilogy is a treat for anyone who enjoys “quest” stories and, since the quest is linked to some fairy tales, the engaging protagonist, John Madison, travels through many countries and cultures to find his answers. We know the original fairy tales were never meant for children and the ancient book he seeks holds some very dark secrets. This story was hard to put down, and I am looking forward to Book Three. McIntosh weaves past and present effortlessly, and blended fact with fiction seamlessly. I loved it!

Sweet Karoline
Sweet Karoline
Price: CDN$ 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Deep, Dark & Delicious, Aug. 4 2013
This review is from: Sweet Karoline (Kindle Edition)
I have read and enjoyed the entire series of Astolfo’s Emily Taylor mysteries. Sweet Karoline has some of the same elements, i.e. family secrets, depravity of the human spirit, cultural crossovers. This book begins in Los Angeles and plays out in rural Ontario near Brantford during a steamy summer. I was hooked from the opening sentence, “I met Ethan on the day that I killed Karoline.” At the wind-up, the hits just keep coming, and I wasn’t expecting any of them. I would recommend this book as a well-written mystery story that will leave you with much to think about. One thing: if a door slams in the night, pay attention.

Game Theory: A Katerina Carter Fraud Thriller (Katerina Carter Fraud Thriller Series)
Price: CDN$ 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast-Paced Thriller!, Jan. 23 2013
Follow the money! I enjoyed GAME THEORY, second in the Katerina Carter fraud investigator series, even more than EXIT STRATEGY (which is darn good!). Cross has a winning combo here – an out-of-the-ordinary protagonist, an appealing supporting cast, and an intriguing plot line. I look forward to Kat’s further adventures as she peels back the layers of high-finance skulduggery to expose the truth.

Under a Texas Star
Under a Texas Star
by Alison Bruce
Price: CDN$ 11.57
14 used & new from CDN$ 11.56

4.0 out of 5 stars Saddle Up for an Entertaining Read, Oct. 26 2012
This review is from: Under a Texas Star (Paperback)
I found this tale of the old West to be charming and unexpected. The setting of "Texas back in the day" is so well-drawn and realistic, I felt I was there. The protagonists, Marley and Jase, are attractive, sympathetic characters whose lives didn't begin on page one. I was so glad ... well, never mind, no spoilers here! The plot is seamlessly woven throughout the story, and the ending is thrilling and satisfying. I do hope there will be a sequel.

Deadly Legacy: A Carmedy & Garrett Mystery
Deadly Legacy: A Carmedy & Garrett Mystery
by Alison Bruce
Price: CDN$ 15.42
17 used & new from CDN$ 12.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Just a Hop and a Skip into the Future, Oct. 26 2012
This is an entertaining crime story set in the near future. The technical gadgets in this book make total sense and,a few years from now, we'll have them for sure, as well as the forensic advancements that help solve the murders. The protagonists, Kate and Jake, are real people. They both try to do the right thing, starting off on different pages, but eventually working together to unravel the mystery. Kate's and Jake's relationship isn't tied up with a pretty bow at the end, and that leaves plenty of possibilities for the future. I always enjoy that dance!

Rowena Through the Wall: Expanded Edition
Rowena Through the Wall: Expanded Edition
by Melodie Campbell
Price: CDN$ 16.59
14 used & new from CDN$ 13.56

4.0 out of 5 stars Set Your Inhibitions Aside, Oct. 26 2012
Oh, my. Imagine a world without women. Then, imagine one woman trapped in that world. With hot men everywhere she goes, Rowena makes the best of it. This story made me laugh out loud in places, and I did enjoy the fashions and weapons that Rowena and the boys displayed. Rowena Through the Wall is a story for those who enjoy time travel, adventure, and close encounters of the across-the-universe kind!

The Goddaughter
The Goddaughter
by Melodie Campbell
Price: CDN$ 9.45
31 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Romp on the Wild Side, Oct. 24 2012
This review is from: The Goddaughter (Paperback)
The Goddaughter made me laugh out loud, and generally left me with a good feeling. The protagonist is likable and smart, and the other characters so well-drawn, I'm sure I would recognize them if I met them on the street! Kudos to the author who seems to have a knack for telling a story by making the reader see the action in living, hilarious colour.
Gloria Ferris